• Attention: Register today to view CanesInSight Ad-Free for 7 days.

12-Team College Football Playoff?

TheOriginalCane

All American
Miami would have been in the playoffs in 2000 under the current system. But I can't find a season in college football history where everyone said that the #13 team got hosed.

This is that fake equivalency garbage.

The argument to expand is NOT that any particular team "got hosed". It is simply that teams should PLAY for the championship, not some sh!tty bowl game system.

Do we REALISTICALLY argue that we need 68 teams in the NCAA Tournament, otherwise someone gets "hosed"? Hell no. If fact, the WORST team to ever win a national championship was #8 seed Villanova, thus one can logically argue that only 32 teams are "needed" for the NCAA Tournament to avoid "anyone getting hosed".

But, when people do NOT make the fake argument of "who gets hosed", and instead focus on giving conference champs a chance to play for the title (whether are not they are in the Top 4 or Top 8 or Top 16 or Top 32), then you have a fair and equitable system.

I'd prefer to see no "first round byes". Tournament of 8 or Tournament of 16. I'm fine with either one.

And enough of Dmoney's "best regular season in sports". It hasn't been that way in a long time. Almost every Power 5 team avoids playing other Power 5 teams in the early season. Two-thirds of the season is just same-old, same-old conference games. And the nonsense about "every game counts" went out the window when LSU won a title with 2 losses. And don't even get me started on the horror of all these "pre-arranged contractual obligation games" that have replaced the Bowl system. Yeah, #3 AAC vs. #5 SEC is soooooo fvcking "worth" hanging onto the craptastic system of a "Final Four and everyone else gets bowl games".

The magical myth of the college football regular season was destroyed in the last round of expansion. Now it is time to let teams play for the title, preferably in a Sweet Sixteen.

But, yeah, some guys are still gonna try to fvck that corpse of "every game counts". It's dead. Move on.

Miami[]_[]Smoke

Recruit
This is that fake equivalency garbage.

The argument to expand is NOT that any particular team "got hosed". It is simply that teams should PLAY for the championship, not some sh!tty bowl game system.

Do we REALISTICALLY argue that we need 68 teams in the NCAA Tournament, otherwise someone gets "hosed"? Hell no. If fact, the WORST team to ever win a national championship was #8 seed Villanova, thus one can logically argue that only 32 teams are "needed" for the NCAA Tournament to avoid "anyone getting hosed".

But, when people do NOT make the fake argument of "who gets hosed", and instead focus on giving conference champs a chance to play for the title (whether are not they are in the Top 4 or Top 8 or Top 16 or Top 32), then you have a fair and equitable system.

I'd prefer to see no "first round byes". Tournament of 8 or Tournament of 16. I'm fine with either one.

And enough of Dmoney's "best regular season in sports". It hasn't been that way in a long time. Almost every Power 5 team avoids playing other Power 5 teams in the early season. Two-thirds of the season is just same-old, same-old conference games. And the nonsense about "every game counts" went out the window when LSU won a title with 2 losses. And don't even get me started on the horror of all these "pre-arranged contractual obligation games" that have replaced the Bowl system. Yeah, #3 AAC vs. #5 SEC is soooooo fvcking "worth" hanging onto the craptastic system of a "Final Four and everyone else gets bowl games".

The magical myth of the college football regular season was destroyed in the last round of expansion. Now it is time to let teams play for the title, preferably in a Sweet Sixteen.

But, yeah, some guys are still gonna try to fvck that corpse of "every game counts". It's dead. Move on.
How is it fair and equitable to have conference champs be able to play for a NC jsut because they are conf champs? There are many teams better and more deserving than the PAc 12 champ almost every year. thats the opposite of fair to let an inferior team play for a NC jsut because they won a bad conference. and you're pointing out every exception in the history of college sports dating back 40 years. no system is going to cover every potential situation, not even your 8 or 16 team preference

Believe In Boris

Redshirt Freshman
Don't you think the 12 team playoff will have mandatory conference winners make the playoffs like all other NCAA tournaments? No doubt to me that you will have the champions of all power 5 conferences get an automatic bid. I'm assuming they will take 1 automatic group of 5 team. Leaving about 6 teams that will be "at large" so to speak.

TheOriginalCane

All American
How is it fair and equitable to have conference champs be able to play for a NC jsut because they are conf champs? There are many teams better and more deserving than the PAc 12 champ almost every year. thats the opposite of fair to let an inferior team play for a NC jsut because they won a bad conference. and you're pointing out every exception in the history of college sports dating back 40 years. no system is going to cover every potential situation, not even your 8 or 16 team preference

It's fair and equitable because a conference championship is an objective accomplishment. You don't have a bunch of dipsh!tes in a room debating margin-of-victory and strength-of-schedule.

I'm not sure why people are being so obtuse on this issue, but the NCAA Tournament is not the 68 best teams. It is a combination of conference champs (and often-times, the conference champ gets hot in the post-season and is not necessarily the "best" team in the conference) and the best at-large teams.

This is not some sort of discussion of whether the Pac 12 champ is one of the 16 best teams in the country each year. The Pac 12 is a goddamn Power 5 conference. Some years, the Pac 12 champ may be Top 5, some years the Pac 12 champ may be Top 25, but the Pac 12 is still Power Five. Doesn't matter.

TheOriginalCane

All American
Don't you think the 12 team playoff will have mandatory conference winners make the playoffs like all other NCAA tournaments? No doubt to me that you will have the champions of all power 5 conferences get an automatic bid. I'm assuming they will take 1 automatic group of 5 team. Leaving about 6 teams that will be "at large" so to speak.

