You can't neglect hs recruiting

I totally get what you are saying, but point me to one team since the portal has gone more crazy than before who sustained portal only. There aren't any. The reason the top teams are all the same are because they are built on recruiting, with the portal to fill 1-2 holes, not the entire team.

Firstly, let me say that I care less about what is sustainable every year. I want wins by whatever means necessary. And not "doing-it-the-right-way," watch what happens in Year 4+ wins. I want to win asap.

Beyond that, we all just witnessed our rival win 10 games and 13 games in back-to-back seasons. We haven't had back-to-back double-digit win seasons since 2002/2003. Twenty years.

But to answer your question more directly, I say give it time. We are still looking at a very small sample size. And it seems most people are ignoring the risk/reward on the other side of the equation. HS kids are getting paid big NIL, too, and when they perform well they may bolt for more $$$ (so you are paying regardless).

Obviously you need both, but hovering around 15th in HS recruiting while being top 2 in the portal is now a viable path to short-term success in college football. Long term, sustainable success? We'll see, but either way no future is promised in thus game (or in life). I'd rather win today.

Advertisement
Yeah 3 years ago people on this site were saying the exact same thing- Norvell can't recruit and his team of mercenaries will be a huge flop, and he's going to get fired.

Is it is sustainable? Well it's obviously wasn't a one year aberration. As you said, they've won 19 straight. Won 10 last year and undefeated this year.

Different paths to success. Cristobal is going to try to do it through HS recruiting (TBD). Norvell already achieved extraordinary success with a team built largely on transfers. Next year FSU might have a down year while they reload, but I don't see any barrier that would prevent Norvell from having success again in 2-3 years with another crop of transfers.
It comes down to his quarterback.

Not only did they get extremely lucky with their personnel but they played some really bad games this year and got away with it. They play this schedule 10 more times and they likely never go undefeated again. I mean, they could have been 8-4.

-Boston College gets a facemask penalty that ends the game after stopping them on 3rd down, down 2 with all the momentum in the world
-Clemson misses a 29 yard field goal to basically win the game
-They get Duke without a healthy Leonard and are losing until an unhealthy Leonard goes out
-Miami's QB goes mental and is forced to play a true freshman, still leading in the 3rd
-Losing to North Alabama deep into the 2nd quarter
-Two point game against a very bad Florida team deep into the 4th

I mean, half their season was turning to the FSU game going, "wtf is going on with FSU?". They had all the luck in the friggin world until water met its level and it all came crashing down on them. People say it reminds them of 2017 but we dominated Notre Dame and Va Tech deep into the season. They didn't do anything like that. Half the games they played were 1 score games in the 4th quarter and their SOS was bad.
Got lucky with a blown call for an obvious safety against MiIami.

Although not sustainable, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Colorado have a MUCH better year in 2024 and that success will give them the ability to recruit at a higher level. Thus building a sustainable program.
Most of the 2023 Colorado team are veterans, with the exception of the EIGHT true freshmen wide receivers that they have. How
Much more room to grow do these 4th and 5th year players have?

Advertisement
Firstly, let me say that I care less about what is sustainable every year. I want wins by whatever means necessary. And not "doing-it-the-right-way," watch what happens in Year 4+ wins. I want to win asap.

Beyond that, we all just witnessed our rival win 10 games and 13 games in back-to-back seasons. We haven't had back-to-back double-digit win seasons since 2002/2003. Twenty years.

But to answer your question more directly, I say give it time. We are still looking at a very small sample size. And it seems most people are ignoring the risk/reward on the other side of the equation. HS kids are getting paid big NIL, too, and when they perform well they may bolt for more $$$ (so you are paying regardless).

Obviously you need both, but hovering around 15th in HS recruiting while being top 2 in the portal is now a viable path to short-term success in college football. Long term, sustainable success? We'll see, but either way no future is promised in thus game (or in life). I'd rather win today.

Only one team has done that to great short term success, and as of now, that team is floundering in talent acquisition, it could change by the summer, or they may not be able to do enough.

We need a larger sample size.

