You are Kyle Murray.......

bambam

Freshman
.......and you just won the Heisman. You now have the option to enter the NFL draft or accept the MLB offer with the "A's" and a 4.6m signing bonus, what do you do?

REASONS YOU DO WHAT YOU DO.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
If the A's offer him the $15 million he was asking for, baseball. No cap, less chance of injury, guaranteed contracts.

If they don't make that offer, football. Take the money while you can get it. $15 million (what he gets if he goes 16 in the draft, roughly where he's projected) is enough to set you up for life

.......and you just won the Heisman. You now have the option to enter the NFL draft or accept the MLB offer with the "A's" and a 4.6m signing bonus, what do you do?

REASONS YOU DO WHAT YOU DO.
Two sports... But if I had to pick one, definitely baseball

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ask for 15 million like he did and see if oakland pays up. Put my name in the nfl draft as leverage sicne they are talking about being a high draft pick. win/win scenario
Oakland won't pay $15m.

MLB might, but they'd have to foot $10m of that bill.

If I'm Murray I go and play baseball. He's 5'9", with the best will in the world he's not succeeding as a QB in the NFL at that height (and build).

I understand why he's done it as the NFL is far more glamorous and less of a grind (162 game season?!), but it's not what I'd do in his shoes.

His college baseball stats are good but don't seem like an "all-time prospect" to me. Batting average just below .300 and an OPS under 1.000 make me wonder Mr. Moneyball Billy Beane is so interested in this player.

More guranteed money early on in football if he ends up as a top 10 pick. Plus he may have a 4.6 million signing bonus but not everyone makes it out of the minor league to receive those big contracts even some of the top draft picks.

If the A's offer him the $15 million he was asking for, baseball. No cap, less chance of injury, guaranteed contracts.

If they don't make that offer, football. Take the money while you can get it. $15 million (what he gets if he goes 16 in the draft, roughly where he's projected) is enough to set you up for life
Would you want your favourite team's GM to take a 5'9", 180lb QB with a first round pick?

He's a third round flyer.

Advertisement
Back