#1 thing I learned from last night's game!

Coaching still trumps sheer talent! Sure, Clemson is a very talented team on paper, but if you compare their roster to Alabama's, there is still a HUGE gap. Clemson has just done a superior job of evaluating talent, coaching up that talent, and maximizing that talent via scheme and play calling. They've been doing it for almost a decade now, and guess what, it's increased their ability to recruit more sheer talent.

This gives me hope that we can still solve this problem despite the paper recruiting losses.
Where is the gap in talent?

Advertisement
Bama
Average recruit ranking
2017: .9376
2018: .9194
Clemson
2017: .9210
2018: .9345
Might want to actually have facts instead of just throwing out some baseless claims, Bud
There are only two teams competing with bama and that's urban and kirby. On paper Alabama has more talent than Clemson. To me Clemson looked way more prepared for bama than bama was for Clemson.
cfb talent.PNG

There may not be much ,if any of a talent gap on the field but on paper Bama should be the better team.
Bama has also been better in avr star ranking the last 5 years .

View attachment 75253

Bama was and is the better team.

The difference was that Clemson has a generational talent at QB.

Tua is a good QB in his own right.... he'll be drafted and get his shot at the NFL. But Trevor Lawrence is going to win Super Bowls. The gap between those two is huge.

one thing that also was mentioned was that clemson has only lost 3 coaches over the last 5 years compared to saban losing 20 in the same time period. Stability within the coaching staff helps with the development and the overall coaching/ prepping of the games

The are calling Trevor the best QB prospect "ever" how is that a huge gap? You give me Bill Belechic to coach the canes and we aren't beating either team.

Advertisement
Several people whose opinions I trust have said Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Manning, and there are also some who (before last night) have said he's the best QB prospect they've ever scouted.

If he could come out this year, he'd be the #1 pick in the draft in April and teams would be trading all over themselves to try to get him. He's as good as it gets at that position. And people on here tried to argue with me that Kelly Bryant stinks cause this kid took his job hahahahah.
I've heard the same about him and Payton, they also use Andrew Luck as a measuring stick. I don't remember Payton or Andrew winning a National Championship as Freshman. This guy will rewrite the books in college and with the right team the books in the NFL. He is far beyond his years in the art of Quarterbacking and leading a team. What a Gem. If I was the Dolphins, I would lose every game to have a chance to draft him.

Coaching still trumps sheer talent! Sure, Clemson is a very talented team on paper, but if you compare their roster to Alabama's, there is still a HUGE gap. Clemson has just done a superior job of evaluating talent, coaching up that talent, and maximizing that talent via scheme and play calling. They've been doing it for almost a decade now, and guess what, it's increased their ability to recruit more sheer talent.

This gives me hope that we can still solve this problem despite the paper recruiting losses.
This all day long!!!! I am sick and tired of conceding the idea that we will ALWAYS be out couched and we just hope to out-athlete most squads and then pray some of our players make some spectacular plays against better teams. This is why I am excited about Manny. I truly believe, even if it takes a while to build, we will start out preparing and out-scheming other teams.

This is not really accurate. Scheme amd coaching definitely matter. But Clemson had the better DL and the better QB, which are the two most important units, and an edge on skill position guys or at worst comparable. They were also probably worth an edge at DB given the inexperiene of guys Alabama was playing. Clemson’s OL was good as well. Overall talent level is not the right way to look at things, because the game is not played 85 vs. 85.

Bama got beat by a better team.

Advertisement
Coaching and experience for sure is what led to last night's dominance. Most of that defense last night had 59 games under its belt, there hasn't been a play or formation they haven't seen.

It takes an amazing Dline to win and a great qb. Those are a must!. Coaching cant get you around it. And they were even missing 1 of their beast. Recruiting those bodies and developing them is the key to all success.

We saw a clash of Cutures last night. And let’s all do ourselves a favor and not overreact. The final score said blow out but Bama moved the ball at will and they were about about 5 bad offensive plays away from winning that game despite the worst defense they’ve had in about 7-8 years.

Moving on. Bama has a pro-culture. And a very successful pro culture. It’s not about what can I do for Bama it’s all about What can Bama do for me? With all the attention and spot light they receive. There is super high roster and coaching turnover for a college program. It was telling that even though Nick Saban routinely over signs and has the top rated class with hand picked blue chippers, in the biggest game of the year he had to resort to playing freshmen in the secondary. What happened to those amazing players they signed 2-3 years ago that should be jrs and rs-sophs and Sophs? Everyone is simply looking for Bama to be a stepping stone. For coaches they look at it as a 1-2 year gig to get to a HC spot. For players if they make it 3 years they are out.

As was evident last night and with us. Great coaches don’t grow on trees. I wouldn’t be surprised if those coordinators weren’t retained which only leads to less continuity.

When I watch Bama I see a group of hired guns. Who bond over war experiences and share a common goal but ultimately are in for themselves.

Clemson conversely has a family/brotherhood culture. It’s not for everyone. It can be cheesy and cult-like to outsiders I’m sure. But kids are going there because they want to be apart of something bigger than football. That is why Jr.s left millions of dollars on pause to comeback and “finish” something they started 4 years ago when no one would have faulted them or doubted their commitment and contribution to the program had they left early.

The coaching staff has unheard of job security for this era in college football. Which only helps to reinforce the culture and continuity they have.

And that is the difference when a Bama kid stays after Jr year it’s becuase he wanted to improve his draft stock. When a Clemson stays after his Jr year it’s becuase he wanted to help the team.

SPOT ON!

Advertisement
huge Gap?

Trevor lawrence
Travis Etienne
Justyn Ross
Tee Higgins
Mitch Hyatt
Christian Wilkens
Dexter Lawrence
Clelin Ferrell
Austin Bryant
Xavier Thomas
Trayvon Mullen
AJ Terrell

You’re talking about guys that are going top 2-3 rounds and many 1st round picks.

I don’t think their is a huge gap at all.
I agree there isn't a huge gap. Up until 3-4 yrs ago I would have agreed but now Clemson is pulling in top talent as well.

The are calling Trevor the best QB prospect "ever" how is that a huge gap? You give me Bill Belechic to coach the canes and we aren't beating either team.

Lol...Bill Belichick? Yeah, he'd coach circles around Sabag and Dabag. Or should I give you a list of the players that over perform for the Patriots then disappear when they leave.

Advertisement
Bama
Average recruit ranking
2017: .9376
2018: .9194
Clemson
2017: .9210
2018: .9345
Might want to actually have facts instead of just throwing out some baseless claims, Bud

LOL...so you went and looked at 2 years to support your point? LMAO! You're an idot, bud.

Going back to the 2014 class, which would be reflective of the entire roster, Clemson only had a higher average recruit ranking than Bama in 1 of those years, which was 2018 (the class that would have been least impactful on the game last night in general). In every other year, Bama's ranking was higher, and the gap was much larger in 2016, 2015 and 2014 than it was in 2017.

Facts.

This is not really accurate. Scheme amd coaching definitely matter. But Clemson had the better DL and the better QB, which are the two most important units, and an edge on skill position guys or at worst comparable. They were also probably worth an edge at DB given the inexperiene of guys Alabama was playing. Clemson’s OL was good as well. Overall talent level is not the right way to look at things, because the game is not played 85 vs. 85.

If you look up and down the starting line up, Bama has more talent overall and the difference is significant. Same applies to the 2 deep.

Advertisement
Back