You know Miami is getting back...

Advertisement
One other random item of note:

I felt a little bit bad for Bradley Jennings jr. The kid got on the field, got a turnover chain then stood on the benches to pump up the crowd..... and the stadium had already emptied out. There was no one left at the game. lol

I felt bad so I gave him a standing O..... Me and like 300 other people still left in the stands on the home side of the field.

One other random item of note:

I felt a little bit bad for Bradley Jennings jr. The kid got on the field, got a turnover chain then stood on the benches to pump up the crowd..... and the stadium had already emptied out. There was no one left at the game. lol

I felt bad so I gave him a standing O..... Me and like 300 other people still left in the stands on the home side of the field.
Those still there on the home side were loud for it.

My thoughts on the game:

-NKosi Perry looked very good in the first half. The second half...he started showing some signs of being a kid. Nothing to be alarmed by, but definitely some "he's not a finished product" moments. He missed numerous wide open flares to the back when the rest of receivers were covered. When protection broke down he'd get sacked or would scramble for a small gain. He also threw a late pass to Mike Harley Jr. that was his only pick in the game. Harley was open for several Mississippis before he crossed and Perry threw it late. Again, nothing crazy, but he still has some development. Otherwise, I love the touch he throws. He's just a far superior passer to Rosier.

-RUN.THE.BALL. Shoutout to Coach Richt for reading CanesInsight and taking the advise I've been pounding the table for, for years. VOLUME RUNNING. 34 rushes is on par for Richt, but 34:12 run:pass ratio is *chefs kiss* ... OL is starting to come around, too. Big test with FSU coming up.

-Mike Smith - in limited snaps last year - graded out ahead of Shaq according to PFF. I am not saying he's better...as Shaq was playing great football versus UNC before he was hurt, especially when he was coming downhill with authority...but Mike Smith is plenty capable and this isn't his first rodeo. He's been fine in a reserve role for over a year now.

-DB play on the long runs remains a bit sloppy.

-Loved the vibe last night at the stadium. Place got loud. Was a great night game with the turnover chain, etc. Great primetime television for Hurricane fans.

Thought spicer did a good job punting. UNC was close to blocking a punt, not sure what is up with the punt protection but the opposing team has been close to blocking a punt in previous games.

Advertisement
Those still there on the home side were loud for it.

Yes, I was among those who got loud and gave him a standing O for his effort.

It was kinda funny-sad though. There were less than 2K people on the Canes side of the stadium at that point.

Yes, I was among those who got loud and gave him a standing O for his effort.

It was kinda funny-sad though. There were less than 2K people on the Canes side of the stadium at that point.
Considering it was such an ***-taking, people stayed a long time. But at 47-10, the place cleared out.

Choc is doing a great job but lol come on D$ stop pushing the whole scouts are looking at him as a late rounder stuff.

Advertisement
Bandy and Deejay are 1 and 2 for me right now. Trajan pressed the f*ck out of that receiver, shed the block, and made a picture-perfect tackle. That's the type of physicality we need throughout the defense.

Bandy stole our hearts with that pick in the ND game. As soon as he hit the field you knew he was going to be a great one.

DeeJay and Homer run tougher than any back we have had since Damien Berry. DeeJay obviously looks more the part, and he could legitimately weigh 225 by the time it is all said and done and be a Beast Mode type.

We know Miami is back when we impose our will on teams towards the end of a game. IIRC we haven't ran the ball down a team's throat in a game that has mattered in a long time. That drive in the 4th quarter was a thing of beauty. I loved all the defensive touchdowns but my favorite part of the game last night was watching that long clock killing drive powered by the run game.

Advertisement
Glad to see Lil Romeo show out. He was a very highly rated recruit, I think he picked us over Clemson.

It’s nice to see the young guys earning PT and making the most of their chance compared to the likes of Robert Knowles

...when the team is scoring non-offensive TDs. This was a feel-good win, as you can tell by the smirk on Richt's face when he shook Fedora's hand.

- UNC's offense was living in fear of Gerald Willis, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin. Those three are game-wreckers and give us a chance in any game we play.

- N'Kosi Perry only had 12 attempts but showed a lot of accuracy and poise. Of his four incompletions, two were drops, one bounced off a receiver's chest and the other was a miscommunication. I am pleasantly surprised by his consistency and mature approach. The TD pass to Langham was as good as it gets.

- Third game in a row we rush for over 200 yards. It helps to have two big-time backs with Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer.

- We miss Jaquan Johnson. A lot of those 20-yard gains are 9-yard gains with Quan on the field. Knowles gets a lot of (deserved) heat, but I thought he played better than Amari Carter today.

- The sample size is getting bigger, and we are still maintaining a top position in third down defense. UNC was 2-13. In 2017, Manny emphasized turnovers. The results were immediate. In 2018, Manny emphasized third-down defense. The year is young, but so far so good on that front.

- Hope Shaq and Mike Smith are OK. Both looked outstanding.

- Romeo Finley is quietly becoming a baller. He is tough, he has excellent straight-line speed and he has improved his coverage ability. The striker position was a God-send for him.

- Choc Gray is really finding his niche in short-yardage back. It reminds me of when Damien Berry emerged towards the end of the Shannon era. Gray is generating some legit buzz in the scouting community as a late-round pick/FA.

- Trajan Bandy and Travis Homer play the game the way it was meant to be played. Absolutely love their physicality and effort.

All in all, this was a 47-10 over a North Carolina team that gave us fits in the Shannon/Golden eras. It is so refreshing to expect to win these games.

Agreed on all points, D. Only aspect of our game that i was not happy about was the gashing runs we gave up early on. To your point, JJ is missed tremendously. He is our QB of the secondary and his absence is obvious.

Love that the Defense is back to putting points on the board. That was something we could always count on back in the day.

Now, let's destroy FSU please!!

Richt is gonna get Perry killed with these 5-man protection 4-verts concepts. It's not Perry's nature to instantly feel the rush and quickly check down to the back on a swing route. Some of these plays have absolutely no chance of success. The sack-fumble was the perfect example.

Static is dead and until Richt figures this out it's gonna put an artificial ceiling on the offense. We've seen Richt adjust to personnel such as the simplified 1-read concepts he gave Perry last night. The next step is to adjust to the trends happening outside the building. Football is in a passing game renaissance right now and we're still stuck in the stone age smh!

Advertisement
Richt is gonna get Perry killed with these 5-man protection 4-verts concepts. It's not Perry's nature to instantly feel the rush and quickly check down to the back on a swing route. Some of these plays have absolutely no chance of success. The sack-fumble was the perfect example.

Static is dead and until Richt figures this out it's gonna put an artificial ceiling on the offense. We've seen Richt adjust to personnel such as the simplified 1-read concepts he gave Perry last night. The next step is to adjust to the trends happening outside the building. Football is in a passing game renaissance right now and we're still stuck in the stone age smh!

It will be unpopular but Good post. We will be fine vs most of the schedule because we can out athlete the opposition. But if the goal is make the playoff and win, then there is a lot to be desired.

Thomas needs to touch the ball 6-8 times a games in various ways.

Retweet this to Richt

Deadly accurate.

Advertisement
Back