“It’s Okay to Be Disappointed With Mario Cristobal” - Oregon Writer

LOL

I’m old enough to remember when we expected to play for a title every year because we in fact do that.

We are all “10 wins is good now” bros.
Before the Memphis State game in 93, the ESPN 2 intro on TV had a segment with a brief soundbite from Darren Krein about the disappointment of losing to WVU, but emphasizing the need to "continue the streak" at home. He was totally miserable over that loss (as was I as a kid).

It feels like a different planet from where we are now.

Advertisement
I agree with LCE’s comments and the overall criticism of Mario’s game management.

But is Oregon’s roster as talented as many make it to be? Over the past four seasons they’ve had two first round picks, Herbert and Sewell, and the later sat out 2020. They also had a second round pick at Safety.

This season they have a great DE/LB who seems hurt a lot, Noah Sewell is a good LB, and an excellent CB (forget his name). He What else? The QB is a grad transfer from BC, and Vardell and Dye are a decent RB.

I do not think the Ducks have had and don’t have an elite roster. Where are all the NFL prospects? Someone enlighten me. I see Bama and UGA with 5 star recruits on the bench. Those are elite.

Last edited:
Til they smacked Texas and I think we all enjoyed that. God you made me date myself there. And that’s the problem, 30 f’ing years ago. Stop living in the past those players have had grandkids
If the past was Sweet, pay it a visit from time to time..

I agree with LCE’s comments and the overall criticism of Mario’s game management.

But is Oregon’s roster as talent many make it to be? Over the past four seasons they’ve had two first round picks, Herbert and Sewell, and the later sat out 2020. They also had a second round pick at Safety.

This season they have a great DE/LB who seems hurt a lot, Noah Sewell is a good LB, and an excellent CB (forget his name). He What else? The QB is a grad transfer from BC, and Vardell and Dye are a decent RB.

I do not think the Ducks have had and don’t have an elite roster. Where are all the NFL prospects? Someone enlighten me. I see Bama and UGA with 5 star recruits on the bench. Those are elite.
I mean if Alabama and Georgia are your benchmark then only LSU a couple of years ago had an elite roster (before they were all drafted in the first round!).

I'm not a Mario fan, per se, but he has to get them to play in Bum****, Oregon. That's not the easiest sell.

Advertisement
The question I have is, are the Oregon fans actually wrong though?

When you consider how weak the PAC-12 is & has been over the last 5 years, are they really that off base to expect to have more success considering they really don’t have much competition in the conference?

USC which is the traditional powerhouse of the PAC has been down for years now & Washington hasn’t been a major contender since 2016, so aside from Herm building up AZ St, who else should Oregon have to worry about? Even when Utah was on a run 2 years ago that was more of a testament to Whittingham getting them to play above their means rather them being a regular contender in the Pac especially since most of their previous success was when they were in the Mountain West.

It’s not that unrealistic for them to expect annual playoff appearances when winning the PAC-12 shouldn’t be that difficult for them to do with there not really being much tough comp for them to get past every year. Bellotti had this team humming in the PAC-10 days, then Chip Kelly picked up where Bellotti tapered off & ascended them into new heights had them burning down college football for a 4 year run, even Mark Helfrich was able to take the team to the playoffs where they gave FSU a historic beating. Oregon really only fell off after Helfrich got burned out (much like Richt) & Taggart finessed them for $3million & then left for FSU after 1 year lol.

Mario has done a good job getting them back to being the best team in the PAC-12, but in that case it’s always skewered by the fact they’re more than likely gonna miss playoffs every year because they have a few slip up games against teams they have no business losing to.

Oregon fans can be very delusional & ungrateful considering just a few seasons ago things looked really grim for them, but again, you have to factor in that in the PAC-12 USC & Washington are completely stagnant right now, so Oregon is really just competing themselves in the conference, which means all they have to do is handle their business & beat the teams they’re supposed to beat & they would be a shoo-in in the CFP as an undefeated PAC-12 champion.

I think another main reason the Oregon fans aren’t necessarily thrilled with Cristobal despite the success is they know the reason they’re going to drop a few games every year is because Mario’s offense isn’t up to the standard that Oregon identity was built on. His offense is some B1G power run ball control style sh*t that they don’t particularly like, it’s effective when you have a good defense, but it’s a dangerous when you’re playing a team with a good DLine that can go punch for punch with you & you end up in a late game nail-biter. Oregon fans are used to fast pace high octane uptempo offense that goes 100mph from the coin flip, Mario has them running that Moorehead Penn St offense & just like Penn St they’re due for at least 2 upsets a year against teams less talented than them because their offense is too predicated on ball control & not enough high powered scoring. That style of ball works most of the time, it’s just when it doesn’t it’s really frustrating to watch, because it’s possession after possession of all you needing is for one **** big play to crack open the game & it never comes.

I think most of our fans due to their desperation & fatigue of losing are assuming that Mario would build Miami up the same way he did Oregon & would have us in the same situation, but I will continue to caution fans, it ain’t as easy as you might think. The ACC is down just like the Pac-12 is, but the quality of players in the conference is absolutely 2nd to the SEC, meaning regardless of the records our conference does have very good players in it & winning the conference won’t be as easy it is in the PAC-12 because Miami is a lot further away from having a complete team as people might think we are.

If you’re expecting Mario to come here & turn it around in one or two seasons you might in for a rude awakening, even with Mario being heralded as the savior of Miami you guys will be equally as disappointed as Duck fans when we’re still struggling to be a 8-4 team in year 3.

