Yes, this feels like 2017...

Advertisement
At least we are enjoying the season as fans...

Until anybody with any money, relevance, and half a brain to understand untraceable cell phones; this team will not be Alabaga, O$U, Clem$on. With that we are still fighting money/incentives versus UF,FSU,UGA, NotreDame, Auburn, OK, Texas, Oregon, USC.

We have plenty of alumni who own a car dealership.

Alabamas last few on their recruit list end up with a car; signed off by an Uncle of course .

Start early, start fast and honor your commitment .

Ok, I’m bored already but I’ll play connect the dots and logic games.

If it’s, as you said, “detrimental to the program over the long haul to win” these games because “all they do is buy Manny more time” then him losing more games fast is less detrimental over the long haul in your opinion. As a fan, you naturally want what’s less detrimental to the program over the long haul.

So, lose every game faster = lose Manny faster, which is better over the long haul for you.
It’s really not hard to understand. You’re saying I’m “rooting for losses” which is not the case. I’m speaking from the perspective of the people making the big decisions when I say winning just buys him more time, because if it were up to me I would fire him after the season regardless (based off performance, not record). The team has improved at the QB position and that’s about it. Every other position group has regressed or stayed the same imo. Of course the ideal situation would be for Manny to prove me wrong and lead this team to great things, but I just don’t see that.

It’s really not hard to understand. You’re saying I’m “rooting for losses” which is not the case. I’m speaking from the perspective of the people making the big decisions when I say winning just buys him more time, because if it were up to me I would fire him after the season regardless (based off performance, not record). The team has improved at the QB position and that’s about it. Of course the ideal situation would be for Manny to prove me wrong and lead this team to great things, but I just don’t see that.
He’s not going though. He’s showing them enough of what they need to see... and “but but but 7-1” is what they need to see. They’re not going deeper than that.

I criticized him for not making any changes to the defensive staff after last season and I still feel that was an error by him but I’m happy with the other changes on offense and will be happy with the changes to defense happening now after this season.

I’m happy he’s taken over the defense. I’m happy about much of our recruiting except at QB and LB... and 7-1 is helping to stabilize that. 10-1 will even more so and no matter how much it’s argued that we’re a bad 10-1 team, that’s gonna fall on deaf ears with recruits. He will have done what he needed to come out with a win in every game except Clemson, ugly or not.

I’m happy we’re better than last year even if we’re not close to great. Last year was the worst Canes team I can remember. pile Up W’s, pile Up recruits and do it again.

The only reason people are comparing this team to 2017 is the record and close wins. This is the same team as last year with an actual QB and kicker. I get the whole building for the future thing, but when King and Borregales leave we play Bama with a first time starting QB or Kosi and a freshman kicker.

This staff needs to self reflect and start getting this team better or it’s gonna be one step forward this year and two steps back next year. The glaring problems aren’t being fixed. The only improvement we’ve seen as a whole, is the fight and winning close games.

Advertisement
Doesnt mean anything.

It means that this team is 7-1. It’s means a garbage team is now a good team. No one has ever said this is a great team and is read to compete for a championship but it is a step in the right direction. Haven’t you ever hear “you have to crawl before you walk” well these guys are crawling and we really can’t ask for much more than that.

this is almost a direct quote (might be paraphrasing a little bit) from manny in the postgame presser: "this league has a lot of tight games, so you have to learn to win tight games. and then you just have to recruit to the point that hopefully those games aren't so tight any more."

this is the exact thing a lot of folks have been preaching on here. win by any means necessary so we can stack talent for the years to come and keep building.

It means that this team is 7-1. It’s means a garbage team is now a good team. No one has ever said this is a great team and is read to compete for a championship but it is a step in the right direction. Haven’t you ever hear “you have to crawl before you walk” well these guys are crawling and we really can’t ask for much more than that.
They were 7-1 in 2017, so it actually didn't mean anything.

All of our best players are transfers, or guys who haven’t been here very long. King, Phillips, Bolden, Borregales.

Have to give kudos to coaches for identifying and convincing these guys to come here and getting them in position to be successful.

What I want to see next year is how the rest of the team develops, with non portal guys. How do the guys that have been here at least 3 years actually develop and look? Year 3 is always a great time to make a full evaluation on what’s actually happening.

Now guys like Nesta, Zion, and Couch are developing, but are enough guys improving to sustain and improve as a program?

Advertisement
I hate to be that guy but the delusion on this board is literally insane to me. We are a terrible team, there’s no two ways about it. The defense has regressed, the offense is a one man show, and lastly Manny has not improved his coaching. But but but “7-1”... take a look at the records of the teams we’ve played other than Clemson. As far as I’m concerned all these wins do is just buy Manny more time which will be detrimental to the program in the long run.

