You can't neglect hs recruiting

Let me preface this by saying I think Norvell is a good coach and he has a good scheme but the portal is like FA in the nfl. You build through the draft / recruiting and fill holes with the portal / free agency. What they did the last couple years isn’t sustainabke and you’ll see why in 24 when they’re back winning 7-8 games. Respect to them for going all in this year and paying their 23 year olds to stay another year, but this was a freak occurrence. Mike went so heavy on the portal two years ago because he was hemorrhaging and the vultures were circling. He hit at an unreal rate too, which isn’t sustainable either. Then mix in a 6 year player at qb that turned into a stud out of nowhere. Good luck repeating all of that again.
I also respect what they did but also let's not make it seem like they were bama Georgia or Ohio State dominate. Chuck noll or Tom Landry said their philosophy is draft them coach them play them if all pans out keep them. Like cribby said the transfer portal is supplemental you build from hs recruit you can't keep flipping your roster from the portal and be successful look at what deion is doing they won't be successfully that way. You croot them coach them then play them. What Alabama and Georgia has done is what is done in the world of business. Walmart and Amazon as well as other elites stack the chips in their favor so that their is no real competition. The only competition is internally. When we were dominate we were our greatest competition. Iron sharpening iron. It's that simple if you ask me.

Advertisement
I think you hit the nail on the head. The secret sauce is to finish, bare minimum with a top 10 class and load up on as much high school talent as possible, then fill in the gaps where necessary with the portal. You got Deion with a class size of 5, when he leaves in the next 1-2 years that program is going to be an absolute disaster. I feel sorry for the next guy that takes over at Colorado.
If not for his son shadeur they might not have won a game last year in all honesty.

They just went undefeated. I could care less what Mario is supposedly building...they won 19 straight using their scheme it seems to have worked.

They have a top 10 recruiting class currently because of it.

The demise has been greatly over stated by us fans for 2 straight years. I mean a year a1/2 ago we had folks feeling "sorry"
for fsu and yall still are on that wave apparently lol

F’CK EM

and i'm a huge deion fan ... but if that boy come back it's for the wrong reasons imo, it's to help his dad build that program ... his accuracy and touch are NFL ready
download.jpeg-5.jpg

Advertisement
and i'm a huge deion fan ... but if that boy come back it's for the wrong reasons imo, it's to help his dad build that program ... his accuracy and touch are NFL ready
Deion was a helluva player wish he would've been a cane would have fit in perfectly with those late 80s teams. But he is a nole our in state rival by default he will forever be my enemy.

it's all good ... half of the dudes on this site were deion fans, i'm able to separate his playing days in the league from his college and now coaching days ...
Way to nuanced for CIS. Shooter stand by...

They just went undefeated. I could care less what Mario is supposedly building...they won 19 straight using their scheme it seems to have worked.

They have a top 10 recruiting class currently because of it.

The demise has been greatly over stated by us fans for 2 straight years. I mean a year a1/2 ago we had folks feeling "sorry"
for fsu and yall still are on that wave apparently lol
We tend to do that around here.... Saban is slipping... Georgia is broken.... FSU will only win 4 games in 2022... their plan to portal to build and then improve HS recruiting won't work ...

Advertisement
Not only did they get extremely lucky with their personnel but they played some really bad games this year and got away with it. They play this schedule 10 more times and they likely never go undefeated again. I mean, they could have been 8-4.

-Boston College gets a facemask penalty that ends the game after stopping them on 3rd down, down 2 with all the momentum in the world
-Clemson misses a 29 yard field goal to basically win the game
-They get Duke without a healthy Leonard and are losing until an unhealthy Leonard goes out
-Miami's QB goes mental and is forced to play a true freshman, still leading in the 3rd
-Losing to North Alabama deep into the 2nd quarter
-Two point game against a very bad Florida team deep into the 4th

I mean, half their season was turning to the FSU game going, "wtf is going on with FSU?". They had all the luck in the friggin world until water met its level and it all came crashing down on them. People say it reminds them of 2017 but we dominated Notre Dame and Va Tech deep into the season. They didn't do anything like that. Half the games they played were 1 score games in the 4th quarter and their SOS was bad.

We tend to do that around here.... Saban is slipping... Georgia is broken.... FSU will only win 4 games in 2022... their plan to portal to build and then improve HS recruiting won't work ...
let me add some context, all their misfortune lines up with our improvement and back to back top ten recruiting classes ... i can't speak on georgia and bama, they're in another stratosphere ... but its a process, winning the acc has been the goal for **** near 20 years

Norvell is a really, REALLY good coach, & myself & @Memnon vouched for him coming here. Maybe he’s not the best recruiter, maybe FSU is broke af, but what I do know is that he’s now on a 3 game win streak against us w/ FSU’s recruiting classes ranking:

2020 - 21st
2021 - 21st
2022 - 19th
2023 - 16th

While our classes during this same period ranked

2020 - 11th
2021 - 11th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 8th

So maybe he’s a Mike Gundy type, doesn’t recruit the big names, but his system fits the guys he has to make life miserable. I dunno, but what I do know is he was highly successful at Memphis. What I also know is I’m tired of trying to compare what FSU did this year, b/c I guarantee every single fan on this site would be slapping everyone w/ their balls or **** bragging about us going undefeated, no matter how ugly or lopsided games were.

