Young linebackers

Advertisement
We had three true freshman start in 2016. But physically the three guys we are bringing in will need the weight room

Diaz has done nothing to prove to me that he can develop our linebackers, so I’m for sure worried about our future at that position. I know we have good 2019 talent coming in, although I doubt they’ll be ready right away. We’ve heard good things about Steed over the past couple of years. I fully expect Pinckney to declare. If Shaq stays, we only need to fill one position.

Not worried:

Pinckney has "off the field issues"
Quarterman isn't an idiot, loves it here, and knows he'd benefit greatly from one more year.
Finley has some decent tape but his numbers aren't great.
McCloud has been solid n 2018.
Steed, Jennings, Wilder all entering year 3 in 2019.

Not worried:

Pinckney has "off the field issues"
Quarterman isn't an idiot, loves it here, and knows he'd benefit greatly from one more year.
Finley has some decent tape but his numbers aren't great.
McCloud has been solid n 2018.
Steed, Jennings, Wilder all entering year 3 in 2019.

tFdO5ET.gif

Advertisement
I think its time to contextualize the linebackers.

None of the current starters are First Team All-Conference caliber players. They just aren't.
They all have their own set of individual weaknesses but also have areas they win in.
They've all had more individually bad games in their careers than good games, but a lot of very average games for the most part.
Except McCloud, McCloud kind of stinks.
The fact that none of the backups get a lot of burn ahead of these guys is worrisome. I don't see any linebackers right now being impact players before they graduate.
This year's linebacker class (Solomon, Huff in particular) is extremely important in an era of Canes football where our iDL depth lacks. More pressure on the LBs to really be two way players.

Outside of iDL, QB and OL, LB recruiting and evaluations has been the most worrisome.

No one on this team should leave early, even JJack. Willis should be proof that staying the extra year provides significant benefit. NFL doesn't have patience to wait for you to develop.
Been saying all year jjax shouldn’t declare, especially with this dline class ... dude can easily be a first round pick next year

Advertisement
I think its time to contextualize the linebackers.

None of the current starters are First Team All-Conference caliber players. They just aren't.
They all have their own set of individual weaknesses but also have areas they win in.
They've all had more individually bad games in their careers than good games, but a lot of very average games for the most part.
Except McCloud, McCloud kind of stinks.
The fact that none of the backups get a lot of burn ahead of these guys is worrisome. I don't see any linebackers right now being impact players before they graduate.
This year's linebacker class (Solomon, Huff in particular) is extremely important in an era of Canes football where our iDL depth lacks. More pressure on the LBs to really be two way players.

Outside of iDL, QB and OL, LB recruiting and evaluations has been the most worrisome.

Our incoming LB class has 3 bonafide studs. Brooks and Huff could be program changing OLBs if they are developed right.

I am not ready to just downplay our LB play on a defense that is top 5 in the country in almost every category. They played a big part in that even though they didn't live up to the hype. A lot of fans are down on them because WE put that "Bermuda Triangle 2.0" hype of them and it was too early.

That said, Shaq and Pinck hopefully listen to their mentors (former Cane alumni at LB), coaches and NFL evaluations as I know they are telling them they are not ready to bolt yet and not their friends, family or agent flunkies who will convince them they are 110% ready.

Shaq probably a solid 4th
Pinkney same

If they go along w #99 and #9 I wish them the best of luck.

Advertisement
God I love this board. Worried about Shaq leaving after talking major **** on him all year while he is actually having his best season. Too good!

As of a few weeks ago (TIFWIW), Joe Jack and Pinckney were planning on leaving early. Shaq was leaning on coming back. Things can and will likely change.
I’ve heard from multiple family members of players at the game that 56 is gone and he doesn’t care what round he goes in.

Advertisement
I'm not going to get into a discussion about whether they should/should not leave. We all know they shouldn't. That said, they gone because that's what juniors do at the U.

Maybe the new guys will actually not take bad angles, fill the gaps, and not just make a play now and then. If they leave see ya....ask mcintosh and norton how thats working out for them

Advertisement
Back