Yes, this feels like 2017...

..and that's better than the rest of the crap since 2004. Richt sputtered because he didn't make adjustments. Manny, for his faults, doesn't seem to have that problem. There is a lot of work to do.

- This is not a complete team, but it's winning games because it is a least competent in all three phases. "Winning the offseason" is starting to translate to winning on the field. Last week, it was the offense. This week, it was the defense's turn. They had 11 TFLs, 6 sacks, and held a legit Virginia Tech offense below all of their averages. D'Eriq King is the main reason we're winning, but he was 12-8 before he came here. These are team wins.

- With that said, three players stood above the pack. Jaelan Phillips might be on the verge of a true breakout. He is playing with a ton of confidence and is starting to add some slipperiness to his game. T'ecory Couch showed everything in his bag-- the footwork, the ball skills, blitzing and open-field tackling. He's our best corner right now. Gilbert Frierson picked up two sacks and now has 9 TFLs on the season. He dances too much, but that's his real personality. All three of these guys bring juice and energy that is needed.

- This might have been the worst game of the year from a playcalling standpoint. It seemed like we were playing left-handed. We have a great QB and a great kicker, so we run a kicker toss. King is cooking, so we throw a screen to our LT. We have two RBs who can catch, so we throw it to the guy from the Wing-T. There were too many meaningful downs wasted with DOA playcalls. King is an elite decisionmaker. Let him work.

- Delone Scaife is still not a guard. He's not strong enough. This was a bad week to lose Campbell, Clark and Rivers. Scaife should've been benched. We aren't Wisconsin at center or tackle, but there is a clear gap between those positions and our guard play. Slide Campbell inside and get Donaldson on the treadmill.

- Salute to the wide receivers. They have gone from bad to average, with explosive traits. Likens has them playing tougher and more competitive every week. Still need to recruit better to go to the next level.

- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.

- The running game is still not there. It seemed like all three guys were pressing a bit. Virginia Tech isn't good up front. Georgia Tech (100th in rush defense) is even worse and a nice opportunity to get things back on track.

- The LBs played better than expected against a tough matchup. It hurts to say this about a loyal senior, but McCloud should have to earn his way back on the field.

We're halfway through November and it's still fun to watch Canes football. That's progress.
- Manny being a defensive coach I was shocked he didn’t take the points that first drive. He forgets very quickly what it’s like not to have a kicker. Trying to get too cute too soon.
- I literally feel like we have 3 slot WRs with Wiggins Pope and Harley. Just in different body sizes. Wiggins plays like a smaller/quick guy. I think they need to continue being put in situations where they are comfortable in. Clearly there isn’t a guy on the roster who knows how to catch/compete for a deep ball.
- lol soon as I saw that Bubba hair I thought to myself here we go 🤦🏽‍♂️... He’s lost that fire as of late. I don’t see any juniors that should leave early, including Phillips and Bubba. Phillips has had a couple good games but to leave early I don’t think people realize what NFL scouts look at. He doesn’t have enough film. This is his first full year of football.

Advertisement
- Manny being a defensive coach I was shocked he didn’t take the points that first drive. He forgets very quickly what it’s like not to have a kicker. Trying to get too cute too soon.
- I literally feel like we have 3 slot WRs with Wiggins Pope and Harley. Just in different body sizes. Wiggins plays like a smaller/quick guy. I think they need to continue being put in situations where they are comfortable in. Clearly there isn’t a guy on the roster who knows how to catch/compete for a deep ball.
- lol soon as I saw that Bubba hair I thought to myself here we go 🤦🏽‍♂️... He’s lost that fire as of late. I don’t see any juniors that should leave early, including Phillips and Bubba. Phillips has had a couple good games but to leave early I don’t think people realize what NFL scouts look at. He doesn’t have enough film. This is his first full year of football.

Agree although I still think Phillips is gone. He will rise based on physical traits and motor, especially if he finishes strong.

Agree although I still think Phillips is gone. He will rise based on physical traits and motor, especially if he finishes strong.
If he keeps up/improves what he’s doing now I could see it but it’s tough.

