Yes, this feels like 2017...

Advertisement
I think Bolden is playing out of position, he is a superb strong saftey roaming the midd of the field and playing close the line of scrimmage but he’s an average single high saftey! We are missing that on our raise last time we had that was in Redwine his 4.4 speed cleaned up a lot of our plays while JJ was stout against the run and playing middle of field

Advertisement
The '17 team won the turnover battle BIG, and that masked the deficiency at QB. That team did hit a gear against V-Tech & ND that in retrospect was almost miracuolous. Just when I thought Rosier wouldn't lose us a game..he did (@ Pitt).

The '20 team is winning by getting timely contributions from all 3 units. If the offense is off the D picks up the slack & vice-versa. ST's consistently solid w/ the exception of the gaffe @ NC St.
This team consistently misses opportunities to take control of games, but ultimately does enough to win (except @ Clem.) And that against pretty average competition. Textbook 'winning ugly'.

..and that's better than the rest of the crap since 2004. Richt sputtered because he didn't make adjustments. Manny, for his faults, doesn't seem to have that problem. There is a lot of work to do.

- This is not a complete team, but it's winning games because it is a least competent in all three phases. "Winning the offseason" is starting to translate to winning on the field. Last week, it was the offense. This week, it was the defense's turn. They had 11 TFLs, 6 sacks, and held a legit Virginia Tech offense below all of their averages. D'Eriq King is the main reason we're winning, but he was 12-8 before he came here. These are team wins.

- With that said, three players stood above the pack. Jaelan Phillips might be on the verge of a true breakout. He is playing with a ton of confidence and is starting to add some slipperiness to his game. T'ecory Couch showed everything in his bag-- the footwork, the ball skills, blitzing and open-field tackling. He's our best corner right now. Gilbert Frierson picked up two sacks and now has 9 TFLs on the season. He dances too much, but that's his real personality. All three of these guys bring juice and energy that is needed.

- This might have been the worst game of the year from a playcalling standpoint. It seemed like we were playing left-handed. We have a great QB and a great kicker, so we run a kicker option. King is cooking, so we throw a screen to our LT. We have two RBs who can catch, so we throw it to the guy from the Wing-T. There were too many meaningful downs wasted with DOA playcalls. King is an elite decisionmaker. Let him work.

- Delone Scaife is still not a guard. He's not strong enough. This was a bad week to lose Campbell, Clark and Rivers. Scaife should've been benched. We aren't Wisconsin at center or tackle, but there is a clear gap between those positions and our guard play. Slide Campbell inside and get Donaldson on the treadmill.

- Salute to the wide receivers. They have gone from bad to average, with explosive traits. Likens has them playing tougher and more competitive every week. Still need to recruit better to go to the next level.

- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.

- The running game is still not there. It seemed like all three guys were pressing a bit. Virginia Tech isn't good up front. Georgia Tech (100th in rush defense) is even worse and a nice opportunity to get things back on track.

- The LBs played better than expected against a tough matchup. It hurts to say this about a loyal senior, but McCloud should have to earn his way back on the field.

We're halfway through November and it's still fun to watch Canes football. That's progress.
if Manny can improve 3 more positions like he did this year and keep the improvements we should take another step up

We need to bring in at least one interior OL guy this offseason. Our interior line has been so bad that you don’t even notice how well our tackles are playing even though they had a bit of struggle today too. We also need another QB because I’m sorry King isn’t staying. He’s 23 years old.

Advertisement
I hate to be that guy but the delusion on this board is literally insane to me. We are a terrible team, there’s no two ways about it. The defense has regressed, the offense is a one man show, and lastly Manny has not improved his coaching. But but but “7-1”... take a look at the records of the teams we’ve played other than Clemson. As far as I’m concerned all these wins do is just buy Manny more time which will be detrimental to the program in the long run.

I hate to be that guy but the delusion on this board is literally insane to me. We are a terrible team, there’s no two ways about it. The defense has regressed, the offense is a one man show, and lastly Manny has not improved his coaching. But but but “7-1”... take a look at the records of the teams we’ve played other than Clemson. As far as I’m concerned all these wins do is just buy Manny more time which will be detrimental to the program in the long run.
I’m not dumb enough to say we’re elite or to think we are truly a top ten team. But whatever we are, I didn’t think we’d be here a year ago.

In your opinion, what would be a successful season? There seems to be no middle ground. Either complete domination like we’re on Bama’s level or another failure of a season like 2019?

Advertisement
We're flawed, not "terrible". This team is FAR from "terrible".

Advertisement
- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.
tenor.gif

No Juniors should leave besides possibly Phillips but I think another year for him puts him top 3 rd pick. Right now he isn’t that.

if all juniors would come back and we somehow find another QB/King comes back then wow next year could be special.

We are going to get embarrassed by Alabama next year even if everyone comes back imo

Advertisement
Back