12-Team College Football Playoff?

MLB, NHL, NBA, and NBA are different since they play a ton of games and have series style playoffs.

NFL there is a salary cap which allows parity. There isn't a huge gap between most teams in a given year let alone playoff teams so a wildcard team can be just as competitive as a division winner. You see teams go from last to first or last to competitive year over year. I'm also not a fan of expanded NFL playoffs.

It is all about opinion and preference but a 12-0 Alabama running wild over a 8 seed 10-2 Iowa State squad doesn't get me excited. It's just another game and would feel like a formality over time. I think what makes the college football playoff so exciting is that it's only elite/great teams that are in it. I just don't feel the need to include a 10-2 Penn State or a 9-3 Auburn team. Maybe I'll feel different after the first major upset but we'll see what the future holds.
Maybe blowouts but there is also money in it for the programs perhaps.

Also, what about a 10-2 Penn State who lost by a total of 7 points? 9-3 Auburn who played without their starting QB for 2 of those losses?

Division I football stands alone so either they are the smartest or there are other interests and please don't say player welfare... It is the NCAA

Advertisement
MLB, NHL, NBA, and NBA are different since they play a ton of games and have series style playoffs.

NFL there is a salary cap which allows parity. There isn't a huge gap between most teams in a given year let alone playoff teams so a wildcard team can be just as competitive as a division winner. You see teams go from last to first or last to competitive year over year. I'm also not a fan of expanded NFL playoffs.

It is all about opinion and preference but a 12-0 Alabama running wild over a 8 seed 10-2 Iowa State squad doesn't get me excited. It's just another game and would feel like a formality over time. I think what makes the college football playoff so exciting is that it's only elite/great teams that are in it. I just don't feel the need to include a 10-2 Penn State or a 9-3 Auburn team. Maybe I'll feel different after the first major upset but we'll see what the future holds.
Also, CFB is better than those sports and has a much better regular season.

this is nothing but a money grab (obviously). The so-called "more access to the playoff" argument is BS. It lets more teams in but will have no impact over who wins the NC. IT will still be the same 3-4 every year. The current 1-4 matchup is an annual blowout, so I dont know why people want to see more games destined to be blowouts. all it does is increase the risk of injuries to key players that will put a real NC game at risk

It’s a disgrace.

They are trying to take away everything that makes CFB great. Now the sport will be the NFL with worse players.

Four is, and has always been, the right number.

That may be true, or it may not end up being true. I really don’t know. My question to you is this: what do you think will actually happen?

Advertisement
Why have NFL playoffs?
FCS playoffs?
NHL playoffs?
March Madness?
Do they still play baseball?
NBA playoffs
Why have NCAA Baseball Regionals because no team with a record of like 31-28 can win their regional

The list is literally endless with the exception of NCAA Division I Foozeball. No correct answers just opinions and I understand about the SEC but hate them or love them they are the strongest conference and more often than not are deserving of that second spot.

You can always tweak the regular season to reduce games like OOC games since with a playoff you will play OOC, stop playing those "gimme" weeks, etc.
For a lot of people, that idea of not having the same playoff format as everyone else is what makes college football the greatest sport on earth.

That may be true, it may not end up being true. I really don’t know. My question to you is this: what do you think will actually happen?
expansion will happen because:

1. more money for everyone
2. pac 12 wants guaranteed entry for their champion
3. SEC wants more at large bids
4. G5 teams want access
5. CFP wants to avoid bad optics of the same 3-4 teams making it every year
6. ND wants to increase likelihood of getting in each year

The current system sucks.

For argument sake, two ACC teams:

NC State and Clemson play the first game of the season at NC State. NC State has a huge home field advantage with their fans. NC State wins the game in overtime because TL has to go under concussion protocall. Both teams win out the rest of the year, but Clemson scores 50 points a game and shuts everyone out and NC State wins every game by 1 score or less. NC State gets the invite to the ACC Championship game. They win it. They make the 4 team playoff and Clemson doesn't because Alabama, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are also undefeated.

