12-Team College Football Playoff?

Not a dig at you but that is a horrible idea. Taking the best sport and the best time of year and shortening it for anyone outside the top 12! College Football Season goes by too fast as it is, don't speed it up!
What about shortening the scheduled season and then if a school does not qualify, they play an additional 3 post season bowl games. That way you don't get fewer games.

Advertisement
Like I said, I'll always be a proponent of the 8 team model but I'm also fine with this. It eliminates my concern about the SEC getting more than 1 bye AND sticks it to Notre Dame. Just pleeeeease never expand it beyond 12 teams.

The reason you are seeing the same teams is because they are the best teams. You really want to see crappier teams in the playoffs? We should get in if we are good enough, not because they let the rabble in.
I think more teams making the playoff will spread out the elite 5* more. Over time more playoff teams will equal more parity.

Advertisement
Like I said, I'll always be a proponent of the 8 team model but I'm also fine with this. It eliminates my concern about the SEC getting more than 1 bye AND sticks it to Notre Dame. Just pleeeeease never expand it beyond 12 teams.

I posted this earlier:

So if Notre Dame is 12-0 and ranked #1, and they have to play a 1st round game because they're not a conference champ, they're going to be SCREAMING to join the ACC in football.

It's fair and equitable because a conference championship is an objective accomplishment. You don't have a bunch of dipsh!tes in a room debating margin-of-victory and strength-of-schedule.

I'm not sure why people are being so obtuse on this issue, but the NCAA Tournament is not the 68 best teams. It is a combination of conference champs (and often-times, the conference champ gets hot in the post-season and is not necessarily the "best" team in the conference) and the best at-large teams.

This is not some sort of discussion of whether the Pac 12 champ is one of the 16 best teams in the country each year. The Pac 12 is a god**** Power 5 conference. Some years, the Pac 12 champ may be Top 5, some years the Pac 12 champ may be Top 25, but the Pac 12 is still Power Five. Doesn't matter.
If Conference championships are objective, then so are w-l records, but anyone with a brain knows that records with the same number of wins and losses arent all the same. And if you want to go with conference championships are objective, then g5 champs are just as valid. It’s the p5 vs g5 that was subjectively labeled based on their history and their ability to sell tv deals. And if you want to take out sos and margin of victory and the eye test, then everyone might as well be ranked by their record. In that case, we were tied with 40 other teams last year as the 4th best team in the Country. What a recruiting pitch…

Here is what it would have looked like for this past season:

12 team playoff
1 - Bama (SEC Champ) 11-0
2 - Clemson (ACC Champ) 10-1
3 - OSU (Big 10 Champ) 6-0
4 - Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) 8-2

5 - Notre Dame (at large) 10-1 v 12 - USC (Pac 12 Champ) 5-1
6 - Texas A&M (at large) 8-1 v 11 - Indiana (at large) 6-1
7 - Florida (at large) 8-3 v 10 - ISU (at large) 8-3
8 - Cincy (AAC Champ) 9-0 v 9 - UGA (at large) 7-2

8 team playoff (5 P5 Champs, 1 G5 Champ, 2 at large)
1 - Bama v 8 - Texas A&M
2 - Clemson v 7 - Notre Dame
3 - OSU v 6 - USC
4 - Oklahoma v 5 - Cincy

Several ****** games in the opening round for the 12 team. For the 8 team, yes Bama still wins this year just because they were by far the best team but its not going to be like that every year.
Yeah some years Clemson will win it or osu. And Oregon was the pac 12 champ last year

Advertisement
So 1 thru 4 get byes
5 thru 12 play each other with the high seed having home field.
Top 4 seeds would have 3 games max to win it all
Lower seeds would need the extra game, so 4.

Thats a lot of games.

My question is ---How many regular season games will we have knowing that you could potentially have 4 postseason games.

As a fan I love it but will the players?
Good training for those aspiring to be NFL players. I do think the regular season should be capped at 10 games in this format, 2 OOC and 8 conference games for all. Then of course the Conference Championship games. That's max 15 games if a low seed wins it all. CFP Champ now plays 15 to win it all.....no increase in games played. Win-Win for college football, players and fans because the opt outs will stop in the top games.

