You can't neglect hs recruiting

Lol I've seen it all. Respected posters nut hugging Norvell. For us being so bad at calling out future failures we sure as **** nailed the gator class falling apart and wouldnt you know it who else is behind us now FSU. I swear half of you would sell your soul for one good season (TCU, FSU)and have nothing left than to build something sustainable. The whole point of the OP is that model is not sustainable period end of story. Look at the best teams thelat are there year after year. The ratio of portal to non portal looks a lot different than FSU. It is FA in the NFL. Just because there are more bodies doesn't mean there are more good ones. NFL has a much smaller roster and less teams.
We been garbage for so long, I wouldn't mind one undefeated season. It would do wonders for us. A FSU undefeated season is not the same as a UM undefeated season.

Advertisement
We been garbage for so long, I wouldn't mind one undefeated season. It would do wonders for us. A FSU undefeated season is not the same as a UM undefeated season.
You wouldn't prefer it over winning consistently. 2017 was awesome but guess what it was 7 years ago already and what did FSUs undefeated season yield them? Nothing. They don't have a QB just like us and they lost their 5 stars on signing day.

I HATE FSU (although I hate UF slightly more), & frankly I’m tired of talking about them when WE’RE down right now. Hence, I’m focused on us being the best team, idgaf about the North.

And yes, SC v UL is very entertaining

I love hating on FSU and UF. All day, every day.

I’ll keep throwing stones 24/7. Doesn’t matter what we do, that doesn’t change for me.

I’m not about playing the Mr. Peanut tuxedo fairness game.

IMG_3995.jpeg

It’s the equivalent of everyone on an NFL roster having career years and their contracts are up lol.
Worse because if a guy has a crap year and you want to lower his NIL he’ll leave as well.

Your delusional because your thinking we have a better trajectory than them lol

They are currently undefeated ...will likely lose to uga but we are playing rutgers. I dont know what direction that you think is so good that we are headed at the end of the szn but we dont have a qb or a back up qb that is power 5 level.
We will need 4 clases of top 10 talent to make up for our coaching deficit. I hate fsu but they aint gonna need that witht he system they run on offense. Being in florida they are bound to just hit on skill position guys regardless.

Thinking they will be a complete flop is wishful thinking in my opinion.
Both sides are overstating things. FSU should be a 7-10 win program consistently under Norvell with how they recruit. Years where they hit big in portal they will lean higher side, years where they don't will lean lower. We can lament over Mario's faults, and there are several, and be upset how the season played out (this was a team good enough to win 10 easily), but certain fans are blinded in anger / jadedness over our program to acknowledge that FSU was a fringe top 10 team this season. Couple factors:

1. Early adoption of portal got talented transfers into the program to cover recruiting holes, and sustained recruiting challenges influenced their collective to spend big on retaining said players. This attracted other one and done kids who saw an easy route to winning (for example: Coleman, Fiske). Portal is way more popular now amongst equally competitive programs (Ole Miss, Oregon, USC, etc.) More and more teams are accepting of ripping players from it than 2022 when Norvell built the core of this roster. I expect them to continue to do well here, but to the same degree? Top talent has so far gone elsewhere this year. 4 years in for Norvell and his best class is fringe top 10, and for the 3rd straight signing day lost all of his elite players down the wire.

2. 6th year quarterback who, because of COVID, was allowed to return for a 4th season in the same system. Travis masked a pedestrian passing attack and created so many broken play opportunities for a passing game people here would bang their heads over if schemed with our personnel. The second he went down, things fell apart fast offensively. To date, Norvell and Atkins still have not developed a good offensive line. Travis got sacked 14 times all season in 10 games. Rodemaker and Glenn ate 9 in 3 games. Lincoln Riley does not seem to be struggling with a backup QB right now. Heupel somehow made Hendon Hooker and Joe Milton work. I don't see the same here

3. Their schedule was weak, though wouldn't expect much to change unless ACC is broken up moving forward. What will change and what is hidden within their schedule is the luck they had in facing opposing teams backup QBs. FSU played the following teams backup QBs: BC, VT, Duke (Riley Leonard went down 2 weeks before to ND when people thought his season was over, came back and played 2.5 immoble quarters and exited with the lead in the 3rd and Duke didn't score again), Pitt, Miami and UF. Beyond the QB position, FSU stayed remarkably healthy this year for a team that was (as you are seeing right now), very good in their top 22, fairly weak below it. Benson, Toafili, Bethune, Coleman (12), DeLoach (12), Fiske (12), Verse (12), etc. missed no time or 1 game. How would Miami have looked if LT, KK, pick a RB, Arroyo, Mesidor, Kelly, Porter, Van Dyke stayed healthy all year. Eventually it catches up.