Even though Clemson may be the best team in the country (Miami '00), they can't get their shot to prove it because of a first game of the season loss on the road with their quarterback under concussion protocall.

As a fan, what a waste of my time following a system like this.

There is no reward for a team that gets better and better every week, makes adjustments, and finishes strong.

expansion will happen because:

1. more money for everyone
2. pac 12 wants guaranteed entry for their champion
3. SEC wants more at large bids
4. G5 teams want access
5. CFP wants to avoid bad optics of the same 3-4 teams making it every year
6. ND wants to increase likelihood of getting in each year

Specifics. What is the greatest likelihood? Six teams? Eight teams? What’s the most likely scenario, logistically speaking?

Advertisement

NC State and Clemson play the first game of the season at NC State. NC State has a huge home field advantage with their fans. NC State wins the game in overtime because TL has to go under concussion protocall. Both teams win out the rest of the year, but Clemson scores 50 points a game and shuts everyone out and NC State wins every game by 1 score or less. NC State gets the invite to the ACC Championship game. They win it. They make the 4 team playoff and Clemson doesn't because Alabama, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are also undefeated.

Even though Clemson may be the best team in the country (Miami '00), they can't get their shot to prove it because of a first game of the season loss on the road with their quarterback under concussion protocall.

There is no reward for a team that gets better and better every week, makes adjustments, and finishes strong.
Of course, you probably have several examples of this actually happening.

Do you really not follow college football because of that unrealistic hypothetical scenario?

You guys do know that the Florida HIGH SCHOOL State Champion has to play 15 games, right?

1 kickoff classic. 10 regular season. 4 playoff.

The Super Bowl winner will play 19 or 20 games depending if they got a bye or not.

Why is it looked at as such an insurmountable task for a college team to play 16 or 17 games? The champion plays 15 already if they are not in the Big 12.

These guys could easily handle a one or two more games from an expanded playoff bracket. There is ZERO reason to cut regular season games to do this.
Because all of the talking heads want you to believe they care about the kids and rant on it all year how it does harm to the players all the while their companies are behind closed doors making million/billion dollar deals to play those extra games…

Advertisement

IF that ever happens, you can stop following the system then. there is zero doubt that the best team in the country won the NC under the CFP so there is no argument. and the fact that you want more meaningless games in order to get to the same top 2 or 4 teams only increases the likelihood of tainted games due to concussion protocols or other injuries in blowouts. and the CFP is able to take injuries into account when ranking the teams, so this is already addressed.

Last edited:
Specifics. What is the greatest likelihood? Six teams? Eight teams? What’s the most likely scenario, logistically speaking?
I think they move it to 8 to incrementally increase the number in the playoff. I dont see a huge jump to 12 teams. 8 is enough to appease the PAc 12, ND and G5 schools. I also dont think a scenario where byes are used is realistic.

Advertisement
lol @ anyone who thinks this makes things more fair or entertaining.

if you want to fix the problem create competitive measures to curb the mega rich programs.
This just makes reg season more pointless with the same four teams in the final four anyway.

While I agree, I would still rather watch a ****ty college football game than pretty much anything that is out there now on TV labeled as entertainment.
I agree but if the bowl season wasn’t around the holidays when all that’s on is idiots dressed up like Santa singing Little Drummer Boy or the story of a kid getting a BB gun for Christmas showing for the 745368953657 time I doubt there’d be as many bowls.They put on these ****** bowls cause there’s nothing else on and the weather is ****** around half the country that time of year.

Oh 😜 and the Cornhole League hadn’t formed yet.

lol @ anyone who thinks this makes things more fair or entertaining.

if you want to fix the problem create competitive measures to curb the mega rich programs.
This just makes reg season more pointless with the same four teams in the final four anyway.
More rules to level the playing field? Why should any school be punished for success or rewarded for failure?

I would argue that expanding the playoffs would help to level the playing field since recruits won't field pressured to attend 1 of the 4-6 schools always in the playoffs. Live in Orlando? UCF has a shot. How dumb is it that if you lose a game in the regular season and aren't in the conference championship game chances are you miss out. Yeah, fun regular season.

Advertisement
Back