As it stands now, the teams that win most consistently have been doing it with strong high school talent, while filling holes with the portal. Is the FSU method viable for long-term success, again we don’t have enough of a sample size.

I do think a successful portal strategy will be crucial in football success in the future. The question is, how much are you going to rely on the portal and how sustainable is that over the mid to long term.

Only one team has done that to great short term success, and as of now, that team is floundering in talent acquisition, it could change by the summer, or they may not be able to do enough.

We need a larger sample size.

As it stands now, the teams that win most consistently have been doing it with strong high school talent, while filling holes with the portal. Is the FSU method viable for long-term success, again we don’t have enough of a sample size.

I do think a successful portal strategy will be crucial in football success in the future. The question is, how much are you going to rely on the portal and how sustainable is that over the mid to long term.

I don't disagree with any of this. But I will point out two things: (1) short-term portal success may ultimately lead to wins and players drafted, providing a boost to HS recruiting (like we just saw with FSU); and (2) these HS kids are commanding NIL and still transferring after 1 or 2 seasons if they outperform their NIL (minimizing their value as compared to transfers). It's a brave new world in college football.

I don't disagree with any of this. But I will point out two things: (1) short-term portal success may ultimately lead to wins and players drafted, providing a boost to HS recruiting (like we just saw with FSU); and (2) these HS kids are commanding NIL and still transferring after 1 or 2 seasons if they outperform their NIL (minimizing their value as compared to transfers). It's a brave new world in college football.

As an addendum, look at Georgia. They had a bunch of exits in the last couple of months, but nobody’s worried about their future. Why? Their talent is so deep that 4-5 stars that don’t start, many may take a hike, but there’s still enough talent on the roster to make up for it.

In a perfect world that’s what I would like to see. You can’t avoid your players that aren’t getting enough burn portaling out, but your talent should be able to more than make up for that, with additional holes being filled by the portal here and there.

As an addendum, look at Georgia. They had a bunch of exits in the last couple of months, but nobody’s worried about their future. Why? Their talent is so deep that 4-5 stars that don’t start, many may take a hike, but there’s still enough talent on the roster to make up for it.

In a perfect world that’s what I would like to see. You can’t avoid your players that aren’t getting enough burn portaling out, but your talent should be able to more than make up for that, with additional holes being filled by the portal here and there.

They are out ahead of the curve. Multiple top 3 classes supplemented by P5-level portal additions. And they're about to gape the Noles. Only a handful of teams that can do it that way, though.

Advertisement
I lean to the side that you can use the portal each year to more than supplement a roster than can constantly compete for conference championships and more. There’s enough talent at almost every position to quickly build and maintain a winning roster, as a lot of these guys that enter have multiple years to play.

Advertisement
Is Ole Miss ever going to contend for anything?

They hadnt had back to back 10 win seasons since the leather helmet era. I think Kiffin has Ole Miss at their ceiling as a program, which is commendable. It's a consistent 9-10 win program now. Also, if we had a 12 team playoff this year, Ole Miss would be in it.

They hadnt had back to back 10 win seasons since the leather helmet era. I think Kiffin has Ole Miss at their ceiling as a program, which is commendable. It's a consistent 9-10 win program now. Also, if we had a 12 team playoff this year, Ole Miss would be in it.

I would take that here in a second

Advertisement
Is Ole Miss ever going to contend for anything?

They make the 12 team playoff this year. Next year that’s probably the goal, but who knows with adding Tex and Oklahoma.

Eventually I think the playoff is just going to end up conference winners+best G5 and then just B1G and SEC teams. So a 2nd place in the division probably gets them in.

You wouldn’t be ok with 10 win seasons and building on that?
I obviously have a differing opinion than you do, but with a 12 team playoff I would take 10 win seasons any day. I do think the way we are building we will get to that as well.

I obviously have a differing opinion than you do, but with a 12 team playoff I would take 10 win seasons any day. I do think the way we are building we will get to that as well.

I think we are close to the same page. It’s about the wins and getting to the playoffs… and I think rosters can be built more than one way…

Others seem dead set on it can only be done the way our current coach has done it in the past…. Yet is adapting to the portal himself…

Advertisement
Back