“It’s Okay to Be Disappointed With Mario Cristobal” - Oregon Writer

If Nick Saban and Alabama never came along there would be a lot of coaches whose tenure with teams would be much longer. The expectations are ridiculous. Going 10-2 on average with an undefeated season every 5-10 years should be the ceiling. Nowadays, two losses gets you fired.

If you have a chance to get into the playoffs every year then you should take that and live with it all day long.
amen! Also why playoffs should be expanded

Advertisement
GTFOH.

The Saban-zation, Bama-fication of CFB has ruined CFB, in some ways. You’re gonna fire a HC after a 5-6 season run of 11/10 win seasons without a NC? Didn’t beat Team X by 30, only by 7?

Stupid pfans and porsters whose self-esteem is tied to a football team, something 99% never participated in at that level.

GTFOH.

The Saban-zation, Bama-fication of CFB has ruined CFB, in some ways. You’re gonna fire a HC after a 5-6 season run of 11/10 win seasons without a NC? Didn’t beat Team X by 30, only by 7?

Stupid pfans and porsters whose self-esteem is tied to a football team, something 99% never participated in at that level.
exactly

This article is a reflection of the same conversations on here for the past decade.

Some Oregon fans do not like barely beating poor teams and see taking a loss or two as red flags.
Then there is the, a win is a win fans and 10 wins and bowls is enough.

If Nick Saban and Alabama never came along there would be a lot of coaches whose tenure with teams would be much longer. The expectations are ridiculous. Going 10-2 on average with an undefeated season every 5-10 years should be the ceiling. Nowadays, two losses gets you fired.

If you have a chance to get into the playoffs every year then you should take that and live with it all day long.
Thats all I am looking for and with where this university is located and their inability to bag up…. I still think it is realistic.

Miami got mauled for pell grant fraud. I still think that is funny, dinner at Benihana is just plain sad. Schools use churches to launder money and Miami gets sent up for the above. HFS!

Advertisement
Thats all I am looking for and with where this university is located and their inability to bag up…. I still think it is realistic.

Miami got mauled for pell grant fraud. I still think that is funny, dinner at Benihana is just plain sad. Schools use churches to launder money and Miami gets sent up for the above. HFS!
Miami didn’t know how to get on the Right Side of Jesus, unlike the Southeastern Conference.

I'll preface this with admitting that I've always hated Oregon and their title-less shtick and think they have an absolute ceiling if just USC ever got their **** back together (not to mention Washington or UCLA too) but...

....some of CIS acts like Luigi built their program or has taken them to new heights. Just based on what they did AT Oregon, I'd say he's clearly not in Chip Kelly's or even Mike Bellotti's league (as Bellotti w/ Phil Knight actually built that program).

Ted DiBiase was the mf’n man!

IMO one of the top 3 best Heels in the business.
1635009072352.gif

Advertisement
I'll preface this with admitting that I've always hated Oregon and their title-less shtick and think they have an absolute ceiling if just USC ever got their **** back together (not to mention Washington or UCLA too) but...

....some of CIS acts like Luigi built their program or has taken them to new heights. Just based on what they did AT Oregon, I'd say he's clearly not in Chip Kelly's or even Mike Bellotti's league (as Bellotti w/ Phil Knight actually built that program).
You are correct. He fixed taggarts/Helfrich mess but he def didn't have a massive rebuild on his hands.

Chip Kelly's Oregon teams would easily beat Mario's best Oregon team

You are correct. He fixed taggarts/Helfrich mess but he def didn't have a massive rebuild on his hands.

I'm not sure they would.

Chip Kelly's teams were revolutionary, but everyone has caught up to that style of offence now. Every other team runs an up-tempo spread.

When donors are spending what they are spending in Eugene, and you aren't getting to the CFP, despite being in a conference where the major powers are really down, it's easy to see why someone would be disappointed in Mario. Mario is the kind of guy that is what he is: A 9-10 win coach, and that's with Nike money supporting him. He can recruit, but **** near anyone can recruit at a place like Oregon, where you have a bottomless budget.

This is why I'm super curious as to why our fanbase is so enamored with him. Mario is an upgrade over Manny(but who isn't), but if he wasn't a former Miami letterwinner, we'd view him a lot differently. This isn't Michigan bringing home Harbaugh, who won at multiple levels, including in the NFL. Mario is the safe hire, he's also the expensive hire that will most likely drive us nuts because eventually, you'll realize that you are paying a lot for a relatively low ceiling. 9-10 wins per year is great, but we'll get tired of spending elite coach money, for a product that is maddingly inconsistent. I'm convinced that you can get similar production from a multitude of other guys, and they won't cost you elite coach money.

Last edited:

Taggart was there for all of one year. It was Helfrich and his inability to keep the momentum going that was the problem. That said, Oregon is in a conference where USC is down, Washington has stepped back from Petersen, and UCLA is inconsistent. Oregon should be dominating that conference right now.

Advertisement
College football isn’t the same as it was as near as 3 years ago. NIL’s adversity, culture change, diversity, social media BS. It’s very difficult to reach todays players and get them all going in the same direction week in week out. Miami will always put out a stud or two who will make it to the next level. Too many players today have personal agendas and the hunger to come together as a TEAM to win a championship is a rarity. Coaches don’t fumble, drop passes. Miss tackles, etc. coaching techniques can help but you still wont reach all the players. Coaches like Saban and Mario are all in and committed to excellence. I’d take Mario in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure they would.

