Zion Nelson is athletic!

Advertisement
Exactly. There are millions of 6’5 dudes who aren’t rail thin who can dunk. That dude must have never heard of Charles Barkley either. He was about 6’3 and 270 and could get it.

Being 6’5 and not being able to dunk a basketball is criminal.

These guys think that because they have a 3 inch vertical that is the norm. If you are 6'5 and can't dunk you probably also have asthma attacks from walking up the stairs.

6-3 and 370 dunking--of course if you can clean and jerk around 500 and squat over 900 it helps.

ido.gif

Advertisement
A windmill dunk at his size is still impressive. There's a difference between dunking the ball with one hand and pulling off a windmill.

The reason vertical leap is important for linemen is because it's the best measure of a player's explosiveness. In no way does it mean he'll be a great lineman but if you don't at least have the initial burst, you'll never be a good lineman. Nelson's done all the right stuff since enrolling. If he can pick up the scheme as fast as he's gaining weight, he'll be a contributor for sure as a freshman.

If I were Coach Diaz or Butch Barry, i'd ask someone in operations to grab some grad school kids and do a research study on what Zion was being fed (or not fed) in High School. Then I'd add that as a category field to OL recruitment profiles. Count me in for these athletic dudes who apparently seamlessly gain 50-60 pounds in 6.5 months.

This is back to back years they've signed an athletic, underweight lineman who has managed to pack on serious weight in a short amount of time. Last year Rousseau was looking like he was going to be a regular in the DE rotation before he got hurt and Nelson will at least play even if he doesn't earn a starting spot this year.

Rousseau was what, 215 as a high school senior and was up to around 250 by last summer?
Nelson came in at under 245 and is up to 275 (reportedly) now?

These kids were malnourished.

Hard to keep the weight on when you play basketball too.

My weight lifting coach was on my *** because I didn’t bulk up as much from his workouts.

I did summer training for both sports and it takes a toll on your body’s calorie needs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
LT Scaife || Nelson || Brown

LG Donaldson || Traore || Dykstra

C Gaynor || Clark || Kennedy

RG Reed || Hillery || Moose

RT Herbert || Campbell || Elgammal
I think Hillery and Campbell would start over Herbert based on what I saw and heard this spring.

Advertisement
I think Hillery and Campbell would start over Herbert based on what I saw and heard this spring.
Campbell was abused in the spring game and started camp out as a first team lineman and was 2nd team after the second week or so. Herbert has made improvements. Hillery is playing guard so how exactly would he start over Herbert?

View attachment 87716
Just going to leave this here
Either this is photoshopped or Barkley is wearing high heels. I met the dude face to face at a bar in San Antonio back in 2001 and he wasn't near 6'7" He's probably a hair over 6'3". he wasn't much taller than me and I'm 6'. The only NBA player I've ever met in person who was as tall as his "listed" height was Shaq. That dude is a friggin mountain. I used to see Brian Grant in the Keys all the time when he was playing for the Heat. At first I didn't think it was him because he looked so short. he was a super friendly dude but he was maybe 6'4"-6'5".

If I were Coach Diaz or Butch Barry, i'd ask someone in operations to grab some grad school kids and do a research study on what Zion was being fed (or not fed) in High School. Then I'd add that as a category field to OL recruitment profiles. Count me in for these athletic dudes who apparently seamlessly gain 50-60 pounds in 6.5 months.

I remember Butch talking about how he’d try to find out what was in the kitchen during home visits to see if the kid had room to grow or not.

Advertisement
Back