12-Team College Football Playoff?

Expansion of the CFB Playoffs is already a done deal.

The NFL players couldn't stop expansion even though they have a union (albeit a very weak one)...So what chance do college athletes have against it?

They NCAA can't wait to get their greedy hands on the extra revenue $$$...nor can the universities. They're both unstoppable forces when $$ are involved.

The bowls will be placated by having events at their venues. Many of them were slowly dying anyway

The same teams will still usually make the finals with maybe one occasionally getting upset along the way....but overall it will be more exciting

So whether you want it or not.....it's coming

Last edited:
Advertisement
lol @ anyone who thinks this makes things more fair or entertaining.

if you want to fix the problem create competitive measures to curb the mega rich programs.
This just makes reg season more pointless with the same four teams in the final four anyway.

Or you know just slightly enforce some of the existing rules. Just a modicum of the rules against impermissible benefits, like maybe set a salary cap.

But what we have now, is an open secret that everyone knows, that is the top three or four schools are paying NFL type payrolls almost, and everybody else is left holding their ****s.

Does anyone actually think that people want to go live in Tuscaloosa? I know they’re winning and that’s a big draw, but they wouldn’t have gotten near where they are without the bags. You don’t get three deep five stars without bags

it won’t be the same 3-4 teams in semifinals and playoffs. No team stays at the top forever. The nli should make things more competitive by curbing the bag dropping schools monopoly on recruiting. The portal also helps make teams more competitive.
make it a 8 team playoff and call it a day.

Advertisement
Should be 16 teams no byes and let’s roll
I would say start out with an 8 team and let them play it out on the field. 1 million % agree no buddy should get a bye. No team should get an advantage to heal up there players while the other teams go beat the ****t out of each other.

I'll die on the hill that the 8 team Playoff is the best option. 5 conference winners + 3 at-larges. NO byes that would be automatically slotted to at least 2 SEC teams per year.
Oregon would have made the CFP last year ranked #25 if that was the criteria. It wont ever be fair or equal, only the perception of fairness will change. I would guess they make the highest ranked G5 school automatic too, so that could potentially take away 2+ spots from better teams who didnt win a conference championship. How is that a better option? Cincy and Oregon deserved to go last year? I would say no. adding more will jsut mean more teams will complain when they dont make it because they actually thought their 2-3 loss record is worthy

adding more will jsut mean more teams will complain when they dont make it because they actually thought their 2-3 loss record is worthy

Exactly. Only maybe the #5 team has a complaint under the current system. When you start letting in the #25 team all of a sudden everyone feels like they should have been in.

Advertisement
Just my opinion but 8 teams is where its at but id be down for a 16 team.

100% do not want to see any team get a bye week. I just dont think its fair.

My take on the argument that it ruins the regular season to me is BS. ****tt if you loose 1 game now your regular season is basically over. I like what another poster wrote. He spoke about what if a team lost there qb first game of season and they lose 2 games. Then the qb comes back and they run the table and the team clearly looks like one of the top teams in the country by years end. Wouldn't we want to see that team play in a playoff type setting. Dont we want to actually have the best team in the country win the trophy.

That same poster brought up the 00 Miami team that got screwed out of a title. Everyone knows we would have smoked Oklahoma. They would not of wanted any part of that Miami team. To me these are great arguments as to why we need an 8 or 16 team playoff. Last thought that I know has been beaten to death but I would have loved to see boise state in a playoff the one year they were really good. Would have lived to see UCF get a shot the one year they were dam good. To me these are the types of stories we want to watch unfold on a football field. JMO fellas.

Just my opinion but 8 teams is where its at but id be down for a 16 team.

100% do not want to see any team get a bye week. I just dont think its fair.

My take on the argument that it ruins the regular season to me is BS. ****tt if you loose 1 game now your regular season is basically over. I like what another poster wrote. He spoke about what if a team lost there qb first game of season and they lose 2 games. Then the qb comes back and they run the table and the team clearly looks like one of the top teams in the country by years end. Wouldn't we want to see that team play in a playoff type setting. Dont we want to actually have the best team in the country win the trophy.

That same poster brought up the 00 Miami team that got screwed out of a title. Everyone knows we would have smoked Oklahoma. They would not of wanted any part of that Miami team. To me these are great arguments as to why we need an 8 or 16 team playoff. Last thought that I know has been beaten to death but I would have loved to see boise state in a playoff the one year they were really good. Would have lived to see UCF get a shot the one year they were dam good. To me these are the types of stories we want to watch unfold on a football field. JMO fellas.
Miami would have been in the playoffs in 2000 under the current system. But I can't find a season in college football history where everyone said that the #13 team got hosed.

Miami would have been in the playoffs in 2000 under the current system. But I can't find a season in college football history where everyone said that the #13 team got hosed.
I agree 100% . #13 team has no argument for which anyone would listen to so yes you are correct.

