1 mile from camping stadium

Google Earth has it at .88 mile from the Miami side of CWS to the hotel walking straight down W Central. I noticed there's a huge *** police station about half way there or so. Pine st. past Magnolia is brick? looks like a nice little area?

I'm not trying to mess with you, but Google Maps has the walk from the Embassy Suites (south of Lake Eola) to the Citrus Bowl at 1.8 miles. Are you sure it's not taking you to the Orlando City Soccer Stadium, which is also just off Central? From your comment on the "huge *** police station about half way there", it sounds like the map is outdated and/or taking you to the OCSC stadium, not the Citrus Bowl (Camping World Stadium).

The old police station was on the corner across from the basketball arena, but the new police station is on 441 near the (American) football stadium.

The walk along Central (or Church) will be fairly pleasant and there will be plenty of cops. For soccer and basketball (closer to I-4) they usually shut down a few city blocks so that people can walk around without impeding traffic. They will do the same by the Citrus Bowl once you cross west of 441.

Don't fall for the "Orlando is a war zone" nonsense. It's not perfect, but that area near the stadium is gentrifying now. As I mentioned on another thread, Orlando is the fastest-growing Top 30 city since 2010, and our housing supply is fairly scarce. The final frontier is to redevelop "the hood", and that's picking up steam. Florida A&M law school is already there (west of I-4 on Central) and UCF is going to build a campus downtown. Developers are buying up entire blocks of "the hood", and they are not going to be building bungalows.

Advertisement
I'm not trying to mess with you, but Google Maps has the walk from the Embassy Suites (south of Lake Eola) to the Citrus Bowl at 1.8 miles. Are you sure it's not taking you to the Orlando City Soccer Stadium, which is also just off Central? From your comment on the "huge *** police station about half way there", it sounds like the map is outdated and/or taking you to the OCSC stadium, not the Citrus Bowl (Camping World Stadium).

The old police station was on the corner across from the basketball arena, but the new police station is on 441 near the (American) football stadium.

The walk along Central (or Church) will be fairly pleasant and there will be plenty of cops. For soccer and basketball (closer to I-4) they usually shut down a few city blocks so that people can walk around without impeding traffic. They will do the same by the Citrus Bowl once you cross west of 441.

Don't fall for the "Orlando is a war zone" nonsense. It's not perfect, but that area near the stadium is gentrifying now. As I mentioned on another thread, Orlando is the fastest-growing Top 30 city since 2010, and our housing supply is fairly scarce. The final frontier is to redevelop "the hood", and that's picking up steam. Florida A&M law school is already there (west of I-4 on Central) and UCF is going to build a campus downtown. Developers are buying up entire blocks of "the hood", and they are not going to be building bungalows.

its close to 3 miles from the embassy to CWS. i used to live in DT right off lake eola.

Mills & 50....I live on Livingston near Broadway

that's like 3 miles from the stadium. (i lived in skyhouse for a few years so i know the area well). it isnt dangerous to be near the stadium, but i think some think hes in the houses off the hood. personally, im staying off i drive bc id rather be near **** and not be stuck at the 3 hotels in DT. also, whoever is staying off i drive or disney, take an uber to DT (barhop) and then walk over with the crowd. same when you leave.

Advertisement
No fortification as of yet....but just the other day, the Crips & Bloods were fighting at Lake Eola...next thing ya know, 5 Bloods jumped in a Swan boat, and headed across Eola like Washington crossing the Potomac....

Or the Delaware River.

Tomaytoe....Tomahtoe

For the record...

Traffic into the game will be easy. The stadium only holds about 65K, and it's nearly at the corner of I-4 and a toll expressway.

Getting out will be harder, as it will be dark and a lot of the official parking lots are fenced, not well-marked, and often have only 1 exit. Also, a lot of the surface streets around the stadium will be one-way after the game.

For the record...

Traffic into the game will be easy. The stadium only holds about 65K, and it's nearly at the corner of I-4 and a toll expressway.

Getting out will be harder, as it will be dark and a lot of the official parking lots are fenced, not well-marked, and often have only 1 exit. Also, a lot of the surface streets around the stadium will be one-way after the game.

nah. no rooms and NYC like traffic.

Advertisement
that's like 3 miles from the stadium. (i lived in skyhouse for a few years so i know the area well). it isnt dangerous to be near the stadium, but i think some think hes in the houses off the hood. personally, im staying off i drive bc id rather be near **** and not be stuck at the 3 hotels in DT. also, whoever is staying off i drive or disney, take an uber to DT (barhop) and then walk over with the crowd. same when you leave.

Please tell me where this DT is and some names of the bars as we will be 6 deep and we ain't driving from Thursday (when we get there) until Sunday (when we leave). Thank you in advance sir.