I think your math (and justification) is spot-on.

ddann

Sophomore
I mentioned this in another thread but a major down side to all of this expansion crap is that a prestigious program with a down year would probably not be punished.

Lets say a team like Bama or O$U with a string of injuries could lose 3 games and still get in because the committee (or whatever selecition process they concoct) will say they are still one of the best 12 teams in the Nation.

Meanwhile other teams could go undefeated or have one loss and they will be like nope, not good enough.

It is way too arbitrary to me.
Eye test, bro.

LoungeLord

Junior

RealRussellPumps

Sophomore
People will disagree with me, but 8 and it should be the P5 conference champs, best G5 school based on playoff ranking, and the 2 highest non-conference champs.

Win your conference, you should have a chance at the CFB Playoffs.
This is the best solution. Would eliminate most of the crying as every conference winner is in automatically. If you don't win your conference, you have no room to complain about it.

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
The argument that D1 CFB should adopt the post-season model of every other sport is not as compelling as some of you think.

I keep seeing people propose ideas that will make this sport's regular season less interesting/meaningful.

College Basketball, NBA, NHL, MLB all have one thing in common: a lot of viewers don't tune in consistently until playoff time.

Why? Because most people recognize that every game does NOT matter for the first 3/4ths of the season. A team could drop 4 or 5 games straight — in any of the sports listed above — and it might not cost them in the grand scheme of things.

College Football has always been different because the post-season is so selective and there is zero room for error. It makes fans sit on the edge of their seats all season long to figure out who is going to make the playoff. A random loss in week 8, for example, could spell doom for any team.

No other sport's regular season can measure up to that. The consequences to losing are simply on another level. By expanding the field to 12, you take that element away.

Expanding to 8 teams would be tolerable, just because it would be nice to see some fresh faces in the playoff, but at the end of the day.....going to 12 or 16 teams would hurt the sport as a whole.

College football has the best regular season of any sport. Can we please not ruin that?

Last edited:

HighSeas

Sophomore
grandpadmoney.png

CaneDawgCrew

Sophomore
The argument that D1 CFB should adopt the post-season model is not as compelling as some of you think.

I've keep seeing people propose ideas that will make this sport's regular season less interesting/meaningful.

College Basketball, NBA, NHL, MLB all have one thing in common: a lot of viewers don't tune in consistently until playoff time.

Why? Because most people recognize that every game does NOT matter for the first 3/4ths of the season. A team could drop 4 or 5 games straight — in any of the sports listed above — and it might not cost them in the grand scheme of things.

College Football has always been different because the post-season is so selective and there is zero room for error. It makes fans sit on the edge of their seats all season long to figure out who is going to make the playoff. A random loss in week 8, for example, could spell doom for any team.

No other sport's regular season can measure up to that. The consequences to losing are simply on another level. By expanding the field to 12, you take that element away.

Expanding to 8 teams would be tolerable, just because it would be nice to see some fresh faces in the playoff, but at the end of the day.....going to 12 or 16 teams would hurt the sport as a whole.

College football has the best regular season of any sport. Can we please not ruin that?
As soon as the national champion is crowned immediately after the last regular season game then yes.

Until then, the post season still kind of means something.

You had some very good opinions though.

Usafcane88

Recruit
The argument that D1 CFB should adopt the post-season model is not as compelling as some of you think.

I've keep seeing people propose ideas that will make this sport's regular season less interesting/meaningful.

The reason 4 losses doesn't matter in MLB is because they play 162 freaking games. That's why people don't watch until it counts. Who has time for that? NBA & NHL are 82. Losing 1 game in CFB is like dropping 7 straight in the NHL or NBA. It's like dropping 13 straight in the MLB. The games matter because there are so few of them. That won't change.

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
The reason 4 losses doesn't matter in MLB is because they play 162 freaking games. That's why people don't watch until it counts. Who has time for that? NBA & NHL are 82. Losing 1 game in CFB is like dropping 7 straight in the NHL or NBA. It's like dropping 13 straight in the MLB. The games matter because there are so few of them. That won't change.
I think it will because you will have more 2 loss, maybe even 3 loss teams in the playoff.

Every game won’t matter, then. If an SEC team drops 2 games, so what? They’ll still make it in.

CaneDawgCrew

Sophomore
I think it will because you will have more 2 loss, maybe even 3 loss teams in the playoff.

Every game won’t matter, then. If an SEC team drops 2 games, so what? They’ll still make it in.
I remember growing up watching the Bowl games. It was such a great tradition with different conferences playing and it was a matter of conference/regional pride. Multiple bowls could impact who the NC would be. Which conference were better?

They ruined tradition and there is none today. Don't care if money related or other reasons but it is just what it is now.

You made a point in that it was so exciting because a week 8 loss could impact things. Why should a loss in week 8 be more damaging than a loss in week 2? You shouldn't be stuck deciding if an undefeated team loses their conference championship game to a team that was 11-1 going in should or shouldn't be in a sort of playoff.

I think the other divisions go 24 teams so I would say 12 or 16. You can have first round home matchups then give the rest to the bowls so they mean something. Nobody cares about UT San Antonio playing against North Texas in the WGAF Bowl presented by Nobody. Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta/Cotton/Outback/Peach/Sugar and other larger Bowls could be named starting in the Quarters.

Everybody has an opinion. Just don't mess with the annual Army/Navy game please.

Canedog

Multiple Trophy Winning Poster
Bak to da issue son, a 12 team playoff givez da U a ligit chance at playin after da regular seazin. As long as every won in up eshlawn of fooseball keeps droppin bags we gone need sum help! Quote me on dat!
Ewe rite Okee. Eye agrees a 12 teem playoff helps The U. Hey, you playin in the swamp golf blitz twomorrow?