Young linebackers

Advertisement
Good luck trying to make a roster. If true, these kids will never learn.
It’s not just about getting picked , it’s about staying in the league for a while and you get less chances from an organization if you aren’t a top 3 round pick or so vs a 5-7 round pick. I can Understand the reason though considering that they say 2 guys from their recruiting class well on their way to the league careers cut short just like that because of one play

I think its time to contextualize the linebackers.

None of the current starters are First Team All-Conference caliber players. They just aren't.
They all have their own set of individual weaknesses but also have areas they win in.
They've all had more individually bad games in their careers than good games, but a lot of very average games for the most part.
Except McCloud, McCloud kind of stinks.
The fact that none of the backups get a lot of burn ahead of these guys is worrisome. I don't see any linebackers right now being impact players before they graduate.
This year's linebacker class (Solomon, Huff in particular) is extremely important in an era of Canes football where our iDL depth lacks. More pressure on the LBs to really be two way players.

Outside of iDL, QB and OL, LB recruiting and evaluations has been the most worrisome.
Shaq has 1st team type numbers. 70 tackles 12.5 tfls 5.5 sacks 1pick.

It’s not just about getting picked , it’s about staying in the league for a while and you get less chances from an organization if you aren’t a top 3 round pick or so vs a 5-7 round pick. I can Understand the reason though considering that they say 2 guys from their recruiting class well on their way to the league careers cut short just like that because of one play
Both of them will struggle to stay on rosters let alone make them.

I would like to see Steed more.
Steed missed a TFL last game..still not full go from that knee. I don’t even remember him being on ST. Maybe I’m mistaken there...but as far as 55 & 56 both should come back unless they get a 1st day grade..Shaq has made some stride in coverage this year I’ll give him that. But I still think he and pink could use another year. I’ll also this, if for some reason both decide to leave I wouldn’t be surprised if 53 had a breakout year..he plays a position that is tough to get love from in today’s CFB. I think if they leave you’d see McCloud slide inside

Advertisement
Strong start to the season but has leveled off a little bit. Silvera and jon ford will step up
Had a strong complete year. Dude had 10 tfls in 4 games. Of course you cant expect those type of crazy numbers to continue.

lol. He's been the best DT in the nation and easily the best we've had in well over a decade. Ford and Nesta havent done anything yet..
He’s been a top 2 dt in the country with quinnen Williams from bama being the other.
People said willis wasn’t nothing or was skeptical before the season and then he exploded onto the scene, it happens. And as I said before this year with the type of defense we play the production is still going to be had one way or another based on the style alone. Silvera was the #2 dt in the country, in the time he’s played he has flashed and will take an even greater step next year

No one on this team should leave early, even JJack. Willis should be proof that staying the extra year provides significant benefit. NFL doesn't have patience to wait for you to develop.

Chad Thomas, Denzyl Perryman, Michael Jackson, Jaquan Johnson,compare that to Kendrick, I think they should both stay as should Joe Jackson. JMO

Advertisement
No one on this team should leave early, even JJack. Willis should be proof that staying the extra year provides significant benefit. NFL doesn't have patience to wait for you to develop.
Yes but the tradegy of Melvin Bratton lingers. Injured in his last game of his senior year and never was the same. If you are round one or two you go. If not you stay. Don’t think Pink or quarterman are Rd one or two. JJackson might be.

Advertisement
I’m not crazy about the 3 backers coming in. They all need to gain weight. Huff looks like he could be really good as a blitzing backer.

Advertisement
If the lbs move on I'm sure there are quality lbs to fill in.defense isn't this teams Achilles heel.

Joe just needs professional coaching imo. Think he'll produce right away in the NFL.

How long was Kuligowski coaching DLine again? Didn't Jess just come from the NFL (albeit, an assistant, but that means he knows the drills and procedures).

Advertisement
Back