4. Tons of close games have seemed to go their way the last 2 seasons. Credit to them for winning as you are your record, but the line is very thin in the ACC as we know. Miami was a few yards, some shoddy end of first half officiating and conservative playcalling with a lead from taking Lousiville to OT. UL won 10 games and took FSU to the wire, don't think this board (and rightfully so) thinks that highly of 2023 Lousiville.

Long post but the people expecting them to go 5-7 will likely be disappointed, but also the slobbing over their recent run is a bit ridiculous. Perfect storm for them

Advertisement
We need a perfect storm too then. That with anything, when FSU had Cook and Winston it was a perfect storm as well.

I read the article on the fsu site and while the committee's decision is questionable the bigger issue for florida state is their roster was either bought or a super senior... they haven't really developed much talent and have nobody in the wings waiting as guys opt out ... their demise isn't so much getting left out the playoffs but more lack of building a culture through hs recruiting. they gambled on having a good season with a super senior and portal laden team with the hopes that it would catapult their program ... now they're staring at getting their *** kicked by 4 td's on national tv and a downward spiral into the spring ... not even sure cam ward is the answer as they have so many holes and only so much money ... mario is a game day corch, but we can't deny how he's building the culture and program the right way
They will be severely exposed next year.

Advertisement
Not only did they get extremely lucky with their personnel but they played some really bad games this year and got away with it. They play this schedule 10 more times and they likely never go undefeated again. I mean, they could have been 8-4.

-Boston College gets a facemask penalty that ends the game after stopping them on 3rd down, down 2 with all the momentum in the world
-Clemson misses a 29 yard field goal to basically win the game
-They get Duke without a healthy Leonard and are losing until an unhealthy Leonard goes out
-Miami's QB goes mental and is forced to play a true freshman, still leading in the 3rd
-Losing to North Alabama deep into the 2nd quarter
-Two point game against a very bad Florida team deep into the 4th

I mean, half their season was turning to the FSU game going, "wtf is going on with FSU?". They had all the luck in the friggin world until water met its level and it all came crashing down on them. People say it reminds them of 2017 but we dominated Notre Dame and Va Tech deep into the season. They didn't do anything like that. Half the games they played were 1 score games in the 4th quarter and their SOS was bad.
In all honesty if Miami would’ve got out some those close game to go 10-2 I’d be happy

Yeah 3 years ago people on this site were saying the exact same thing- Norvell can't recruit and his team of mercenaries will be a huge flop, and he's going to get fired.

Is it is sustainable? Well it's obviously wasn't a one year aberration. As you said, they've won 19 straight. Won 10 last year and undefeated this year.

Different paths to success. Cristobal is going to try to do it through HS recruiting (TBD). Norvell already achieved extraordinary success with a team built largely on transfers. Next year FSU might have a down year while they reload, but I don't see any barrier that would prevent Norvell from having success again in 2-3 years with another crop of transfers.

If you recruit HS better you shouldn’t have 2-3 years between hitting on the portal for success. Not a model I’d like to see us use. Why sporadic success when you can build for sustained success?

Let me preface this by saying I think Norvell is a good coach and he has a good scheme but the portal is like FA in the nfl. You build through the draft / recruiting and fill holes with the portal / free agency. What they did the last couple years isn’t sustainabke and you’ll see why in 24 when they’re back winning 7-8 games. Respect to them for going all in this year and paying their 23 year olds to stay another year, but this was a freak occurrence. Mike went so heavy on the portal two years ago because he was hemorrhaging and the vultures were circling. He hit at an unreal rate too, which isn’t sustainable either. Then mix in a 6 year player at qb that turned into a stud out of nowhere. Good luck repeating all of that again.
Although not sustainable, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Colorado have a MUCH better year in 2024 and that success will give them the ability to recruit at a higher level. Thus building a sustainable program.

You wouldn't prefer it over winning consistently. 2017 was awesome but guess what it was 7 years ago already and what did FSUs undefeated season yield them? Nothing. They don't have a QB just like us and they lost their 5 stars on signing day.
Is it almost like choosing Larry Coker over Barry Alvarez and winning 1 title and then leading into a downward spiral of 20 years of despair .... glad we didn't listen to that idea to keep people happy...