Chip Kelly's teams were revolutionary, but everyone has caught up to that style of offence now. Every other team runs an up-tempo spread.
Mannn, I'd take that bet. Chip Kelly's best squad vs Mario's best squad. Defenses may be better prepared but it's still about the talent level in that offense. Chip Kelly with a full compliment of talented players like he had is lighting a scoreboard up

In 1990, Miami went 9-2, and the fans were furious..
Til they smacked Texas and I think we all enjoyed that. God you made me date myself there. And that’s the problem, 30 f’ing years ago. Stop living in the past those players have had grandkids

Advertisement
Oregon has manufactured wins and some stature with $ but they lack the institutional advantages that the traditional powers have. In my opinion they've hit their ceiling, sure they'll win 9-11 games but does anyone really think they'll be able to win it all? Money will keep them flashy and competitive but any coach who is serious about building a national championship infrastructure and program will bolt when the right job comes calling.

Can Miami lure Mario away? Sure they can they have all the institutional advantages over Oregon ( Championship Tradition, Fertile Recruiting Grounds, NFL player success, etc) except one. And that one is $. If Miami shows Mario (or any other competitive coach) that they are serious about funding the program they will come in a heartbeat. This is a place where you can win fast, even through our struggles we still recruit at a top 15 level and we're in the weakest division of any conference. That's a recipe for a fast turnaround with a coaching staff that isn't learning on the job.

Mannn, I'd take that bet. Chip Kelly's best squad vs Mario's best squad. Defenses may be better prepared but it's still about the talent level in that offense. Chip Kelly with a full compliment of talented players like he had is lighting a scoreboard up
I'd happily take the bet that they wouldn't win easily i.e. by 3 TDs, sure.

The question I have is, are the Oregon fans actually wrong though?

When you consider how weak the PAC-12 is & has been over the last 5 years, are they really that off base to expect to have more success considering they really don’t have much competition in the conference?

USC which is the traditional powerhouse of the PAC has been down for years now & Washington hasn’t been a major contender since 2016, so aside from Herm building up AZ St, who else should Oregon have to worry about? Even when Utah was on a run 2 years ago that was more of a testament to Whittingham getting them to play above their means rather them being a regular contender in the Pac especially since most of their previous success was when they were in the Mountain West.

It’s not that unrealistic for them to expect annual playoff appearances when winning the PAC-12 shouldn’t be that difficult for them to do with there not really being much tough comp for them to get past every year. Bellotti had this team humming in the PAC-10 days, then Chip Kelly picked up where Bellotti tapered off & ascended them into new heights had them burning down college football for a 4 year run, even Mark Helfrich was able to take the team to the playoffs where they gave FSU a historic beating. Oregon really only fell off after Helfrich got burned out (much like Richt) & Taggart finessed them for $3million & then left for FSU after 1 year lol.

Mario has done a good job getting them back to being the best team in the PAC-12, but in that case it’s always skewered by the fact they’re more than likely gonna miss playoffs every year because they have a few slip up games against teams they have no business losing to.

Oregon fans can be very delusional & ungrateful considering just a few seasons ago things looked really grim for them, but again, you have to factor in that in the PAC-12 USC & Washington are completely stagnant right now, so Oregon is really just competing themselves in the conference, which means all they have to do is handle their business & beat the teams they’re supposed to beat & they would be a shoo-in in the CFP as an undefeated PAC-12 champion.

I think another main reason the Oregon fans aren’t necessarily thrilled with Cristobal despite the success is they know the reason they’re going to drop a few games every year is because Mario’s offense isn’t up to the standard that Oregon identity was built on. His offense is some B1G power run ball control style sh*t that they don’t particularly like, it’s effective when you have a good defense, but it’s a dangerous when you’re playing a team with a good DLine that can go punch for punch with you & you end up in a late game nail-biter. Oregon fans are used to fast pace high octane uptempo offense that goes 100mph from the coin flip, Mario has them running that Moorehead Penn St offense & just like Penn St they’re due for at least 2 upsets a year against teams less talented than them because their offense is too predicated on ball control & not enough high powered scoring. That style of ball works most of the time, it’s just when it doesn’t it’s really frustrating to watch, because it’s possession after possession of all you needing is for one **** big play to crack open the game & it never comes.

I think most of our fans due to their desperation & fatigue of losing are assuming that Mario would build Miami up the same way he did Oregon & would have us in the same situation, but I will continue to caution fans, it ain’t as easy as you might think. The ACC is down just like the Pac-12 is, but the quality of players in the conference is absolutely 2nd to the SEC, meaning regardless of the records our conference does have very good players in it & winning the conference won’t be as easy it is in the PAC-12 because Miami is a lot further away from having a complete team as people might think we are.

If you’re expecting Mario to come here & turn it around in one or two seasons you might in for a rude awakening, even with Mario being heralded as the savior of Miami you guys will be equally as disappointed as Duck fans when we’re still struggling to be a 8-4 team in year 3.

This is just my opinion, but what Miami really needs is a coach to transform our entire identity (particularly on offense) into a team that has a schematic advantage in combination with an emphasis on recruiting speed. I think most fans are just looking at that Mario has landed some 5-stars up in Oregon & are assuming he’s going to do that here, but I’m telling yall that ball control style pound the rock offense is not gonna work here, if we really wanna become contenders we have to fully commit to becoming an offensive minded team that beats you through the air, we’re not gonna win this conference in the future trying to play Power Spread ball with Clemson & UNC.

Last edited:
Its all perspective.
When a fan base expects to win national championships they are disappointed by only making the playoffs or winning conference championship.
When a fan base expects to finish 6-6 they are very happy to win a conference championship.
When a fan base expects to finish 2-10, they are happy to finish 6-6

Advertisement
Back