Zion Nelson is athletic!

How did he shrink an inch turning and facing the camera?
Either this is photoshopped or Barkley is wearing high heels. I met the dude face to face at a bar in San Antonio back in 2001 and he wasn't near 6'7" He's probably a hair over 6'3". he wasn't much taller than me and I'm 6'. The only NBA player I've ever met in person who was as tall as his "listed" height was Shaq. That dude is a friggin mountain. I used to see Brian Grant in the Keys all the time when he was playing for the Heat. At first I didn't think it was him because he looked so short. he was a super friendly dude but he was maybe 6'4"-6'5".

Here he is next to 6’8 Dominique and 6’3 dumars. Maybe the weight changed his posture🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
I always remember him listed at 6’6”.

It stood out in my mind because he was the same height as most 2 guards but dominated in the paint.

Advertisement
Wilkins is probably 6'7. Barkley is clearly a couple inches shorter than him in this pic. Look how much closer he is to the camera. We have no idea how big a heel is on those shoes. NBA has been known to gas up heights.
Lmao he’s probably a half step closer wouldn’t make a difference at all. I know they gas up heights but he’s closer to 6’6 than 6’3. But it is what it is.

Lmao he’s probably a half step closer wouldn’t make a difference at all. I know they gas up heights but he’s closer to 6’6 than 6’3. But it is what it is.

Look at there relation to that trophy. Wilkins feet are quite a few inches back from the trophy and his front foot is almost in front of it. You would be surprised how much that makes a difference. Dude is nowhere near 6'6 lol.

LT Scaife || Nelson || Brown

LG Donaldson || Traore || Dykstra

C Gaynor || Clark || Kennedy

RG Reed || Hillery || Moose

RT Herbert || Campbell || Elgammal

That lineup shouldn't prevent Enos from doing what he wants to do on offense. And if Nelson turns out as good as Jason Fox, as D$ thinks could be the case, then the OL moves from questionable to a strength.

There is a tremendous amount of athleticism among that group if the new staff can draw it out of them. We know what Donaldson and Scaife can do. I loved Reed coming out of HS, but knew he had a weight and conditioning problem. If he can just get those under control, he'll be a beast. If not, Traore and Hillery can man the spot albeit with less upside. Gaynor is perfect at center.

It all comes down to limiting the injuries (especially at the same time), and that final tackle spot. Hope either Nelson or Herbert can be that guy.

The NBA is the only league that measures players' heights while in shoes. On top of that, they exaggerate to make their players seem larger than life. I can only go by what I've seen face to face, in person and Charles Barkley is maaaaaaybe 6'4" tops. He also drinks Coors Light at the bar.

Advertisement
Either this is photoshopped or Barkley is wearing high heels. I met the dude face to face at a bar in San Antonio back in 2001 and he wasn't near 6'7" He's probably a hair over 6'3". he wasn't much taller than me and I'm 6'.

Maybe you’re actually taller than you think you are.

Either this is photoshopped or Barkley is wearing high heels. I met the dude face to face at a bar in San Antonio back in 2001 and he wasn't near 6'7" He's probably a hair over 6'3". he wasn't much taller than me and I'm 6'. The only NBA player I've ever met in person who was as tall as his "listed" height was Shaq. That dude is a friggin mountain. I used to see Brian Grant in the Keys all the time when he was playing for the Heat. At first I didn't think it was him because he looked so short. he was a super friendly dude but he was maybe 6'4"-6'5".
Tallest dude I saw in person was Jon Koncak, he played for the Hawks when Lenny Wilkins was coach. They came in a restaurant I was in and he literally had to bend over at the waist to get through the door. He was listed at 6'9 and was every bit of it.

Advertisement
Tallest dude I saw in person was Jon Koncak, he played for the Hawks when Lenny Wilkins was coach. They came in a restaurant I was in and he literally had to bend over at the waist to get through the door. He was listed at 6'9 and was every bit of it.
I ran into Constantin Popa a few times while I was at Miami. I'm 6 feet tall and felt like a midget. He was 7'3".

Went to a NJ Nets vs Utah Jazz exibition game at the James L Knight Center in 85 or 86 and Mark Eaton walked right by me. That dude was soooo much bigger than any other human I'd ever seen.

He was CRAZY big:

7FBEB32F-4EB9-40FE-8056-C0EB95E71284.png
n int

Last edited:
The NBA is the only league that measures players' heights while in shoes. On top of that, they exaggerate to make their players seem larger than life. I can only go by what I've seen face to face, in person and Charles Barkley is maaaaaaybe 6'4" tops. He also drinks Coors Light at the bar.

Sometimes. Sometimes not. K Durant is 6'11, not his listed 6'9. And Kevin Garnett was a legit 7' but preferred to be listed at 6'11.

But in general ,in both football and basketball, players are listed a bit taller and a bit lighter than they actually are. Shaq was still being listed at 315 lbs late in his career, when he weighted 350+

Advertisement
Jon Koncak aka Jon Contract aka Cak Fu was listed at 7' and was every bit of that. He got a 6 year 13M a year contract in 1989 after averaging 4.5 pts a game at a time when very few players were making over 2M a year. Players laughed at that contract but loved him for it because it drove up their values. As an aside, my Sis went to Vandy with Will Perdue and I met him and hung out with him a few times when I lived in Chicago. Super cool guy who was also every bit of 7' with feet that were every bit of size 21. Trust me, size 21 Topsiders are a sight to behold.

Sometimes. Sometimes not. K Durant is 6'11, not his listed 6'9. And Kevin Garnett was a legit 7' but preferred to be listed at 6'11.

But in general ,in both football and basketball, players are listed a bit taller and a bit lighter than they actually are. Shaq was still being listed at 315 lbs late in his career, when he weighted 350+
There are exceptions to the rule. I know there's been a couple of recent NFL quarterbacks (Brock Osweiler being one) who have listed their height as a couple inches shorter than their actual height. They felt that teams would be scared off by a 6'8" QB but would have no such issues with the same guy if he was 6'6".

Shaq was listed at 350 when he was still playing with the Lakers. After the trade to the Heat, Reily forced him to slim down a bit but by the end of his career, he was easily back over 350lbs.

Jon Koncak aka Jon Contract aka Cak Fu was listed at 7' and was every bit of that. He got a 6 year 13M a year contract in 1989 after averaging 4.5 pts a game at a time when very few players were making over 2M a year. Players laughed at that contract but loved him for it because it drove up their values. As an aside, my Sis went to Vandy with Will Perdue and I met him and hung out with him a few times when I lived in Chicago. Super cool guy who was also every bit of 7' with feet that were every bit of size 21. Trust me, size 21 Topsiders are a sight to behold.
Small world, I was in middle school so my memory is a little hazy. We're talking almost 25 years ago, I thought he was listed at 6'9 but I don't doubt it was 7' that guy was huge!
Super nice guy, I wrote to him after that day and sent him like 4 of his cards to sign and he not only signed all of them, but wrote a letter I still have. He was very polite and told me to focus on school and follow my dreams.
He's absolutely a stand up guy.

Advertisement
Back