This is just my opinion, but what Miami really needs is a coach to transform our entire identity (particularly on offense) into a team that has a schematic advantage in combination with an emphasis on recruiting speed. I think most fans are just looking at that Mario has landed some 5-stars up in Oregon & are assuming he’s going to do that here, but I’m telling yall that ball control style pound the rock offense is not gonna work here, if we really wanna become contenders we have to fully commit to becoming an offensive minded team that beats you through the air, we’re not gonna win this conference in the future trying to play Power Spread ball with Clemson & UNC.
That pound the rock bro style offense will keep us in perpetual purgatory here. If that’s what he’s going to run, and I don’t doubt it given what he does at Oregon, then I’d rather us look in a different direction. Only because I know that will never work. We’re not going to stack those types of players in the trenches.

I also have come to the belief that we would be best served to hire someone who runs their offense as the OC and an offense and defense commensurate with the skill sets of the players we will likely pull. So who fits this bill - like exactly?

Let's just make something very clear. There are posters on this site that think Miami didn't lose a game from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. From the year we won the first national championship to the year that run ended these were our records:

1983: 11-1
1984: 8-5
1985: 10-2
1986: 11-1
1987: 12-0
1988: 11-1
1989: 11-1
1990: 10-2
1991: 12-0
1992: 11-1
1993: 9-3
1994: 10-2

That's averaging 1.5 losses per year during what people here think is the greatest time in the history of forever. Only 2 undefeated seasons in 12 years. Five seasons with multiple losses. That means our expectations should be 11-1 or 10-2 every year. Mocking people for thinking that's what the expectation should be is just idiotic. Even Saban has only been able to run off a couple undefeated seasons.

That pound the rock bro style offense will keep us in perpetual purgatory here. If that’s what he’s going to run, and I don’t doubt it given what he does at Oregon, then I’d rather us look in a different direction. Only because I know that will never work. We’re not going to stack those types of players in the trenches.

I also have come to the belief that we would be best served to hire someone who runs their offense as the OC and an offense and defense commensurate with the skill sets of the players we will likely pull. So who fits this bill - like exactly?

Great minds think alike. I was just posting this too.

Can’t lie if Mario is the guy so be it. But I really want the OC/HC type of guy who is trying to put up 45-50 points a game…..

I mean if Alabama and Georgia are your benchmark then only LSU a couple of years ago had an elite roster (before they were all drafted in the first round!).

I'm not a Mario fan, per se, but he has to get them to play in Bum****, Oregon. That's not the easiest sell.
Not sure I follow you. I’ve read posts on here stating Mario should be dominating and undefeated the past few seasons in the PAC12 with his elite rosters. I don’t think Oregon’s overall talent has been nor is as good an many believe.

I’m not critical of Mario’s recruiting. I understand Oregon does not enjoy a local recruiting base like Florida. Texas, or California.

Last edited:
Advertisement

If Oregon can stack those type of players in the trenches, why can't we?

Mario is meant to be a killer recruiter - I assume that means he's a very good evaluator too?

Again, once USC straightens its a$$ right up and hires a serious HC with a power staff, Oregon is dead. Nobody’s going to play in Eugene when they can play in LA for Tommy Trojan.
I agree with what you’re are saying, which is why I’m shocked that Chip hasn’t been able to pull even a respectful class — despite UCLA being located in ******* Beverly Hills — while USC has been ****.

Advertisement

Are we saying Miami cannot recruit top OL, no matter who the HC is?

A finesse team is not winning the NC. Name the last one that did.

If Nick Saban and Alabama never came along there would be a lot of coaches whose tenure with teams would be much longer. The expectations are ridiculous. Going 10-2 on average with an undefeated season every 5-10 years should be the ceiling. Nowadays, two losses gets you fired.

If you have a chance to get into the playoffs every year then you should take that and live with it all day long.
Going undefeated every year wasnt ever normal for anybody other than us.

If Oregon can stack those type of players in the trenches, why can't we?

Mario is meant to be a killer recruiter - I assume that means he's a very good evaluator too?
He’s a good recruiter and evaluator. It’s easier to get that talent there right now with the PAC down. Here he’s dealing with a lot more SEC schools

Advertisement

I think guys like Lane, Freeze, Herman (to a lesser extent), Jeff Traylor & other offensive dynamos fit the bill.

I think guys like Lane, Freeze, Herman (to a lesser extent), Jeff Traylor & other offensive dynamos fit the bill.
I have a friend who worked with Herman at TX. He’s a weird, corny dude and the players thought the same at TX. I want a serious type, a guy who commands respect. It’s why I would pass on Kiffin and Herman types.

Not sure I follow you. I’ve read posts on here stating Mario should be dominating and undefeated the past few seasons in the PAC12 with his elite rosters. I don’t think Oregon’s overall talent has been nor is as good an many believe.

I’m not critical of Mario’s recruiting. I understand Oregon does not enjoy a local recruiting base like Florida. Texas, or California.
I think the point is he's recruiting well 'for Oregon'.

Those 'dominant' Kelly teams were successful because he picked up undersized, undervalued, speed players and put them in a breakneck offence. He never recruited studs.

I have a friend who worked with Herman at TX. He’s a weird, corny dude and the players thought the same at TX. I want a serious type, a guy who commands respect. It’s why I would pass on Kiffin and Herman types.
Tell me more...

Advertisement
Back