12-Team College Football Playoff?

I don’t think it kills bowl games at all.Bowl games are dying more year after year cause there are waaaaaaay too many.You have ****** teams playing ****tier teams and not even their fanbases are watching.

You take this 12 team playoff and you include the bowls in this playoff structure and rotate them year to year and split the TV money ,which will be in the hundreds of millions maybe even billions of dollars equally between ALL schools and everyone will be better for it..
While I agree, I would still rather watch a ****ty college football game than pretty much anything that is out there now on TV labeled as entertainment.

Advertisement
You can still have your crappy bowl games too, it would be teams 13 through whatever.

I personally would like a 16 team playoff.

10 game regular season schedule, 9 conference with 1 OOC.

Most a team would play is 14. If teams wanted a 11 game schedule they can schedule just not required. 10 game regular season would be requirement with 2 built in bye weeks.

You guys do know that the Florida HIGH SCHOOL State Champion has to play 15 games, right?

1 kickoff classic. 10 regular season. 4 playoff.

The Super Bowl winner will play 19 or 20 games depending if they got a bye or not.

Why is it looked at as such an insurmountable task for a college team to play 16 or 17 games? The champion plays 15 already if they are not in the Big 12.

These guys could easily handle a one or two more games from an expanded playoff bracket. There is ZERO reason to cut regular season games to do this.
Good point, and playing 16-17 games is what happens on the FCS level, which they have been doing for years. The argument doesn't hold up,
How do you counter that it's OK for FCS teams to use the expanded playoff model but due to academics/player safety, etc the FBS teams aren't equipped to handle the same regimen.

Advertisement
It’s a disgrace.

They are trying to take away everything that makes CFB great. Now the sport will be the NFL with worse players.

Four is, and has always been, the right number.
I agree.

8, I think, would be fine.

But 12 teams just dilutes the regular season, which used to be the most meaningful of any sport.

Last edited:
You can still have your crappy bowl games too, it would be teams 13 through whatever.

I personally would like a 16 team playoff.

10 game regular season schedule, 9 conference with 1 OOC.

Most a team would play is 14. If teams wanted a 11 game schedule they can schedule just not required. 10 game regular season would be requirement with 2 built in bye weeks.
Not a dig at you but that is a horrible idea. Taking the best sport and the best time of year and shortening it for anyone outside the top 12! College Football Season goes by too fast as it is, don't speed it up!

It should be 8. With the top four getting “home field” in the first round. But I’m still more inclined to stick with four because I am one of those people like D$ that wants to keep the regular season as exciting and fun as possible. But all this is is a money grab so expansion will happen. There is never 4+ teams good enough to win a ring anyways

Advertisement
Anything that means we don’t have to watch Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State as much is a good idea.

so sick of those teams...everyone is. they’re killing the sport

Advertisement
You guys do know that the Florida HIGH SCHOOL State Champion has to play 15 games, right?

1 kickoff classic. 10 regular season. 4 playoff.

The Super Bowl winner will play 19 or 20 games depending if they got a bye or not.

Why is it looked at as such an insurmountable task for a college team to play 16 or 17 games? The champion plays 15 already if they are not in the Big 12.

These guys could easily handle a one or two more games from an expanded playoff bracket. There is ZERO reason to cut regular season games to do this.
Technically, with the portal if a player doesn't want to play in more games they can just transfer to a perennial loser.

Advertisement
I'm happy with 4 but if we're going to change anything, I think 6 is the magic number. You can decide which 6 (5 conf champs + 1 at large OR just go 6 at large). There's pros and cons to each.

I get people want more games but it's diluting after a while. Even an 8 team playoff, watching the 1 & 2 seeds massacre the 7 & 8 seeds isn't entertaining. 9-3 non-conf champion teams shouldn't be competing for national titles anyway.

Also, 12 teams means it's going to end up being 4-5 SEC teams in it every year which is just boring.

I'm happy with 4 but if we're going to change anything, I think 6 is the magic number. You can decide which 6 (5 conf champs + 1 at large OR just go 6 at large). There's pros and cons to each.

I get people want more games but it's diluting after a while. Even an 8 team playoff, watching the 1 & 2 seeds massacre the 7 & 8 seeds isn't entertaining. 9-3 non-conf champion teams shouldn't be competing for national titles anyway.

Also, 12 teams means it's going to end up being 4-5 SEC teams in it every year which is just boring.
Why have NFL playoffs?
FCS playoffs?
NHL playoffs?
March Madness?
Do they still play baseball?
NBA playoffs
Why have NCAA Baseball Regionals because no team with a record of like 31-28 can win their regional

The list is literally endless with the exception of NCAA Division I Foozeball. No correct answers just opinions and I understand about the SEC but hate them or love them they are the strongest conference and more often than not are deserving of that second spot.

You can always tweak the regular season to reduce games like OOC games since with a playoff you will play OOC, stop playing those "gimme" weeks, etc.

Why have NFL playoffs?
FCS playoffs?
NHL playoffs?
March Madness?
Do they still play baseball?
NBA playoffs
Why have NCAA Baseball Regionals because no team with a record of like 31-28 can win their regional

The list is literally endless with the exception of NCAA Division I Foozeball. No correct answers just opinions and I understand about the SEC but hate them or love them they are the strongest conference and more often than not are deserving of that second spot.

You can always tweak the regular season to reduce games like OOC games since with a playoff you will play OOC, stop playing those "gimme" weeks, etc.

MLB, NHL, NBA, and NBA are different since they play a ton of games and have series style playoffs.

NFL there is a salary cap which allows parity. There isn't a huge gap between most teams in a given year let alone playoff teams so a wildcard team can be just as competitive as a division winner. You see teams go from last to first or last to competitive year over year. I'm also not a fan of expanded NFL playoffs.

It is all about opinion and preference but a 12-0 Alabama running wild over a 8 seed 10-2 Iowa State squad doesn't get me excited. It's just another game and would feel like a formality over time. I think what makes the college football playoff so exciting is that it's only elite/great teams that are in it. I just don't feel the need to include a 10-2 Penn State or a 9-3 Auburn team. Maybe I'll feel different after the first major upset but we'll see what the future holds.

Advertisement
Back