You can't neglect hs recruiting

ageezy

Cane til I Die
I read the article on the fsu site and while the committee's decision is questionable the bigger issue for florida state is their roster was either bought or a super senior... they haven't really developed much talent and have nobody in the wings waiting as guys opt out ... their demise isn't so much getting left out the playoffs but more lack of building a culture through hs recruiting. they gambled on having a good season with a super senior and portal laden team with the hopes that it would catapult their program ... now they're staring at getting their *** kicked by 4 td's on national tv and a downward spiral into the spring ... not even sure cam ward is the answer as they have so many holes and only so much money ... mario is a game day corch, but we can't deny how he's building the culture and program the right way

Advertisement
I read the article on the fsu site and while the committee's decision is questionable the bigger issue for florida state is their roster was either bought or a super senior... they haven't really developed much talent and have nobody in the wings waiting as guys opt out ... their demise isn't so much getting left out the playoffs but more lack of building a culture through hs recruiting. they gambled on having a good season with a super senior and portal laden team with the hopes that it would catapult their program ... now they're staring at getting their *** kicked by 4 td's on national tv and a downward spiral into the spring ... not even sure cam ward is the answer as they have so many holes and only so much money ... mario is a game day corch, but we can't deny how he's building the culture and program the right way
It’s a good thing that can ward likely is t even an option for them

They just went undefeated. I could care less what Mario is supposedly building...they won 19 straight using their scheme it seems to have worked.

They have a top 10 recruiting class currently because of it.

The demise has been greatly over stated by us fans for 2 straight years. I mean a year a1/2 ago we had folks feeling "sorry"
for fsu and yall still are on that wave apparently lol

They just went undefeated. I could care less what Mario is supposedly building...they won 19 straight using their scheme it seems to have worked.

The demise has been greatly over stated by us fans for 2 straight years. I mean a year a1/2 ago we had folks feeling "sorry"

Yeah 3 years ago people on this site were saying the exact same thing- Norvell can't recruit and his team of mercenaries will be a huge flop, and he's going to get fired.

Is it is sustainable? Well it's obviously wasn't a one year aberration. As you said, they've won 19 straight. Won 10 last year and undefeated this year.

Different paths to success. Cristobal is going to try to do it through HS recruiting (TBD). Norvell already achieved extraordinary success with a team built largely on transfers. Next year FSU might have a down year while they reload, but I don't see any barrier that would prevent Norvell from having success again in 2-3 years with another crop of transfers.

Norvell was 12-16 before winning 19 straight. He might go 12-16 after Travis leaves.

Can we AT LEAST wait to crown Prison Mike until we see what he can do without this batch of transfers?

Advertisement
It is difficult to discount what FSU accomplished the last two seasons. They used the portal almost better than anyone else if not better than anyone else. Despite our dislike of the Noles, there is a clear argument they should have been in the CFP, err “Invitational”.

It remains to be seen how sustainable relying on the portal for key players can be. I do believe you need strong high school recruiting for your core team and the portal is for backfilling. Although it does seem a number of teams, including Miami, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, and others are relying on portal for immediate starting quarterbacks. I suspect the portal will always be involved in filling that position.

Last edited:

Let me preface this by saying I think Norvell is a good coach and he has a good scheme but the portal is like FA in the nfl. You build through the draft / recruiting and fill holes with the portal / free agency. What they did the last couple years isn’t sustainabke and you’ll see why in 24 when they’re back winning 7-8 games. Respect to them for going all in this year and paying their 23 year olds to stay another year, but this was a freak occurrence. Mike went so heavy on the portal two years ago because he was hemorrhaging and the vultures were circling. He hit at an unreal rate too, which isn’t sustainable either. Then mix in a 6 year player at qb that turned into a stud out of nowhere. Good luck repeating all of that again.

fair point about 19 in a row ... that being said 12 of those came on this gamble year ... you have to admit they went heavy portal to plug holes instantly with hopes of riding the success going forward and it was well on its way to working ... but an injury and now what?

they did have a top ten recruiting class (#9 according to 247) but they didn't exactly surge to that finish ... the narrative on their program is not the best

in regards to their demise, i can't speak on that, but what i can speak to ios the negative narrative, the *** whoopin they about to take, and the lack of money to plug ALL the holes they have to fill because they neglected hs recruiting ... how many guys in this top 10 class are plug and play guys? they need quit a few

Advertisement
Let me preface this by saying I think Norvell is a good coach and he has a good scheme but the portal is like FA in the nfl. You build through the draft / recruiting and fill holes with the portal / free agency. What they did the last couple years isn’t sustainabke and you’ll see why in 24 when they’re back winning 7-8 games. Respect to them for going all in this year and paying their 23 year olds to stay another year, but this was a freak occurrence. Mike went so heavy on the portal two years ago because he was hemorrhaging and the vultures were circling. He hit at an unreal rate too, which isn’t sustainable either. Then mix in a 6 year player at qb that turned into a stud out of nowhere. Good luck repeating all of that again.
they bought this success (which is funny with all the flack we catch) and don't have the money to do it again as they have so many holes to plug between super seniors and portal guys .... where's the hs talent?

Lol, don't even mention the fact that they still can use the portal again. I would love to see us acquire better talent in the portal.

Lol, don't even mention the fact that they still can use the portal again. I would love to see us acquire better talent in the portal.
fair, they need a qb, rb, wr ... that's just offense ... they having trouble paying current guys, they have money for more guys?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Btw we won 15 in a row under Richt then everything went off the rails. Just saying.

Yup. How quickly people forget.

Because even with those 19 straight wins, he's only 31-16 in Tally.

1703710361493.png

Advertisement
That's the part that the Norvell slurpers need to read and read again. If they still want to slurp, they can then do some googling into hit rates of other programs. Even Tony Gwynn swung and missed (rarely).

I think you hit the nail on the head. The secret sauce is to finish, bare minimum with a top 10 class and load up on as much high school talent as possible, then fill in the gaps where necessary with the portal. You got Deion with a class size of 5, when he leaves in the next 1-2 years that program is going to be an absolute disaster. I feel sorry for the next guy that takes over at Colorado.

Advertisement
Back