And you know dam well at some point there's going to be some big time upsets and man oh man that would be fun to talk about at the bar while having an ice cold beer.

Advertisement
And you know dam well at some point there's going to be some big time upsets and man oh man that would be fun to talk about at the bar while having an ice cold beer.
I think that's already happening the way it is now. That huge upset in the regular season has consequences.

Maybe more teams in the playoff dilute the every kid wanting to go to Alabama and spreads the talent out a little bit. NCAA is leaving a ton of money on the table IMHO by not having a December Madness for D1 football.

Advertisement
I mentioned this in another thread but a major down side to all of this expansion crap is that a prestigious program with a down year would probably not be punished.

Lets say a team like Bama or O$U with a string of injuries could lose 3 games and still get in because the committee (or whatever selecition process they concoct) will say they are still one of the best 12 teams in the Nation.

Meanwhile other teams could go undefeated or have one loss and they will be like nope, not good enough.

It is way too arbitrary to me.

This is that fake equivalency garbage.

The argument to expand is NOT that any particular team "got hosed". It is simply that teams should PLAY for the championship, not some ****ty bowl game system.

Do we REALISTICALLY argue that we need 68 teams in the NCAA Tournament, otherwise someone gets "hosed"? **** no. If fact, the WORST team to ever win a national championship was #8 seed Villanova, thus one can logically argue that only 32 teams are "needed" for the NCAA Tournament to avoid "anyone getting hosed".

But, when people do NOT make the fake argument of "who gets hosed", and instead focus on giving conference champs a chance to play for the title (whether are not they are in the Top 4 or Top 8 or Top 16 or Top 32), then you have a fair and equitable system.

I'd prefer to see no "first round byes". Tournament of 8 or Tournament of 16. I'm fine with either one.

And enough of Dmoney's "best regular season in sports". It hasn't been that way in a long time. Almost every Power 5 team avoids playing other Power 5 teams in the early season. Two-thirds of the season is just same-old, same-old conference games. And the nonsense about "every game counts" went out the window when LSU won a title with 2 losses. And don't even get me started on the horror of all these "pre-arranged contractual obligation games" that have replaced the Bowl system. Yeah, #3 AAC vs. #5 SEC is soooooo ******* "worth" hanging onto the craptastic system of a "Final Four and everyone else gets bowl games".

The magical myth of the college football regular season was destroyed in the last round of expansion. Now it is time to let teams play for the title, preferably in a Sweet Sixteen.

But, yeah, some guys are still gonna try to fvck that corpse of "every game counts". It's dead. Move on.

This is that fake equivalency garbage.

The argument to expand is NOT that any particular team "got hosed". It is simply that teams should PLAY for the championship, not some ****ty bowl game system.

Do we REALISTICALLY argue that we need 68 teams in the NCAA Tournament, otherwise someone gets "hosed"? **** no. If fact, the WORST team to ever win a national championship was #8 seed Villanova, thus one can logically argue that only 32 teams are "needed" for the NCAA Tournament to avoid "anyone getting hosed".

But, when people do NOT make the fake argument of "who gets hosed", and instead focus on giving conference champs a chance to play for the title (whether are not they are in the Top 4 or Top 8 or Top 16 or Top 32), then you have a fair and equitable system.

I'd prefer to see no "first round byes". Tournament of 8 or Tournament of 16. I'm fine with either one.

And enough of Dmoney's "best regular season in sports". It hasn't been that way in a long time. Almost every Power 5 team avoids playing other Power 5 teams in the early season. Two-thirds of the season is just same-old, same-old conference games. And the nonsense about "every game counts" went out the window when LSU won a title with 2 losses. And don't even get me started on the horror of all these "pre-arranged contractual obligation games" that have replaced the Bowl system. Yeah, #3 AAC vs. #5 SEC is soooooo ******* "worth" hanging onto the craptastic system of a "Final Four and everyone else gets bowl games".

The magical myth of the college football regular season was destroyed in the last round of expansion. Now it is time to let teams play for the title, preferably in a Sweet Sixteen.

But, yeah, some guys are still gonna try to fvck that corpse of "every game counts". It's dead. Move on.
How is it fair and equitable to have conference champs be able to play for a NC jsut because they are conf champs? There are many teams better and more deserving than the PAc 12 champ almost every year. thats the opposite of fair to let an inferior team play for a NC jsut because they won a bad conference. and you're pointing out every exception in the history of college sports dating back 40 years. no system is going to cover every potential situation, not even your 8 or 16 team preference

Don't you think the 12 team playoff will have mandatory conference winners make the playoffs like all other NCAA tournaments? No doubt to me that you will have the champions of all power 5 conferences get an automatic bid. I'm assuming they will take 1 automatic group of 5 team. Leaving about 6 teams that will be "at large" so to speak.

Advertisement
Back