Your first UM game..

Advertisement
First home game vs FSU in '78 in the OB.
OJ did his thing in a loss.

I sat in one of the best seats in the house....mainly because there wasn't enough fans to fill all of the "best seats in the house".

I have been a fan since '83 but first game live was F$U at Miami 2004 and the old girl was rockin' that night. Gore broke it for the winning TD in OT and the place went nuts.

On a sidenote, met 2 cool dudes while watching the game and we grabbed beers/ hot dogs (I think) at halftime. Well, these guys were going to a party afterwards and the one guy sitting in front of me had on a white shirt and sat back too far at one point and got ketchup/mustard from my hot dog ALL over the back of his shirt. I was hammered and cannot remember if I said something or not. Either way, if you are on here I still feel bad to this day even though it was an accident. I guess that is what happens when one has a dozen shots of Crown Royal and beers at the W-2 parking lot. Only time I was ever at the Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
'55 game in OB against Bama. We beat them They sucked that year. (I think it was '55. Have to look it up.)

They had future Packer great Bart Starr at QB, I think.

I've attended UM games in: Boston, MA; Syracuse, NY; Pittsburgh, PA; Baltimore and College Park, MD; Gainesville, FL; New Orleans and Baton Rouge, LA; Tempe, AZ; Pasadena, CA; South Bend, IN; Ann Arbor, MI.

That's 10 states.

Venues I've wanted to attend and missed include Columbus, OH; State College, PA; Tallahassee, FL; Atlanta, GA; Dallas, TX; Chicago, IL.....I guess that's it. Oh, yeah, Memphis....the music and BBQ.

Last edited:
Great OP here , now my mind is downloading memories.

Tony Christiiany ( spelling) nose tackle stud smalll DUDE.

Oh and I think Steadman Scavella ( spelling) another Southwest high player that star on Canes same time.

🙌🙌🙌🙌 OP HERE

GOCANES
I used to know a lot of Southwest High players from early '60's thru a friend there.

Soldinger played there in early '60's. As I understand the history, they opened Coral Park in the mid-60's and a lot of the talent moved from SW to CP.

It was Cristiani. Search YT for a video on his induction into UM HOF, I think. Came from a famous circus family.

He was a fierce little stud. Little guy was very hard to block.

Want to see some little studs, look for thread here on '79 UM-PSU game. Starting center was 230 lb Don Bailey. Even smaller was a fierce little OG named Art Kehoe who was about 225.:watch them against some of the big DLs from PSU.

Last edited:
Now that we've spent that last few weeks cringing about what will be in the present, take a moment to reminisce about the past -- something we as Canes fans have grown quite fond of doing over the last decade and a half.

When and where was the first UM game you attended?

I'll kick it off....1983 in the Doak. Shnelly brought his #6 ranked Canes into Tallahassee vs an unranked FSU squad. Noles nearly pulled off the upset, but in the final 2 minutes. Kosar marched the offense straight down the field in my direction. Davis kicked the game winner in the final seconds and the ball nearly landed in my lap as time expired. Final score 17-16 good guys.

Our boys would go on to beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl that season for our first Natty. I was hooked.
1983 Orange Bowl the Canes played Purdue a friend of the family was on Purdue’s team. The Canes put a 35-0 *** whipping on them. I believe Rod Woodson and Kevin Sumlin were on that Purdue team.

My first game was the Connor Barth FG game at UNC in 2004. I was in the UNC student section. Wasn’t a student but a friend who was got me an ID so I could watch the game for free. My late dad and little sister were in the stands across the field. I never saw them, couldn’t get over there. It was awful.

Went the the LSU peach bowl game that year too. Pure misery, except I did get to ride and sit with my dad and two other friends, who were brothers. There was a drunk Miami fan on the tram after the game who was singing the Auburn fight song, got the whole car to join in. Best part of the night. One year later my dad was dead and one of the brothers was in prison for manslaughter. They’re all still Canes though.

We didn’t win a single game I attended until App State a season ago. That was a lot of fun, seeing the crowd go explode when that safety lit Walton up, then go quiet as a used firework when he kept running. Any hope they had was a lie after that. Saw the Russel Wilson game at NC State, with the brother who didn’t go to jail. This time he was drunk, and I thought for sure we were going to die on their concrete bleachers as he picked multiple fights with the Wolfpack. He is large. I am not.