Advertisement
Although not sustainable, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Colorado have a MUCH better year in 2024 and that success will give them the ability to recruit at a higher level. Thus building a sustainable program.
the gamble is you have to stay healthy ... fsu did the same and it almost worked, but when the qb went down the plan began to crumble ... the playoff committee just pushed it over the edge ... now they got portal entries and opt outs left and right and are looking at an huge loss on national tv ... imo thats the prime example of negative momentum heading into the second signing day and spring ball ...

Lol I've seen it all. Respected posters nut hugging Norvell. For us being so bad at calling out future failures we sure as **** nailed the gator class falling apart and wouldnt you know it who else is behind us now FSU. I swear half of you would sell your soul for one good season (TCU, FSU)and have nothing left than to build something sustainable. The whole point of the OP is that model is not sustainable period end of story. Look at the best teams thelat are there year after year. The ratio of portal to non portal looks a lot different than FSU. It is FA in the NFL. Just because there are more bodies doesn't mean there are more good ones. NFL has a much smaller roster and less teams.

Yup, I seem to recall a bunch of posters on here hailing Sonny Dykes as some sort of football God not too terribly long ago, how'd that end up? FSU sold their soul, and got squat out of it. How does Mike spin that to his next set up portal targets? I venture to say their portal signings this year tail way off, and with their lack of HS recruiting (this year wasn't horrible) I see quite a drop off next year.

Yup, I seem to recall a bunch of posters on here hailing Sonny Dykes as some sort of football God not too terribly long ago, how'd that end up? FSU sold their soul, and got squat out of it. How does Mike spin that to his next set up portal targets? I venture to say their portal signings this year tail way off, and with their lack of HS recruiting (this year wasn't horrible) I see quite a drop off next year.

I ******* hate FSU. And my expectation is they will not be able to fill all the holes on their roster with portal and HS adds (though that won't be certain until May).

But they have an undefeated regular season, an ACC championship banner, and came closer to a CFP birth than UM ever has utilizing this portal-first strategy. And were it not for an injury to their starting QB, they'd be in the CFP.

I think we all need to be a bit more open-minded to the very real possibility that the game has changed, and so what may have seemed unimaginably foolish a few years ago may be a viable strategy for success now.

Advertisement
I ******* hate FSU. And my expectation is they will not be able to fill all the holes on their roster with portal and HS adds (though that won't be certain until May).

But they have an undefeated regular season, an ACC championship banner, and came closer to a CFP birth than UM ever has utilizing this portal-first strategy. And were it not for an injury to their starting QB, they'd be in the CFP.

I think we all need to be a bit more open-minded to the very real possibility that the game has changed, and so what may have seemed unimaginably foolish a few years ago may be a viable strategy for success now.

I totally get what you are saying, but point me to one team since the portal has gone more crazy than before who sustained portal only. There aren't any. The reason the top teams are all the same are because they are built on recruiting, with the portal to fill 1-2 holes, not the entire team.

Let me preface this by saying I think Norvell is a good coach and he has a good scheme but the portal is like FA in the nfl. You build through the draft / recruiting and fill holes with the portal / free agency. What they did the last couple years isn’t sustainabke and you’ll see why in 24 when they’re back winning 7-8 games. Respect to them for going all in this year and paying their 23 year olds to stay another year, but this was a freak occurrence. Mike went so heavy on the portal two years ago because he was hemorrhaging and the vultures were circling. He hit at an unreal rate too, which isn’t sustainable either. Then mix in a 6 year player at qb that turned into a stud out of nowhere. Good luck repeating all of that again.
BOOOOM CRIBBY!!! 💥💥💥 💯💯💯

it's all good ... half of the dudes on this site were deion fans, i'm able to separate his playing days in the league from his college and now coaching days ...

Yet he's not. Dude still calling him self "prime" like he suiting up or something.

He big opp.

There was no better feeling as a HS player then seeing college scouts at practice watching you .
Then looking across the field at your next opponent sitting on fence and back of pick up trucks also watching you practice.

I’m not bragging it was just a time in my life that was the best days of my life , it was very fleeting till a year later playing Gables Thanksgiving day against an Allstate MLB and total ankle dislocation nerve damage washed everything thing away .
Spent all afternoon and evening at Baptist ER as my teammates James Boone and Tony Chickillo my fellow D brothers went on to star at Miami and both played (5) plus in the NFL as I never recovered.

Sorry just stuff that pops up every so often that’s stored up .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back