Yes, this feels like 2017...

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
..and that's better than the rest of the crap since 2004. Richt sputtered because he didn't make adjustments. Manny, for his faults, doesn't seem to have that problem. There is a lot of work to do.

- This is not a complete team, but it's winning games because it is a least competent in all three phases. "Winning the offseason" is starting to translate to winning on the field. Last week, it was the offense. This week, it was the defense's turn. They had 11 TFLs, 6 sacks, and held a legit Virginia Tech offense below all of their averages. D'Eriq King is the main reason we're winning, but he was 12-8 before he came here. These are team wins.

- With that said, three players stood above the pack. Jaelan Phillips might be on the verge of a true breakout. He is playing with a ton of confidence and is starting to add some slipperiness to his game. T'ecory Couch showed everything in his bag-- the footwork, the ball skills, blitzing and open-field tackling. He's our best corner right now. Gilbert Frierson picked up two sacks and now has 9 TFLs on the season. He dances too much, but that's his real personality. All three of these guys bring juice and energy that is needed.

- This might have been the worst game of the year from a playcalling standpoint. It seemed like we were playing left-handed. We have a great QB and a great kicker, so we run a kicker toss. King is cooking, so we throw a screen to our LT. We have two RBs who can catch, so we throw it to the guy from the Wing-T. There were too many meaningful downs wasted with DOA playcalls. King is an elite decisionmaker. Let him work.

- Delone Scaife is still not a guard. He's not strong enough. This was a bad week to lose Campbell, Clark and Rivers. Scaife should've been benched. We aren't Wisconsin at center or tackle, but there is a clear gap between those positions and our guard play. Slide Campbell inside and get Donaldson on the treadmill.

- Salute to the wide receivers. They have gone from bad to average, with explosive traits. Likens has them playing tougher and more competitive every week. Still need to recruit better to go to the next level.

- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.

- The running game is still not there. It seemed like all three guys were pressing a bit. Virginia Tech isn't good up front. Georgia Tech (100th in rush defense) is even worse and a nice opportunity to get things back on track.

- The LBs played better than expected against a tough matchup. It hurts to say this about a loyal senior, but McCloud should have to earn his way back on the field.

We're halfway through November and it's still fun to watch Canes football. That's progress.

Advertisement
Yea, some of the offensive play calls left a lot to be desired....and King never had the opportunity to step up in the pocket because it collapsed too quickly all game.

Defense played much much better than last week. Not even close.

I did like the wide run with King on third down, unlike most people. Stay in bounds, worst case scenario: force them to use their final timeout, let a hot defense win it for you.

Advertisement
Honestly no one on this defense should be going anywhere(even Phillips). Guys like Roche, Ford, Carter and McCloud are the only seniors. Roche is pretty solid but the rest can go. Should have a very experienced defense next year especially in the secondary assuming idiots don’t declare.

I need to see Rumph, Baker, and Bartender boy gone after the season. Manny wants to take the next step? fire ya boys!

Bartender boy, as you call him, is one of the better recruiters we have, and with all the problems we’ve had with cornerbacks, safety hasn’t been as big of an issue the last few years.

Advertisement
No Juniors should leave besides possibly Phillips but I think another year for him puts him top 3 rd pick. Right now he isn’t that.

if all juniors would come back and we somehow find another QB/King comes back then wow next year could be special.
This is a free year. No seniors should go, either. Except McCloud. He's not getting any younger.

No Juniors should leave besides possibly Phillips but I think another year for him puts him top 3 rd pick. Right now he isn’t that.

if all juniors would come back and we somehow find another QB/King comes back then wow next year could be special.
If Phillips gets a top 3 round grade in the Spring he’s gone. And HE should leave with his injury history. 3rd round picks get a 4 yr contract avg. 850K+ per year with a signing bonus.

people seem to forget what the 2017 team did to VT and ND. they played down to competition and were very flawed at QB but had a gear that this team does not. we will see against UNC which is our only home game versus a good team on this year's schedule.

regardless, if you had told me when our schedule came out that we would win back to back road games vs NC state and VT i would have taken it in the blink of an eye no questions asked. i'm basing this on the last 17 years of miami football.

Advertisement
Disagree on scaife. He had a bad game but today’s issues weren’t strength related. He was easily beaten on simple moves (caught flat footed and had horrible technique) and mental miscues (missing stunts). Maybe bump him outside and put JC in at guard but coaches seem **** bent to keep Jc at tackle.

Advertisement
..and that's better than the rest of the crap since 2004. Richt sputtered because he didn't make adjustments. Manny, for his faults, doesn't seem to have that problem. There is a lot of work to do.

- This is not a complete team, but it's winning games because it is a least competent in all three phases. "Winning the offseason" is starting to translate to winning on the field. Last week, it was the offense. This week, it was the defense's turn. They had 11 TFLs, 6 sacks, and held a legit Virginia Tech offense below all of their averages. D'Eriq King is the main reason we're winning, but he was 12-8 before he came here. These are team wins.

- With that said, three players stood above the pack. Jaelan Phillips might be on the verge of a true breakout. He is playing with a ton of confidence and is starting to add some slipperiness to his game. T'ecory Couch showed everything in his bag-- the footwork, the ball skills, blitzing and open-field tackling. He's our best corner right now. Gilbert Frierson picked up two sacks and now has 9 TFLs on the season. He dances too much, but that's his real personality. All three of these guys bring juice and energy that is needed.

- This might have been the worst game of the year from a playcalling standpoint. It seemed like we were playing left-handed. We have a great QB and a great kicker, so we run a kicker option. King is cooking, so we throw a screen to our LT. We have two RBs who can catch, so we throw it to the guy from the Wing-T. There were too many meaningful downs wasted with DOA playcalls. King is an elite decisionmaker. Let him work.

- Delone Scaife is still not a guard. He's not strong enough. This was a bad week to lose Campbell, Clark and Rivers. Scaife should've been benched. We aren't Wisconsin at center or tackle, but there is a clear gap between those positions and our guard play. Slide Campbell inside and get Donaldson on the treadmill.

- Salute to the wide receivers. They have gone from bad to average, with explosive traits. Likens has them playing tougher and more competitive every week. Still need to recruit better to go to the next level.

- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.

- The running game is still not there. It seemed like all three guys were pressing a bit. Virginia Tech isn't good up front. Georgia Tech (100th in rush defense) is even worse and a nice opportunity to get things back on track.

- The LBs played better than expected against a tough matchup. It hurts to say this about a loyal senior, but McCloud should have to earn his way back on the field.

We're halfway through November and it's still fun to watch Canes football. That's progress.
On the @DMoney

Advertisement
Back