I’m going to say it again, success doesn’t happen in the off season, it only happens between the lines on Saturday. Right now, Norvell is showing success; it may come crashing down next season. Personally, idgaf; I don’t have an inferiority complex; all I care about is this pivotal 3rd year for Mario. This is the year where there are no more excuses; Idgaf about FSU, UF, UCF, I’m solely focused on us.

Norvell is a really, REALLY good coach, & myself & @Memnon vouched for him coming here. Maybe he’s not the best recruiter, maybe FSU is broke af, but what I do know is that he’s now on a 3 game win streak against us w/ FSU’s recruiting classes ranking:

2020 - 21st
2021 - 21st
2022 - 19th
2023 - 16th

2020 - 11th
2021 - 11th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 8th

So maybe he’s a Mike Gundy type, doesn’t recruit the big names, but his system fits the guys he has to make life miserable. I dunno, but what I do know is he was highly successful at Memphis. What I also know is I’m tired of trying to compare what FSU did this year, b/c I guarantee every single fan on this site would be slapping everyone w/ their balls or **** bragging about us going undefeated, no matter how ugly or lopsided games were.

I’m going to say it again, success doesn’t happen in the off season, it only happens between the lines on Saturday. Right now, Norvell is showing success; it may come crashing down next season. Personally, idgaf; I don’t have an inferiority complex; all I care about is this pivotal 3rd year for Mario. This is the year where there are no more excuses; Idgaf about FSU, UF, UCF, I’m solely focused on us.
breakfast club holy shit GIF by REVOLT TV

Advertisement

2020 - 21st
2021 - 21st
2022 - 19th
2023 - 16th

2020 - 11th
2021 - 11th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 8th

You’re not wrong. I’ll admit that Norvell has impressed me as a coach.

But a solid QB will do wonders for your program, and Travis played some really good football these past two seasons.

He’s going to have a lot of holes to plug in 2024, and I just don’t see him being able to do that in one off-season.

I just want to beat their asses in 2024 and get back on our winning streak. Those were good years.

2020 - 21st
2021 - 21st
2022 - 19th
2023 - 16th

2020 - 11th
2021 - 11th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 8th

I thought Norvell was a fraud but admit in hindsight that he's an excellent coach. But he doesn't have staying power because of poor recruiting, relying on mercenaries and consequently poor player culture. And now his budget is tapped out in landing his first Top 10 class and retaining some of his returning players.

Meanwhile, Mario is EXACTLY who we thought he was. I was hoping he'd get to 10 wins sooner with his rock star coordinators. But he's a recruiter and a builder, not a game day guru. And he just keeps building. People can talk about how the only thing that matters is Ws. But W sustainability trumps an undefeated season where everything went right for Norvell until Travis got injured..

Just remember, he had 2 losing seasons before going on that run. Mario has had one. Let's talk this time next year, in 2025 and again in 2026. I think all this debate will be great dartboard material.

I thought Norvell was a fraud but admit he's an excellent coach. But he doesn't have staying power because of poor recruiting, relying on mercenaries and consequently poor player culture. And now his budget is tapped out in landing his first Top 10 class and retaining some of his returning players.

Meanwhile, Mario is EXACTLY who we thought he was. I was hoping he'd get to 10 wins sooner. But he just keeps building. People can talk about how the only thing that matters is Ws. But W sustainability trumps an undefeated season where everything went right for Norvell until Travis got injured..

Just remember, he had 2 losing seasons before going on that run. Mario has had one. Let's talk this time next year, in 2025 and again in 2026. I think all this debate will be great dartboard material.
That entire first paragraph is full of hopes, wishes, and speculation.

Advertisement
I read the article on the fsu site and while the committee's decision is questionable the bigger issue for florida state is their roster was either bought or a super senior... they haven't really developed much talent and have nobody in the wings waiting as guys opt out ... their demise isn't so much getting left out the playoffs but more lack of building a culture through hs recruiting. they gambled on having a good season with a super senior and portal laden team with the hopes that it would catapult their program ... now they're staring at getting their *** kicked by 4 td's on national tv and a downward spiral into the spring ... not even sure cam ward is the answer as they have so many holes and only so much money ... mario is a game day corch, but we can't deny how he's building the culture and program the right way
Im sure norvell knows that
The issue is simple
He’s just not a good recruiter
Above avg with game planning and x and o
But isn’t a good hs recruiter
He’s shown hes better at the portal so he does what he’s good at
We’re lucky he’s good at something that isn’t not sustainable
Most coaches are not good recruiters
Were finally lucky to have an elite one

They had Jordan Travis who improved substantially that really help catapult them back to national prominence-

Norvell supplemented that with some shrewd portal aquisitions -Plus the had a veteran OL and DL that paid huge dividends-

It’s hard to argue against their success the last 2 years-Can they sustain it is the question.

2020 - 21st
2021 - 21st
2022 - 19th
2023 - 16th

2020 - 11th
2021 - 11th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 8th

Preach
This will be a forever xo vs jimmy/joes
Can Mario out recruit his corching
Or can norvell out scheme his jag recruiting

Norvell was 12-16 before winning 19 straight. He might go 12-16 after Travis leaves.

Can we AT LEAST wait to crown Prison Mike until we see what he can do without this batch of transfers?
Thats the thing the batch of transfers arent stopping anytime soon and they have had success to sell to transfers AGAIN.

they got Travis out the portal and just like us they will be in the portal again grabbing something except they may have been landing better qb rooms than us the last 2 years.

T

Advertisement
Back