Zalon'tae Hillery & Kai-Leon Herbert

Advertisement
Both guys are getting better. Hillary is nicked up now but has a future at guard IMO. Herbert is coming along and has physical tools.

Campbell and Scaife are second team right now because they are really talented.

What's the word with dykstra? I was ecstatic when he signed with us. Does he have a future with us? Will he transfer? Or be a Bar Milo just hanging around enjoying beaches b!itches and sunshine?

Yes I know he's a red shirt freshman!

What's the word with dykstra? I was ecstatic when he signed with us. Does he have a future with us? Will he transfer? Or be a Bar Milo just hanging around enjoying beaches b!itches and sunshine?

Yes I know he's a red shirt freshman!

Don’t hold your breath on Dykstra.

But sometimes guys improve more than expected, like Jones and Mahoney. So who knows?

Herbert was just 2nd string RT. He must have struggled in the scrimmage. I never was that high on herbert. He was athletic but never saw anything to make me think he was going to be this great tackle.

once he catches up physically, he will be fine. the thing i'm really high on kai about is the mental side of the position. kid is very sharp.

Advertisement
Since we are here, did both guys ends up getting a redshirt? Just curious.

I can't believe this is actually a discussion.

Advertisement
Sounds like a great infusion of talent to me. We're at a better point today along the OL than we were last Fall and during the Spring.
Facts, coach brown just said today that This was the most talented Oline depth wise they have had since they have been here and 2nd team which includes 3 freshman are very talented

Last edited:
Right I agree o lineman take longer to develop. I’m tired of hearing people writing off these two. I’m writing Dykstra off cuz I honestly think he should have never been offered a spot here.

No writing them off at all just wanted to see more. Hillery was the scout team MVP, so I was expecting after a full season in the system with the buzz around him that a true freshman wouldn’t be able to step on campus and take his spot.

I for one will never write a kid off in his second season. I am simply stating that I would have liked to see these two kids own those back up spots and allow Campbell and Reed to redshirt or at best only play mop up duty.

I want to see championship depth on this offensive line and the guys in that 2017 class are going to be very important I’m creating that. Once again not writing them off just wanted to see more.

Advertisement
Herbert is a sophomore who was battling injuries and Hillery is a redshirt freshman. Give them some time to develop.
I think his point was he was expecting to see them, Hillery and Herbert, ahead of true freshmen when they have been thru 2 spring and fall practices. It affects our depth and quality of backups. IMO if these two don't live up to billing, it means we have to recruit two more OL/Tackles to maintain our competitiveness.

Hillary was scout team player of the year and transitioning to OG. Maybe it is nice to have guys like Scaife, Campbell, and Reed be TALENTED players. That is huge for us. Kai Herbert, has had a messed up shoulder holding him back, but please give the kid time. His ceiling is HIGH, just needs to get healthy and stronger.

Advertisement
Not saying they are JAGS and not expecting the world form them. I’m simply saying it’s disapointing that true freshman were able to beat them out. Cleveland has been on campus for a few months and has taken Hillery spot. Hillery was 2nd right guard during the spring and now he is no where to be found on the depth chart.

I hate seeing true freshman in the two deep although I do know that times have changed and true freshman offensive lineman contribute all the time on winning teams. Clemson had 2 true freshman start on their offensive line the year they on the National Championship.

I see it completely different. I think it's fantastic that two true freshman are beating them out currently. Hillery and Herbert have not regressed, and 4-5 years ago these two would have been considered A+ players under the old regime. So it means that we have two potential future All-Americans right now as freshmen.

That's a good thing, my dude.

I think it's still premature to write them off, but worse case H&H end up maxing out as perennial 2nd stringers for us. ****, if that's the caliber of our 2nd string OL, then we will be in **** good shape for years to come.

Maybe a guy like Scaife, reed and John Campbell was more talented than given credit for. **** Campbell had a load of big time offers and had excellent film but because he struggled or was inconsistent at the Orlando Nike opening camp 247 dropped his rating and never moved it up since which was silly imo.

Ps. Another thing our olineman look like lineman should look physically which is enouraging
9EAA8583-98A4-4D32-886F-FDDE81E50BEC.jpeg

Jahair jones and Tyree St. Louis on the ends

Last edited:
What’s the deal with Corey Gaynor? Thought he was coming on strong last year in camp and I haven’t heard anything about him at all this year

Advertisement
Back