#1 thing I learned from last night's game!

Ya, there’s not a huge gap.

Might not even be a gap at all.

Again, I'm looking at sheer talent on paper (i.e., based on recruit rankings). There is a significant gap. Now, if we just look at talent on the field (i.e., based on actual performance), I think there is less of a gap. I'm attributing that difference between the two views to superior evaluation and coaching.

Advertisement
If you look up and down the starting line up, Bama has more talent overall and the difference is significant. Same applies to the 2 deep.
Do you mean more talent, or just more stars? It’s a fact that clemson has the better dl, and the nfl will validate it. It’s a fact that clemson had the better qb. What is your point? Actual talent matters.

Money bags bro, that's what is missing. I lived in Greenville SC and its amazing how Clemsucks went from blah to hmmm after they implemented money bags.

Clemson having the second coming of Peyton Manning helped a bunch... That kid Lawrence is really freaking good.
During the all star weekend, Jarren Williams looked as good as Lawrence. Then he got next to no playing time in the game. Williams is darn good, but our staff was so inept they didn't know a good QB when they saw one. And yes, Lawrence is really freaking good.

Advertisement
We saw a clash of Cutures last night. And let’s all do ourselves a favor and not overreact. The final score said blow out but Bama moved the ball at will and they were about about 5 bad offensive plays away from winning that game despite the worst defense they’ve had in about 7-8 years.

And the Canes were about 5 bad offensive plays away from winning the Coastal.

If you look up and down the starting line up, Bama has more talent overall and the difference is significant. Same applies to the 2 deep.

Based on what? Recruiting rankings? So Bama has some guys that were ranked a half-star better than Clemson's guys? So what.

There was no gap last night. Look at what Lawrence did. Look at how Etienne was running away from Bama defenders. Look at how Clemson's defensive front pushed Bama backward on that goal-line stand and sent Tua to the sideline. No gap.

The OP is comparing "on paper" talent and he is right. Bama has had the #1 recruiting class 3 of the last 5 years (#2 and #7 the other 2 years) and while Clemson has been very good their best class is #4 and had one class ranked #22. So yes Bama is better on paper.

Bama last 5 Classes---#7, #1, #1, #2, #1
Clemson last 5 classes #8, #22, #6, #4, #13
Porsters always jump the gun and never carefully evaluate posts before responding. People who always believe our only problem is not stacking enough 5* recruits.

huge Gap?

Trevor lawrence
Travis Etienne
Justyn Ross
Tee Higgins
Mitch Hyatt
Christian Wilkens
Dexter Lawrence
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Xavier Thomas
Trayvon Mullen
AJ Terrell

You’re talking about guys that are going top 2-3 rounds and many 1st round picks.

I don’t think their is a huge gap at all.

On paper, yes. Alabama has a lot more 4 and 5 stars on its roster. Clemson just uses the ones they have better. Clemson also has an elite qb. Bama has a qb who is a notch below that. Miami isn't getting anywhere until we have a top tier qb.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-F...edium=ExternalEmbed&utm_campaign=TeamRankings

Advertisement
Its called talent development. That's why i supported Butch Davis. Yall can complain about is age but Snyder was 199 when he had to go back and rescue K State. These guys are teachers, they get the players to realize their potential.....while in college. They teach them fundamentals, how to tackle consistently, pursuit angles, breaking down in space, catching the ball,defending passes, shedding blocks, blocking properly, hand placement, throwing the ball with the right mechanics. These are what i wanna see from our team again. If we are not good at these things wont be able to execute the most basic of schemes much less the complex ones.

I'm hoping Diaz can build a staff that does that. If you develop talent, players will play better, no matter their rank, we will win more games and recruits will come knowing they will get developed. That's the sequence i want. Not sitting waiting on recruiting classes but using the players we have to all their potential. Recruits and wins follow that.

The prime indicator of us not developing talent is at the QB position, and say what u want but James Coley was decent. Got Kaaya ready to play as a True Fr and he regressed as a Jr under Qb guru Mark Richt and son.

Do you mean more talent, or just more stars? It’s a fact that clemson has the better dl, and the nfl will validate it. It’s a fact that clemson had the better qb. What is your point? Actual talent matters.

I'm talking talent on paper vs. actual talent. Bama clearly has more talent on paper, but Clemson has done a better job of evaluating and coaching, which has resulted in probably better actual talent or at least comparable.

Check the recruiting rankings bro.
LMAO because that's the "end all, be all" when it comes to talent?
Pretty sure it was already said that good recruiters can evaluate great talent as well.

Clemson is loaded with talent just as much, if not more, than Alabama. Bama has lost a lot of good coaches, and this is the biggest problem that they have.

LMAO because that's the "end all, be all" when it comes to talent?
Pretty sure it was already said that good recruiters can evaluate great talent as well.

Clemson is loaded with talent just as much, if not more, than Alabama. Bama has lost a lot of good coaches, and this is the biggest problem that they have.

You have completely missed the point of the post.

Advertisement
That kid Ross that torched Bama's secondary last night was plucked right out of Saban's backyard. How's that for a talent gap?

Some of you guys are acting like this was Boise State sucker-punching Oklahoma with a few well-timed trick plays to pull off the impossible.

No.

This was two heavyweights going at it toe to toe in the middle of the ring.

The OP is comparing "on paper" talent and he is right. Bama has had the #1 recruiting class 3 of the last 5 years (#2 and #7 the other 2 years) and while Clemson has been very good their best class is #4 and had one class ranked #22. So yes Bama is better on paper.

Bama last 5 Classes---#7, #1, #1, #2, #1
Clemson last 5 classes #8, #22, #6, #4, #13

This.

Advertisement
Here's the point

Alabama does NOT have more talent on their roster than Clemson.

Nope, you still missed the point.

The point is that Alabama has recruited more talent on paper than Clemson. A lot more. In fact the gap between Bama's recruiting and Clemson's recruiting is actually bigger than the gap between Clemson's recruiting and Miami's recruiting. HOWEVER, I believe Clemson has done a better job of evaluating talent and coaching it up, which has resulted in Clemson's actual team being better.

Coaching still trumps sheer talent! Sure, Clemson is a very talented team on paper, but if you compare their roster to Alabama's, there is still a HUGE gap. Clemson has just done a superior job of evaluating talent, coaching up that talent, and maximizing that talent via scheme and play calling. They've been doing it for almost a decade now, and guess what, it's increased their ability to recruit more sheer talent.

This gives me hope that we can still solve this problem despite the paper recruiting losses.
You're wrong in that Clemson has equal or better talent -- and their best DL (Lawrence) was out. 44-16. That wasn't all coaching. With Lawrence on the DL, Clemson wins 8 of 10 times.

Coaching still trumps sheer talent! Sure, Clemson is a very talented team on paper, but if you compare their roster to Alabama's, there is still a HUGE gap. Clemson has just done a superior job of evaluating talent, coaching up that talent, and maximizing that talent via scheme and play calling. They've been doing it for almost a decade now, and guess what, it's increased their ability to recruit more sheer talent.

This gives me hope that we can still solve this problem despite the paper recruiting losses.

How is there a huge talent gap when Clemson recruits at the same star level as BAMA?

Some of y'all really don't understand recruiting.

BAMA makes top 3 yearly because they over sign and Clemson doesn't

You're wrong in that Clemson has equal or better talent -- and their best DL (Lawrence) was out. 44-16. That wasn't all coaching. With Lawrence on the DL, Clemson wins 8 of 10 times.

I think 44-16 was the result of better talent evaluation, better coaching, and better scheme and play calling. Bama has more talent on paper, and that is an undeniable fact.

Advertisement
Back