Apparently the latest 12 team proposal would give 4 byes to the highest ranked conference winners so at least we'd avoid the SEC getting two of them. I still like 8 as the overall number better but the competitive disadvantage of a conference receiving more than one bye AND getting to play weaker seeds in Round 2 was a big worry that apparently won't happen.

Apparently the latest 12 team proposal would give 4 byes to the highest ranked conference winners so at least we'd avoid the SEC getting two of them. I still like 8 as the overall number better but the competitive disadvantage of a conference receiving more than one bye AND getting to play weaker seeds in Round 2 was a big worry that apparently won't happen.

If it happens like this (12 team scenario), I’m just going to look at the SEC reaction, and especially Alabama. Assuming the SEC reactions are all the same, I’ll be happy if they are disgruntled.

Then I will know it’s something that will at least have some leveling of the playing field.

Advertisement
existing lower bowls would be ;ocations for early playoff rounds. Helps everyone!

It's good for those bowls if the money is there.

Will they even sell out though? It's a big ask to have fan bases travel for two games, but three and possibly four?

I'm in favor of 8 for sure, but 12, maybe. The top four getting to sit out, rest up, and get healthy while their upcoming oppements smack the **** out of themselves trying to move on.

That would certainly make getting a top 4 spot a priority. The 12 team idea largely makes sense as put forth in the article though.

I love that people claim this is going to an objective process where we will “decide the champion on the field”. In reality, we will be giving the CFP committee more power than they’ve ever had. They will now be choosing six at large teams AND deciding the entire order for the bracket.

I love that people claim this is going to an objective process where we will “decide the champion on the field”. In reality, we will be giving the CFP committee more power than they’ve ever had. They will now be choosing six at large teams AND deciding the entire order for the bracket.
There's no perfect model and I was always in favor of only letting the committee determine 3 at-larges (or 2 if you're giving an autobid to a G5 team) in an 8 team format. The reason this IS an improvement though is because you ARE injecting at least SOME important objectivity into the process.

Win your conference and you're in.

Win your conference and not suck as bad as the Pac-23 champion and you get a bye.

I'll take the ability to count on those two factors each year in exchange for the good chance that we might get screwed as a conference runner-up and want to count on an at-large bid. Would sure as **** beat the status quo where we might one day win the ACC and get shut completely out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Looks like a done deal. If the playoff field is 12 teams, I don't think it's unreasonable to say Miami is playoff caliber.

This is absolutely massive for recruiting btw. A kid does not have to go to bama or Clemson anymore to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

The argument that D1 CFB should adopt the post-season model is not as compelling as some of you think.

I keep seeing people propose ideas that will make this sport's regular season less interesting/meaningful.

College Basketball, NBA, NHL, MLB all have one thing in common: a lot of viewers don't tune in consistently until playoff time.

Why? Because most people recognize that every game does NOT matter for the first 3/4ths of the season. A team could drop 4 or 5 games straight — in any of the sports listed above — and it might not cost them in the grand scheme of things.

College Football has always been different because the post-season is so selective and there is zero room for error. It makes fans sit on the edge of their seats all season long to figure out who is going to make the playoff. A random loss in week 8, for example, could spell doom for any team.

No other sport's regular season can measure up to that. The consequences to losing are simply on another level. By expanding the field to 12, you take that element away.

Expanding to 8 teams would be tolerable, just because it would be nice to see some fresh faces in the playoff, but at the end of the day.....going to 12 or 16 teams would hurt the sport as a whole.

College football has the best regular season of any sport. Can we please not ruin that?

FINALLY!

Thank u!

IF that ever happens, you can stop following the system then. there is zero doubt that the best team in the country won the NC under the CFP so there is no argument. and the fact that you want more meaningless games in order to get to the same top 2 or 4 teams only increases the likelihood of tainted games due to concussion protocols or other injuries in blowouts. and the CFP is able to take injuries into account when ranking the teams, so this is already addressed.
2014 TCU is the only team I'd argue had a solid chance and got left out.

Advertisement
Back