Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)

Ok nevermind... from a coach that was at the shrine bowl he’s 255 tops. Not the 270ish I thought. Still a good player. Would be nice to pair him with Kennedy. A developmental guy and a seasoned vet ready to start.

Sucks that we have to take guys like this but it is what it is. If they develop that great if not they’ll get the vibe and transfer out in 2-3 years ala tre Johnson

Advertisement
Let's hope he's the next Forrest Lamp. We blew it not taking him when he wanted in and everybody here (including me) would have thought he was a reach at the time.

2 star.PNG
doc rivers.gif

Last edited:
Ok nevermind... from a coach that was at the shrine bowl he’s 255 tops. Not the 270ish I thought. Still a good player. Would be nice to pair him with Kennedy. A developmental guy and a seasoned vet ready to start.

Sucks that we have to take guys like this but it is what it is. If they develop that great if not they’ll get the vibe and transfer out in 2-3 years ala tre Johnson

What did he say about his game?

Advertisement
You didn't think anyone was capable of turning this once-proud program into a bigger embarrassment than Al Golden. But now we have Mark Richt flipping a two-star OT from Appalachian f***ing State as he ineptly scrambles to fill out his Year 3 recruiting class. In the midst of widespread decommitments and a maddeningly inexplicable decision to maintain the status quo offensively.

And LOL at anyone pointing the finger at Searles instead of Richt. Searles is a dumpster fire, but it's Richt's call to pursue and accept a commitment from a two-star recruit at any position.

Advertisement
When you start recruiting like we have during this cycle ... you know the program is in disarray.

This entire staff is going down the road Shannon and Golden went down.

It’s the beginning of the end for this staff.
Good point.

When you're taking super lowly rated guys, really far down on your board like this years into your tenure then you know your time's about up. Recruits no longer are buying the bull**** you're selling them because there's enough tape of your teams now to tell the story.

We saw it with Shannon (Stephen Plein, Kelvin Cain, Jeffery Brown), Golden (Joe Brown, Terry McCray, James King, Terrance Henley) and now it's starting to happen with Richt.

Knowing our ****** administration we'll probably have another two years to deal with this sh't though.

What did he say about his game?

Dominated high school talent in his district, elite balance and feet, so athletic he’s played TE and some WR in 7on7 in the summer and spring. Impossible to beat him around the edge because of his length and he knows it so he doesn’t bite and drift outside on speed rushers just to get beat on an inside move. Got handled by Zacch Pickens in practice but it was usually a bull rush and Pickens is every bit of 285 and strong as an ox. Another matchup was a 6’6 DE (not sure who) that is committed to a D1 school and has many P5 offers and dominated every other OT in practice and he had no problem handling him. Just needs strength and weight. Could even afford to gain some “bad weight” as he’s a very lean 250.

I guess they did some kind of combine type workout and he ran as well as TEs and LBs that were 30 pounds lighter. Best OL or DL time in the 40 at the entire shrine bowl.

Sr year highlights - your going to need a strong drink considering what was / is available in Florida alone for 2019

Lol what is available in Florida?

Besides Jake Pope, who they obv don't like (and if you want to be mad about Pope ok at least that's an argument, this kid looks more lean and flexible)...Name an athletic LT prospect? I'll wait. Not a guard prospect, not a kid that maybe can play RT...A LT prospect.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reminds me of the 6’7 OT we coveted last year that wound up at FSU.

Gloss...

We are recruiting a couple of these types. The Wake commits, Al Gammal, a few weeks back Ivins said we are in on the NC commit from Philly, etc...

Advertisement
Still checking ..Mark fox still doesn't have an offer but this kid does? Ohh okay cool.

Fox doesn't project to LT at the next level...Is this kid risky sure? But we have room on the roster fo an athletic LT prospect. This kid can move for 6'5 or 6'6 250

I thought his highlights were intriguing. My buddy who is an OL coach likes him.

We shouldn’t be in this position but this guy has a chance.

I agree. I think he is going to be a starter down the road. Kid is very very athletic.

Advertisement
Back