“It’s Okay to Be Disappointed With Mario Cristobal” - Oregon Writer

I have a friend who worked with Herman at TX. He’s a weird, corny dude and the players thought the same at TX. I want a serious type, a guy who commands respect. It’s why I would pass on Kiffin and Herman types.
This. One gets the sense that our HC’s since Butch left have not commanded the respect of their players. That’s a foundational error that lies with the AD’s office.

Advertisement
honestly, 10 wins will get you a shot at the title once the CFP expands. You're living in the past if you think routine 10 win seasons are a failure.

Yup.

Funny how our fans try to play this, "Bro, we used to play the national champs or bust!" card!

How about Miami gets double digit wins again for a second time since 2003—2017 being the last time; Richt going 7-9 after the 10-0 start and Diaz now 16-14 since.

Program has been a 16-year disaster, but we're talking about 80's era expectations. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhtt.

The question I have is, are the Oregon fans actually wrong though?

When you consider how weak the PAC-12 is & has been over the last 5 years, are they really that off base to expect to have more success considering they really don’t have much competition in the conference?

USC which is the traditional powerhouse of the PAC has been down for years now & Washington hasn’t been a major contender since 2016, so aside from Herm building up AZ St, who else should Oregon have to worry about? Even when Utah was on a run 2 years ago that was more of a testament to Whittingham getting them to play above their means rather them being a regular contender in the Pac especially since most of their previous success was when they were in the Mountain West.

It’s not that unrealistic for them to expect annual playoff appearances when winning the PAC-12 shouldn’t be that difficult for them to do with there not really being much tough comp for them to get past every year. Bellotti had this team humming in the PAC-10 days, then Chip Kelly picked up where Bellotti tapered off & ascended them into new heights had them burning down college football for a 4 year run, even Mark Helfrich was able to take the team to the playoffs where they gave FSU a historic beating. Oregon really only fell off after Helfrich got burned out (much like Richt) & Taggart finessed them for $3million & then left for FSU after 1 year lol.

Mario has done a good job getting them back to being the best team in the PAC-12, but in that case it’s always skewered by the fact they’re more than likely gonna miss playoffs every year because they have a few slip up games against teams they have no business losing to.

Oregon fans can be very delusional & ungrateful considering just a few seasons ago things looked really grim for them, but again, you have to factor in that in the PAC-12 USC & Washington are completely stagnant right now, so Oregon is really just competing themselves in the conference, which means all they have to do is handle their business & beat the teams they’re supposed to beat & they would be a shoo-in in the CFP as an undefeated PAC-12 champion.

I think another main reason the Oregon fans aren’t necessarily thrilled with Cristobal despite the success is they know the reason they’re going to drop a few games every year is because Mario’s offense isn’t up to the standard that Oregon identity was built on. His offense is some B1G power run ball control style sh*t that they don’t particularly like, it’s effective when you have a good defense, but it’s a dangerous when you’re playing a team with a good DLine that can go punch for punch with you & you end up in a late game nail-biter. Oregon fans are used to fast pace high octane uptempo offense that goes 100mph from the coin flip, Mario has them running that Moorehead Penn St offense & just like Penn St they’re due for at least 2 upsets a year against teams less talented than them because their offense is too predicated on ball control & not enough high powered scoring. That style of ball works most of the time, it’s just when it doesn’t it’s really frustrating to watch, because it’s possession after possession of all you needing is for one **** big play to crack open the game & it never comes.

I think most of our fans due to their desperation & fatigue of losing are assuming that Mario would build Miami up the same way he did Oregon & would have us in the same situation, but I will continue to caution fans, it ain’t as easy as you might think. The ACC is down just like the Pac-12 is, but the quality of players in the conference is absolutely 2nd to the SEC, meaning regardless of the records our conference does have very good players in it & winning the conference won’t be as easy it is in the PAC-12 because Miami is a lot further away from having a complete team as people might think we are.

If you’re expecting Mario to come here & turn it around in one or two seasons you might in for a rude awakening, even with Mario being heralded as the savior of Miami you guys will be equally as disappointed as Duck fans when we’re still struggling to be a 8-4 team in year 3.