Please tell me where this DT is and some names of the bars as we will be 6 deep and we ain't driving from Thursday (when we get there) until Sunday (when we leave). Thank you in advance sir.

wall street -- little street lined with bars
church street -- same as above
aero, i bar, saddle up, the woods, finnhenrys, the lodge or w.e. its called, dapper duck, pourhouse, mathers, the one next to mathers (Cant think of the name but owned by the same people), and if you want night clubs theres vice or w.e., tier

mangos is on i Drive as well

For the record... Traffic into the game will be easy. The stadium only holds about 65K, and it's nearly at the corner of I-4 and a toll expressway. Getting out will be harder, as it will be dark and a lot of the official parking lots are fenced, not well-marked, and often have only 1 exit. Also, a lot of the surface streets around the stadium will be one-way after the game.
I feel like I've been to at least 37 Hurricane bowl games there. QP is telling it like it is.

Advertisement
The downtown area east of I4 is cool but it's a long *** walk to the Citrus Bowl from there.
Yes. There are some sketchy neighborhoods over there too and just like Miami they're often not that far from some nice neighborhoods.
Most of the Orlando area hotels are near the parks, not the stadium so an air b+b isn't a bad idea. The Universal/I drive area isn't too far but Disney is nowhere near the the city of Orlando. Staying at a Disney property to go to the stadium would be like booking a hotel in Boca to go to HRS

Church Street - Chillers/Big Belly Brewery/Latitudes is a great spot, the first couple of floors are just OK, but the rooftop bar is a great place to hang out. I also like the German bar right next to it (Schumann's). Orlando City Soccer Club has a bar on the other side of the RR tracks called Lion's Pride. You have a couple of burger spot/bars on either side of the tracks, Graffiti Junktion has an outdoor plaza, and the fans who enjoy LGBTQ entertainment can go to Hamburger Mary's.

If you then head north on Orange Avenue, there are a bunch of spots (including on the side streets) - Chela Tequila & Tacos and Corona Cigar Company are both in a one-block development at the corner of Church & Orange. Across Pine Street from Corona is a speakeasy called Hanson's Shoe Repair. On Orange, between Pine & Central, you have 3 gastropubs, Orlando PourHouse, The Underground Public House, and Avenue Gastrobar (there's a fourth one 2 blocks north called Finnhenry's). At Pine, you have Tanqueray's (in the basement) and on Central you have Ember.

Wall Street - another block north and you have a whole block to the east of Orange Avenue that is not open to traffic and is all bars. For a lot of big events, bowl games, etc., this becomes a big party area.

Farther north - the two blocks between Wall and Jefferson have a bunch of older bars, but some have been renovated recently, including Orange County Brewers.

There are a bunch of other spots within 2 blocks to the east or 2 blocks to the west of Orange Avenue. So about 10 blocks from north-to-south and about 4 blocks to either side of Orange Avenue, you should have plenty of options.

wall street -- little street lined with bars
church street -- same as above
aero, i bar, saddle up, the woods, finnhenrys, the lodge or w.e. its called, dapper duck, pourhouse, mathers, the one next to mathers (Cant think of the name but owned by the same people), and if you want night clubs theres vice or w.e., tier

mangos is on i Drive as well

Thanks brother. I’m staying just south of Mango’s

Advertisement
Church Street - Chillers/Big Belly Brewery/Latitudes is a great spot, the first couple of floors are just OK, but the rooftop bar is a great place to hang out. I also like the German bar right next to it (Schumann's). Orlando City Soccer Club has a bar on the other side of the RR tracks called Lion's Pride. You have a couple of burger spot/bars on either side of the tracks, Graffiti Junktion has an outdoor plaza, and the fans who enjoy LGBTQ entertainment can go to Hamburger Mary's.

If you then head north on Orange Avenue, there are a bunch of spots (including on the side streets) - Chela Tequila & Tacos and Corona Cigar Company are both in a one-block development at the corner of Church & Orange. Across Pine Street from Corona is a speakeasy called Hanson's Shoe Repair. On Orange, between Pine & Central, you have 3 gastropubs, Orlando PourHouse, The Underground Public House, and Avenue Gastrobar (there's a fourth one 2 blocks north called Finnhenry's). At Pine, you have Tanqueray's (in the basement) and on Central you have Ember.

Wall Street - another block north and you have a whole block to the east of Orange Avenue that is not open to traffic and is all bars. For a lot of big events, bowl games, etc., this becomes a big party area.

Farther north - the two blocks between Wall and Jefferson have a bunch of older bars, but some have been renovated recently, including Orange County Brewers.

There are a bunch of other spots within 2 blocks to the east or 2 blocks to the west of Orange Avenue. So about 10 blocks from north-to-south and about 4 blocks to either side of Orange Avenue, you should have plenty of options.

Thanks for all of the great info. I will be sure to check all of that. 👍🏻

Dammit if you're not right, I was using the ruler in google earth pro and just went to the soccer stadium. I've got no problem walking there, I just have no doubt I'll be stumbling on the way back. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch one of them pedi cabs.

Staying at the Aloft just east of I4. Looks like the walk goes straight through the hood. Probably not the best idea to go on foot with the wife after the game right?

2 years ago I got lost going back to my car at the game up in Tally, I ended up right in frenchtown. I told my car if there's drama run don't look back, make sure you get the strap though when you come back lol.

Advertisement
Back