#1 thing I learned from last night's game!

How is there a huge talent gap when Clemson recruits at the same star level as BAMA?

Some of y'all really don't understand recruiting.

BAMA makes top 3 yearly because they over sign and Clemson doesn't

Clemson doesn't recruit at the same star level. If you actually read through the thread, you will see the clear evidence of this.

Advertisement
Coaching still trumps sheer talent! Sure, Clemson is a very talented team on paper, but if you compare their roster to Alabama's, there is still a HUGE gap. Clemson has just done a superior job of evaluating talent, coaching up that talent, and maximizing that talent via scheme and play calling. They've been doing it for almost a decade now, and guess what, it's increased their ability to recruit more sheer talent.

This gives me hope that we can still solve this problem despite the paper recruiting losses.
It also helps when most of their staff has been together for most of these years.

****, their DC is making over $2 million/year, has job security, is the prince of Clemson, Dabo is the king.

"Talent on paper" is worthless. We've had plenty of that -- Forston, Symonette, Jacory, Donaldson, Streeter, Cager and on and on. All 4 or 5 stars who played/play like 2 or 3 stars. Agree with you that Clemson has the better coaching staff. I'm sure Nick will be cutting a number of position coaches loose this week.

Clemson doesn't recruit at the same star level. If you actually read through the thread, you will see the clear evidence of this.

You do realize that from 2016 to 2018 Alabama's average is 92.74 and Clemson is 91.95? Thats your huge gap? Alabama's RANKING is hire because in that span they signed 25/29/22 compared to Clemson's 21/14/17.

BAMA has high turnover and just because they signed 1,000 4 star DEs doesn't mean **** because they aren't all playing.

Serious question? What did Clemson staff do last night that was exceptional? Bama had close to 500 yards total offense. Vennables was the guy who gave up 55 points to USC in the Orange Bowl. He's a very good coach, but Bama had 230 yards in the first quarter.

Advertisement
You "talent on paper" experts can keep talking about the big gap between the two teams.

TALENT ON THE FIELD says Lawrence was throwing missiles, Ross was making NFL catches, Etienne was getting to the edge and running away from Bama's D, and the Clemson front was collapsing the pocket.

Bama showed up and tried to do what they always do. It didn't work. And it wasn't because they were outschemed, etc. It didn't work because they ran up against a team that had serious depth and experience and basically equal talent across the board.

You "talent on paper" experts can keep talking about the big gap between the two teams.

TALENT ON THE FIELD says Lawrence was throwing missiles, Ross was making NFL catches, Etienne was getting to the edge and running away from Bama's D, and the Clemson front was collapsing the pocket.

Bama showed up and tried to do what they always do. It didn't work. And it wasn't because they were outschemed, etc. It didn't work because they ran up against a team that had serious depth and experience and basically equal talent across the board.

This is what I saw too. Bama had a couple of defensive breakdowns, but I didn't see Clemson do anything that was exceptional. Clemson's NFL players outplayed Bama's NFL players.

Oh, and I also saw one more thing.

Bama didn't get the usual preferential Bama treatment from the officials like they did in last year's title game.

I wonder which one of Saban's 47 analysts forgot to cut a deal with the refs. I would hate to be that guy today.

You do realize that from 2016 to 2018 Alabama's average is 92.74 and Clemson is 91.95? Thats your huge gap? Alabama's RANKING is hire because in that span they signed 25/29/22 compared to Clemson's 21/14/17.

BAMA has high turnover and just because they signed 1,000 4 star DEs doesn't mean **** because they aren't all playing.

Why are you just limiting your comparison to 2016 to 2018? I suspect it's because that makes your numbers look better. How about you look over the 2014 to 2018 period, since that is actually more reflective of who would actually be on either team.

Advertisement

You've missed the point of the thread, which is that we don't have to sign all the 4 stars and 5 stars to build what Clemson has built.

You've missed the point of the thread, which is that we don't have to sign all the 4 stars and 5 stars to build what Clemson has built.

Right. You only need to sign ALMOST as many as Bama does in order to build what Clemson has built.

huge Gap?

Trevor lawrence
Travis Etienne
Justyn Ross
Tee Higgins
Mitch Hyatt
Christian Wilkens
Dexter Lawrence
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Xavier Thomas
Trayvon Mullen
AJ Terrell

You’re talking about guys that are going top 2-3 rounds and many 1st round picks.

I don’t think their is a huge gap at all.
And the crazy thing is dexter Williams couldnt play. Dang Clemson is good. scary good!

Right. You only need to sign ALMOST as many as Bama does in order to build what Clemson has built.

Go look at Clemson's classes over the last 8 years. They didn't just start recruiting at a higher level over night. It took years of success on the field, which was the result of evaluation, coaching, scheming and play calling.

Advertisement
Clemson has the most elite QB I’ve ever seen.

Tua is pretty good, but the difference between Tua and Lawrence is huge.

Lawrence is the next Joe Montana. I really believe that. This kid looks better than any QB I’ve ever seen at the college level.

He will go on to win Super Bowls.
Agree, I saw Peyton Manning out there last night but only bigger stronger faster and way more athletic. The kid is scary good and only 18

Go look at Clemson's classes over the last 8 years. They didn't just start recruiting at a higher level over night. It took years of success on the field, which was the result of evaluation, coaching, scheming and play calling.

So...are we talking about what they've done over the past 8-10 years? Or are we talking about the "gap" between their talent level and Bama's talent level LAST NIGHT?

Better than Andrew luck? Luck was the prototype from heaven lol

This kid Lawrence is better, a lot better. Andrew luck couldn’t do these things his freshman year that kid just did last night

Advertisement
So...are we talking about what they've done over the past 8-10 years? Or are we talking about the "gap" between their talent level and Bama's talent level LAST NIGHT?

It's clear that you are incapable of picking up on the point of this thread.

Why are you just limiting your comparison to 2016 to 2018? I suspect it's because that makes your numbers look better. How about you look over the 2014 to 2018 period, since that is actually more reflective of who would actually be on either team.

Alabama has 9 players total left from 2014-2015 and 3 starters. But sure that's actually reflective of who is playing. Christ man just walk away.

Rb and maybe db(they didn’t play like it) May be the only position bama is more talented than Clemson at. Also receiver but Clemson got some pure ballers

Clemson’s DBs were worlds better than Bamas, IMO. Long, athletic, fast, excellent both in coverage and run support. The Clemson secondary was extremely impressive.

Alabama has 9 players total left from 2014-2015 and 3 starters. But sure that's actually reflective of who is playing. Christ man just walk away.

It's much more reflective of the roster than just looking at 2016 to 2018. I suspect that number is higher for Clemson.

Advertisement
Back