This is just my opinion, but what Miami really needs is a coach to transform our entire identity (particularly on offense) into a team that has a schematic advantage in combination with an emphasis on recruiting speed. I think most fans are just looking at that Mario has landed some 5-stars up in Oregon & are assuming he’s going to do that here, but I’m telling yall that ball control style pound the rock offense is not gonna work here, if we really wanna become contenders we have to fully commit to becoming an offensive minded team that beats you through the air, we’re not gonna win this conference in the future trying to play Power Spread ball with Clemson & UNC.
That's why I like the risk of Lebby. Cheaper than MC and could spend money on an actual staff. I think with Herman it could work. Really depends heavily on staff around them

Like the old saying goes “Be careful what you ask for”. We could do worse than Mario. But we can also do better. I’m of the opinion that we need a transformational HC. I’m not convinced Mario is all that. He’s built a decent program with lots of financial support and a recent history of success. The task of rebuilding the U will be much more daunting.

I’m also of the opinion that he might be tempted to return home to his alma mater, but ultimately will remain in his current position because of the resources available to him and the work he’s done to get Oregon to the point it is currently.

Obviously, a change in the AD will be necessary for him to even take a call. The lure of returning home will be the main factor in whether or not he comes to Miami.

Yeah.

After 2005, we fired something like 4 assistants because of consecutive three-loss seasons. The widespread belief was that Coker himself would get fired if we had a third straight three loss season. (As it turned out, Coker pretty much mooted the issue by losing six games and having the FIU brawl.)

By 2017, a three loss season was considered a reason for massive celebration.
Coker every assistant who revolted against him (and Randy). Werner, Solly, Kehoe, Mark and Hargreaves. That 2006 had no business finishing 7-6 with that defense.

Advertisement
I have a friend who worked with Herman at TX. He’s a weird, corny dude and the players thought the same at TX. I want a serious type, a guy who commands respect. It’s why I would pass on Kiffin and Herman types.
Personality is overrated IMO when it comes to our situation.

It matters when you’re a powerhouse program on the verge of making the playoffs, but for us in our circumstances we can’t afford to pass up on a smart offensive minded coach that could turn us into winner just due to a quirky personality trait.

If Lane wanted to come here we’d be crazy to not take him, Herman I could understand, but Lane or Hugh Freeze would both having us winning right away, they’d probably leave after 2-3 years max but they could very easily turn things around & have us competitive a lot quicker.

With Mario you’re betting on a slow build that might not work, especially with the Offense he’d be bringing with him, it’s definitely gonna take him 4+ years to truly turn Miami into a winning program IMO.

I say use Ole Miss as an example. Get innovative minds on offensive side of ball and get competitive and fun instantly year one. Attract players again with some exciting football. Spend the money on defensive staff and don't short change each position group. Build the analyst and strength and condition rooms heavily.

See the build as a 3 year project. Offensively we have more tools so start there. And recruit the trenches and defensive side of ball heavily year one. Year two should see some benefits and not as many dumb losses. Year three the players should be primed and ready to compete.

Advertisement
Let's just make something very clear. There are posters on this site that think Miami didn't lose a game from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. From the year we won the first national championship to the year that run ended these were our records:

1983: 11-1
1984: 8-5
1985: 10-2
1986: 11-1
1987: 12-0
1988: 11-1
1989: 11-1
1990: 10-2
1991: 12-0
1992: 11-1
1993: 9-3
1994: 10-2

That's averaging 1.5 losses per year during what people here think is the greatest time in the history of forever. Only 2 undefeated seasons in 12 years. Five seasons with multiple losses. That means our expectations should be 11-1 or 10-2 every year. Mocking people for thinking that's what the expectation should be is just idiotic. Even Saban has only been able to run off a couple undefeated seasons.
Wewere in title contention ever one of those one and two lose seasons. You have no clue what you are talking about.

We either won titles or were one game away from a title almost every year for a decade. 10-2 is now a milestone. Back then it was a major let down.

Advertisement
Chip would 'outcoach' Mario, but can't figure out Thibbs cannot be blocked one-on-one.

And to be fair, someone hack into Mario's headset and tell him to NEVER drop Thibbs in coverage...

Urban didn’t help either. The fact is that very few HCs have that type of success.

We were dominant back then and the closest thing to this current Bama run, but even then they have surpassed on everything but our high end NFL talent and the Bama bust narative is starting to fall apart.
The Bama bust narrative is still VERY strong aside from one guy, Henry.

Advertisement
When comparing resumes, who are they going to find that is better Mario that want to coach at Oregon?

Advertisement
Back