You are Kyle Murray.......

Advertisement
I would go to the NFL. You can come back to baseball in four years much easier than you can come back and try your hand at football in half a decade. Baseball will always be there. And they love star appeal. Try your hand where your heart is first.

Would you want your favourite team's GM to take a 5'9", 180lb QB with a first round pick?

He's a third round flyer.
Some mock drafts have him going to the Giants at 6 overall. 2020 has a loaded NFL QB draft class, but it's weak this year. Someone is gonna reach for him.

Baseball. You can always make a run at the bigs and if you’re as good as advertised you get paid. If not, go back to football. A lot easier to do it that way than vice versa.

Brandon Weeden went back and played football at 27 or 28 years old and made quite a bit of money. Murray is by far a better talent in both sports than Weeden.

That’s the thing, I could be wrong but I don’t think he’s a 1st round talent. He’s a high ceiling guy, but the floor is much lower than anybody I saw drafted in the first 2 rounds. This was a reach based on him never dedicating his life to the game and hoping there is more untapped potential

Advertisement
More guranteed money early on in football if he ends up as a top 10 pick. Plus he may have a 4.6 million signing bonus but not everyone makes it out of the minor league to receive those big contracts even some of the top draft picks.
So he wouldn't get the 4.6 until he got the call up to the big club? I thought he got that no matter what??

mlb aint putting money toward a team signing a player. If oakland wants him they are gonna have to pay up. As far as football in todays game he will be able to play in the nfl because of how the rules have changed and qbs are untouchable
$10m is nothing to MLB. It's a lot to the A's.

MLB wants as many stars as possible playing its sport - they also desperately want to win this PR battle over Murray. They'd definitely float them $10m if that gets the deal done.

As for the rest - he'll struggle to see over the line in the NFL and he'll get smacked around - literally everyone that blitzes him will be bigger than he is, they're going to have a field day. But good luck to him.

Advertisement
So he wouldn't get the 4.6 until he got the call up to the big club? I thought he got that no matter what??

He gets the 4.6 no matter what. He would make minor league money (which is literally nothing) until he was placed on the 40 man roster.

With the success of Baker and Lamar, somebody taking him in the 1st round. Even a bust like Jake Locker made 12.5M.

He's talking about the follow on contracts.

He'll get the $4.9m the second he turns up to camp. He'll then get a minor league salary commensurable with the level of minor league baseball he's playing.

He won't see big league money, and that's not huge money, until he gets there.

It's why he wants to be put on the 40 man roster too - he wants to force the A's hand with regards to him being called up early and, therefore, starting his clock so he hits FA earlier.

.......and you just won the Heisman. You now have the option to enter the NFL draft or accept the MLB offer with the "A's" and a 4.6m signing bonus, what do you do?

REASONS YOU DO WHAT YOU DO.

Sign a very nice MLB contract and dont look back.

Advertisement
He's talking about the follow on contracts.

He'll get the $4.9m the second he turns up to camp. He'll then get a minor league salary commensurable with the level of minor league baseball he's playing.

He won't see big league money, and that's not huge money, until he gets there.

It's why he wants to be put on the 40 man roster too - he wants to force the A's hand with regards to him being called up early and, therefore, starting his clock so he hits FA earlier.

Not true. He can sign a major league contract now.

You go to the nfl and get paid now. I think they said the last pick in the 1st round gets 8 mil guaranted. After a few years if you cant cut it in the nfl then go baseball.

Advertisement
You go to the nfl and get paid now. I think they said the last pick in the 1st round gets 8 mil guaranted. After a few years if you cant cut it in the nfl then go baseball.
You think a dude who hasn't picked up a bat for 3 years is going to come back and hit a 90mph fastball?

Yeah, nah. If he goes the NFL route then his baseball career is over.

Advertisement
Back