As you might have guessed, I can travel to ACC country easier than home games, though some day I hope to make one.

Advertisement
I used to know a lot of Southwest High players from early '60's thru a friend there.

Soldinger played there in early '60's. As I understand the history, they opened Coral Park in the he mud-60's and a lot of the talent moved from SW to CP.

It was Cristiani. Search YT for a video on his induction into UM HOF, I think. Came from a famous circus family.

He was a fierce little stud. Little guy was very hard to block.

Want to see some little studs, look for thread here on '79 UM-PSU game. Starting center was 230 lb Don Bailey. Even smaller was a fierce little OG named Art Kehoe who was about 225.:watch them against some of the big DLs from PSU.

Outstanding Go Eagles 😀

Yes we were moving down from VA and went to the game with family that were tech fans. I was 8 years old and i remember game being after new years.
Nice. That's a great first game. I was born and raised on Miami Beach but lived in VA for years. I live in Maryland now. I had to get a shîtload of snow off my car this morning. No one should miss this or the driving in the snow aspect of living up north.

Now that we've spent that last few weeks cringing about what will be in the present, take a moment to reminisce about the past -- something we as Canes fans have grown quite fond of doing over the last decade and a half.

When and where was the first UM game you attended?

I'll kick it off....1983 in the Doak. Shnelly brought his #6 ranked Canes into Tallahassee vs an unranked FSU squad. Noles nearly pulled off the upset, but in the final 2 minutes. Kosar marched the offense straight down the field in my direction. Davis kicked the game winner in the final seconds and the ball nearly landed in my lap as time expired. Final score 17-16 good guys.

Our boys would go on to beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl that season for our first Natty. I was hooked.

1996 Orange Bowl Florida State Game. Drenched. Lost. Sucked. Thanks, Butch.

Advertisement
October 15, 2005 at the Linc in Philly.

Miami 34

Temple 3

Sinorice Moss went 90+ on our first drive & D Hester housed a 48 yard punt return.

Great memories, I was 10 & it was my first game with my old man who was a former Cane.

RIP Pops..

My first game was also in 2005. It was the Miami vs. Clemson game in Death Valley(Clemson). Had to look up score:

Miami: 36

Clemson: 30

The game went to 3 OTs and after we scored a TD(and missed the two point) in third overtime Kenny Phillips picked off Charlie whitehurst to end the game. I remember my friends who were Clemson fans told me that whitehurst hadn’t thrown an interception coming into that game and we were halfway through the season. I talked **** to my buddy and his parents the whole 3 hour ride back to Charleston SC about that interception. My Clemson friends to this day still say that game broke some sort of sound record for a sporting event and the stadium was rocking.

Our QB was Kyle Wright and I remember Tyrone Moss had a huge game. Ryan Moore and sinorice Moss had some big plays but I won’t remember anything more then the runs Devin Hester made. I know there was a penalty on the big run that brought it back but he was untouchable and how he made something out of nothing was unreal to see from the stands. Here are the highlights:

2011 when we demolished Ohio State 24-6. Remember that we kept their QB's incredibly in check and Lamar Miller went off.

I was hooked

I really can't remember my first Canes football game. I was born in 1968 in N. Miami. I was lucky enough that my dad was a big Canes and Dolphins fan so he started taking me to games in the late 70's. My earliest Canes memory is actually a baseball one. Walking into Mark Light in time to see Clemson's catcher #5 hit one that was still going up when it went over the left field lights. I can't remember if we were late or if it was a regional and they were playing someone else. Thanks for reminding me that I'm old and can't remember ****.

Advertisement
WOW , let me think, the only way I can do this is a player I remember watching Johnny Williams RB for Canes he also played high school ball at Southwest St high while I was finishing jr high at Glades .

Help an old man out here MDP what year was Johnny Williams star ZRB at the U 🙄🙄🙄🙄

GOCANES

Wow going way back. I was a sophomore at SWHS when Johnny Williams was our SR RB. Not the biggest guy but ran low to the ground, downhill and tough as nails

October 14, 1966. Canes vs Georgia. UGA came in ranked as NO.1. My dad was a UGA grad so that is the game he decided to take me to as my very first CFB game ever. He obviously had no idea he was about to create my first and lifelong passion for the Canes.
BTW. UM 7 . UGA 6. GO CANES

Advertisement
Back