Zion Nelson, OT, Sumter HS (SC)

App state has had a few o lineman in the league lately. I think even one or two going this yr. They are all like this kid. Athletic need gain weight.

Advertisement
Fox doesn't project to LT at the next level...Is this kid risky sure? But we have room on the roster fo an athletic LT prospect. This kid can move for 6'5 or 6'6 250
At 6'4" 290 he doesn't project as a tackle, but this kid is the size of herdon or a typical hback projects better at tackle?

At 6'4" 290 he doesn't project as a tackle, but this kid is the size of herdon or a typical hback projects better at tackle?

Yes, you are getting it...Jason Fox, Eric Winston types. And a lot of the basketball types that teams recruiting that end up becoming good tackles...Specifically LT.

Advertisement
We have officially reached the Al Golden "hidden gem" chapter of this staff's tenure. Shouldn't be too much longer now, guys - we're nearing the end of the book.
Or it could be the Jimmy Johnson/Butch Davis hidden gem chapter. I know you'll say not these days, but you never know.

I've talked to coaches, in particular former UM DL coach the late Bob Karmelowicz. He told me if I could find a certain body type, to let him know. He said, "we'll make him into a football player."

Yeah, we're taking a hit with the big names this year, but let's see what happens.

Goss had legit offers from us, FSU, UF and Auburn. This is not that situation.

They are similar as prospects and what you are hoping they project to.

Give a **** about where the kid is recruited. And there are about 30-35 teams right now that would be favored on a neutral over Appalachain State if their coach was still there.

I thought his highlights were intriguing. My buddy who is an OL coach likes him.

We shouldn’t be in this position but this guy has a chance.
The kid is built like a DE with the long arms and very quick feet for an OL and seems to have good balance-things you cant teach. Only problem for now is, he is just to light. If he puts on 40 lbs we good.

Yes, you are getting it...Jason Fox, Eric Winston types. And a lot of the basketball types that teams recruiting that end up becoming good tackles...Specifically LT.
He isn't Winston. His competition is terrible, and not a single local big d1 school offered UNC, NC State, Wake, USC jr (have fox), but some how we found the diamond in the rough? On top of that people always talk we need kids who want to be canes well fox has expressed a strong interest but nothing. Man I don't see it but I'll let the guy who produced some of the worst results with a Miami oline go find 2* others can be happy about.

Advertisement
But we have 2-3 OT prospects in South Florida begging for offers. Searles can go get f*cked
This is what I don't get

I'm not a fan if Searles, but willing to give him a chance and see how he develops his younger players.

But I don't get ignoring younger players.

Maybe his a Gem recruit like on ncaa 14. Rated at a 64 but jumps to a 72 with scouting ???

But, that begs the question...if you were playing as Miami, under what scenario would you EVER be dumpster diving the 2* players?

I guess you simmed to 2018, Miami just lost their DC after a 7-5 season with only one OL commitment. You sorted by Lock % and this guy was sitting there at 27%. Scouted him to 68 OVR and yer like...well...at least he's athletic with that 70 SPD, 72 ACC, and 92 ACC. But, 72 STR? Hard times.

Lol what is available in Florida?

Besides Jake Pope, who they obv don't like (and if you want to be mad about Pope ok at least that's an argument, this kid looks more lean and flexible)...Name an athletic LT prospect? I'll wait. Not a guard prospect, not a kid that maybe can play RT...A LT prospect.

Advertisement
He’s 265-270. When I was at ETSU we offered his freshman or sophomore year. Good player. Miami caliber? Idk. He could develop to be pretty **** good
I like his frame and ability to move. Developmental player? Yeah. If he can put on weight and get strong enough he might surprise. Ordinarily, we might not look at this guy. I'd rather take a big athletic kid from the South than scouring the Midwest for big lumbering OLs.

You didn't think anyone was capable of turning this once-proud program into a bigger embarrassment than Al Golden. But now we have Mark Richt flipping a two-star OT from Appalachian f***ing State as he ineptly scrambles to fill out his Year 3 recruiting class. In the midst of widespread decommitments and a maddeningly inexplicable decision to maintain the status quo offensively.

And LOL at anyone pointing the finger at Searles instead of Richt. Searles is a dumpster fire, but it's Richt's call to pursue and accept a commitment from a two-star recruit at any position.
Just curious ...how many stars did Joaquin Gonzales gave? Was he highly recruited?

Advertisement
We have converted a lot of TEs to OT over the years. Mark Cooper ended up a 2nd round pick at OG for the Broncos and started in a Super Bowl. His first year at UM he played TE. Carlos Etheridge started at TE for us and played OL for us his last year. He then played two years at TE with the Colts.

Last edited:
But we have 2-3 OT prospects in South Florida begging for offers. Searles can go get f*cked

Whether you like this kid or don’t...realize that there isn’t a similar player in Sofla this year

His particular skillset (and i’m not defending it or the take) isn’t available in Sofla this year. Maybe Pope from STA the most similar but he looks stiffer (and bigger in all fairness) than this kid.

So yeah there are kids in Sofla this year, but none of them are similar to this kid as a player.

Last edited:
270? Eric Winston? Man y'all just making stuff up to feel better about it huh? He is an H back we offered at ot

Advertisement
Back