You know Miami is getting back...

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
...when the team is scoring non-offensive TDs. This was a feel-good win, as you can tell by the smirk on Richt's face when he shook Fedora's hand.

- UNC's offense was living in fear of Gerald Willis, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin. Those three are game-wreckers and give us a chance in any game we play.

- N'Kosi Perry only had 12 attempts but showed a lot of accuracy and poise. Of his four incompletions, two were drops, one bounced off a receiver's chest and the other was a miscommunication. I am pleasantly surprised by his consistency and mature approach. The TD pass to Langham was as good as it gets.

- Third game in a row we rush for over 200 yards. It helps to have two big-time backs with Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer.

- We miss Jaquan Johnson. A lot of those 20-yard gains are 9-yard gains with Quan on the field. Knowles gets a lot of (deserved) heat, but I thought he played better than Amari Carter today.

- The sample size is getting bigger, and we are still maintaining a top position in third down defense. UNC was 2-13. In 2017, Manny emphasized turnovers. The results were immediate. In 2018, Manny emphasized third-down defense. The year is young, but so far so good on that front.

- Hope Shaq and Mike Smith are OK. Both looked outstanding.

- Romeo Finley is quietly becoming a baller. He is tough, he has excellent straight-line speed and he has improved his coverage ability. The striker position was a God-send for him.

- Choc Gray is really finding his niche in short-yardage back. It reminds me of when Damien Berry emerged towards the end of the Shannon era. Gray is generating some legit buzz in the scouting community as a late-round pick/FA.

- Trajan Bandy and Travis Homer play the game the way it was meant to be played. Absolutely love their physicality and effort.

All in all, this was a 47-10 over a North Carolina team that gave us fits in the Shannon/Golden eras. It is so refreshing to expect to win these games.

Advertisement
"- Romeo Finley is quietly becoming a baller. He is tough, he has excellent straight-line speed and he has improved his coverage ability. The striker position was a God-send for him "

Finley was a 22.75--200m man in limited track meets he ran in HS at 195-200 pounds he is show here bench presses in 335 as a high school senior. After 2 years in our S&C he is 215 lbs. or better and on can imagine what his strength numbers are.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree on all points, D. One of the things that I was most impressed by tonight was Romeo Finley’s speed. I had no idea that he was that fast. Kid looked like a legit sprinter on his interception return.

Overall I think that we handled our business tonight. Run defense (especially against running QB’s must improve), but overall, they balled out.

The O-Line is still the weak link of our team, as well as special teams. If we can greatly improve in these two areas as the season goes along, then watch out.

Advertisement
I agree with everything you said but I'll add two more things.
1. We miss entirely too many tackles. Their running backs were gashing us due to us arm tackling and leading with shoulders instead of form tackling.
2. The offensive line is still a work in progress. I think 78 needs to go back to RT and 55 back to RG. Lets let 51 man the LT position. Baptism by fire approach with him.

I agree with everything you said but I'll add two more things.
1. We miss entirely too many tackles. Their running backs were gashing us due to us arm tackling and leading with shoulders instead of form tackling.
2. The offensive line is still a work in progress. I think 78 needs to go back to RT and 55 back to RG. Lets let 51 man the LT position. Baptism by fire approach with him.
Tackle misses were a problem.

Advertisement
Towards the end there were 2 plays in a row where Bandy murdered someone. Fun as **** to watch.
That was fun to watch. Right after the coaches called him off. I think they were worried he was gonna get a penalty because he was talking so much **** and he was so hyped. He didn’t want to come off.

Advertisement
I also like the way in one play on a decent run by the NC QB the guard pancaked Willis. Shortly there after Willis after being kind of humiliated came back with two devastating plays, one leading to a fumble recovery and 6.
Most definitely! On those two consecutive plays, Willis reminded me of Forrest Whittaker in Fast Times at Ridgemont High! "Jefferson with the tackle! Jefferson with another tackle! Jefferson! Jefferson! Jefferson! Jefferson!"

Bandy and Deejay are 1 and 2 for me right now. Trajan pressed the f*ck out of that receiver, shed the block, and made a picture-perfect tackle. That's the type of physicality we need throughout the defense.

...when the team is scoring non-offensive TDs. This was a feel-good win, as you can tell by the smirk on Richt's face when he shook Fedora's hand.

- UNC's offense was living in fear of Gerald Willis, Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin. Those three are game-wreckers and give us a chance in any game we play.

- N'Kosi Perry only had 12 attempts but showed a lot of accuracy and poise. Of his four incompletions, two were drops, one bounced off a receiver's chest and the other was a miscommunication. I am pleasantly surprised by his consistency and mature approach. The TD pass to Langham was as good as it gets.

- Third game in a row we rush for over 200 yards. It helps to have two big-time backs with Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer.

- We miss Jaquan Johnson. A lot of those 20-yard gains are 9-yard gains with Quan on the field. Knowles gets a lot of (deserved) heat, but I thought he played better than Amari Carter today.

- The sample size is getting bigger, and we are still maintaining a top position in third down defense. UNC was 2-13. In 2017, Manny emphasized turnovers. The results were immediate. In 2018, Manny emphasized third-down defense. The year is young, but so far so good on that front.

- Hope Shaq and Mike Smith are OK. Both looked outstanding.

- Romeo Finley is quietly becoming a baller. He is tough, he has excellent straight-line speed and he has improved his coverage ability. The striker position was a God-send for him.

- Choc Gray is really finding his niche in short-yardage back. It reminds me of when Damien Berry emerged towards the end of the Shannon era. Gray is generating some legit buzz in the scouting community as a late-round pick/FA.

- Trajan Bandy and Travis Homer play the game it was meant to be played. Absolutely love their physicality and effort.

All in all, this was a 47-10 over a North Carolina team that gave us fits in the Shannon/Golden eras. It is so refreshing to expect to win these games.
Great point about non offensive TDs but I will add that we will truly be back when those non offensive TDs include Special Teams touchdowns. With a guy like Jeff Thomas as the primary punt returner that will come very soon.

I share your excitement and enthusiasm about Finley. He has really come a long way and its great to see him starting to develop. That move to Striker has made a world of difference in his development.

* That's a much weaker North Carolina team than the ones that gave us fits during the Golden era. It should be impossible to lose to East Carolina by 22 points while allowing more than 500 yards.

* Their quarterback was like a poor man's Rosier: scrappy runner but dependable for the big inexplicable error

* Perry's wonderfully relaxed style with great touch makes every possession interesting. The touchdown pass to Langham was like a walk through pitch and catch, and the defender scolded for audacity to believe he had any chance.

* First time in many years we had a run/pass ratio like that

* I greatly prefer Thursday night games on the road, primarily because I normally attend them, including the one at North Carolina in 2013

Advertisement
Back