Jfc what a whiny ******* mope.

I really love how mesage is changing as the season progresses for some.

First it was---We'll be lucky to win 4 games this year!!
Then it was---Clemson exposed us, now every team will copy it and beat us.
Followed by---Yeah we're 5-1. You're a fool if you think we're beating anyone with an offensive pulse bro.
The shift---We're so lucky we got King. He saved Manny's ***!
Today at 7-1---Holy **** next season without our kickers and QB we're gonna get blown out by Bama. Fire everyone now ahead of it!

Whiniest little ******* I've ever seen here.

..and that's better than the rest of the crap since 2004. Richt sputtered because he didn't make adjustments. Manny, for his faults, doesn't seem to have that problem. There is a lot of work to do.

- This is not a complete team, but it's winning games because it is a least competent in all three phases. "Winning the offseason" is starting to translate to winning on the field. Last week, it was the offense. This week, it was the defense's turn. They had 11 TFLs, 6 sacks, and held a legit Virginia Tech offense below all of their averages. D'Eriq King is the main reason we're winning, but he was 12-8 before he came here. These are team wins.

- With that said, three players stood above the pack. Jaelan Phillips might be on the verge of a true breakout. He is playing with a ton of confidence and is starting to add some slipperiness to his game. T'ecory Couch showed everything in his bag-- the footwork, the ball skills, blitzing and open-field tackling. He's our best corner right now. Gilbert Frierson picked up two sacks and now has 9 TFLs on the season. He dances too much, but that's his real personality. All three of these guys bring juice and energy that is needed.

- This might have been the worst game of the year from a playcalling standpoint. It seemed like we were playing left-handed. We have a great QB and a great kicker, so we run a kicker toss. King is cooking, so we throw a screen to our LT. We have two RBs who can catch, so we throw it to the guy from the Wing-T. There were too many meaningful downs wasted with DOA playcalls. King is an elite decisionmaker. Let him work.

- Delone Scaife is still not a guard. He's not strong enough. This was a bad week to lose Campbell, Clark and Rivers. Scaife should've been benched. We aren't Wisconsin at center or tackle, but there is a clear gap between those positions and our guard play. Slide Campbell inside and get Donaldson on the treadmill.

- Salute to the wide receivers. They have gone from bad to average, with explosive traits. Likens has them playing tougher and more competitive every week. Still need to recruit better to go to the next level.

- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.

- The running game is still not there. It seemed like all three guys were pressing a bit. Virginia Tech isn't good up front. Georgia Tech (100th in rush defense) is even worse and a nice opportunity to get things back on track.

- The LBs played better than expected against a tough matchup. It hurts to say this about a loyal senior, but McCloud should have to earn his way back on the field.

We're halfway through November and it's still fun to watch Canes football. That's progress.
I'm going to do it.

Advertisement
I feel like we still have yet to see a game where the offense , defense and special teams all have come to play.

In 2017 it basically happened in the ND game and after that could not be done again.

This time around I am hoping it happens later in the season in a bigger spotlight. (Hopefully more than one game.)

Advertisement
Where do you want this program to be in the next 2-3 years? Do you trust this staff to develop players even if we bring in good recruiting classes? Do you think Manny will ever lead us to an ACC championship?
LAST YEAR MANNY DIDN'T DO WELL LAST YEAR. GOING 6-7 AS A 1ST YEAR COACH. THIS YEAR HE'S 7-1 AFTER MAKING ADJUSTMENTS IN THE OFFSEASON. THAT'S AN EXCELLENT PROGRESS. LOOK AT DABO, IT TOOK HIM A SEVERAL SEASONS TO LEARN AND TO BECOME A GREAT COACH. BE PATIENT BECAUSE WE'RE NOT GOING TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED SABAN TYPE OF COACH EVER.

MY POINT IS THAT YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT THE DIRECTION AND STRIDES MANNY HAS MADE AS A YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED HC.

Can they qualify for a bowl if they only play 3 or 4 games?
Wisky just ran train on Michigan and probably ended Harbaugh’s career there. I do not have the confidence yet in this defense that we could beat them. Or the Gatah, for that matter.

Also, I don’t understand this stance. It’s not rooting for losses, it’s just being realistic.

Your reality is stupid, demented and an embarrassment.

When we "check back with you next week" it still will be.

You literally need to self ban yourself for having such an idiotic and backwards take.

Advertisement
Back