I have used the 2017 analogy myself and it is similar to the extent that I don't believe we are as good as the record suggests. That said, this team is better than the 2017 version because this time around, we have an offense that doesn't rely on the D to be nearly perfect.

Advertisement
..and that's better than the rest of the crap since 2004. Richt sputtered because he didn't make adjustments. Manny, for his faults, doesn't seem to have that problem. There is a lot of work to do.

- This is not a complete team, but it's winning games because it is a least competent in all three phases. "Winning the offseason" is starting to translate to winning on the field. Last week, it was the offense. This week, it was the defense's turn. They had 11 TFLs, 6 sacks, and held a legit Virginia Tech offense below all of their averages. D'Eriq King is the main reason we're winning, but he was 12-8 before he came here. These are team wins.

- With that said, three players stood above the pack. Jaelan Phillips might be on the verge of a true breakout. He is playing with a ton of confidence and is starting to add some slipperiness to his game. T'ecory Couch showed everything in his bag-- the footwork, the ball skills, blitzing and open-field tackling. He's our best corner right now. Gilbert Frierson picked up two sacks and now has 9 TFLs on the season. He dances too much, but that's his real personality. All three of these guys bring juice and energy that is needed.

- This might have been the worst game of the year from a playcalling standpoint. It seemed like we were playing left-handed. We have a great QB and a great kicker, so we run a kicker toss. King is cooking, so we throw a screen to our LT. We have two RBs who can catch, so we throw it to the guy from the Wing-T. There were too many meaningful downs wasted with DOA playcalls. King is an elite decisionmaker. Let him work.

- Delone Scaife is still not a guard. He's not strong enough. This was a bad week to lose Campbell, Clark and Rivers. Scaife should've been benched. We aren't Wisconsin at center or tackle, but there is a clear gap between those positions and our guard play. Slide Campbell inside and get Donaldson on the treadmill.

- Salute to the wide receivers. They have gone from bad to average, with explosive traits. Likens has them playing tougher and more competitive every week. Still need to recruit better to go to the next level.

- Bubba Bolden is coming down to Earth. I was worried once I saw the Demolition Man haircut. He reminds me in several ways of Rayshawn Jenkins. I hope he comes back to prepare himself to be a legitimate NFL starter.

- The running game is still not there. It seemed like all three guys were pressing a bit. Virginia Tech isn't good up front. Georgia Tech (100th in rush defense) is even worse and a nice opportunity to get things back on track.

- The LBs played better than expected against a tough matchup. It hurts to say this about a loyal senior, but McCloud should have to earn his way back on the field.

We're halfway through November and it's still fun to watch Canes football. That's progress.
I thought it was nice to see the other team finally get burned by a bad kicking performance. That field goal VT missed earlier in the game really came back to bite them. I think that's a very overlooked key to to this win.

2017 feels different because VT was #13 and ND was #3 when we pummeled them. The turnover chain was new, the Hard Rock was insanely loud, Richt was a bigger name.

COVID makes 2020 weirder and less exciting - but the close wins are similar. King has been exciting as **** to watch. But it feels a little more 2016 than 2017 to me.

We are going to get embarrassed by Alabama next year even if everyone comes back imo
This is what makes it difficult as a fan.

My ask for Miami is to beat the teams we're better than on paper, the teams we "should" beat. We've done that this year (so far) and we haven't in the last 15 years.

We're all impatient to be "back" right away, but getting crushed by Clemson/Alabama shouldn't undermine our improvement. Easier said than done.

This is what makes it difficult as a fan.

My ask for Miami is to beat the teams we're better than on paper, the teams we "should" beat. We've done that this year (so far) and we haven't in the last 15 years.

We're all impatient to be "back" right away, but getting crushed by Clemson/Alabama shouldn't undermine our improvement. Easier said than done.
That might be the best description of our fan base. We all want to be back right away, but building a legitimate contender takes a few years of stacking talent and winning the games we should win.

Advertisement
This difference between 2013 and 2017 is that we haven't tanked after suffering an embarrassing L.

We've actually rebounded since Clemson and won 4 in a row.

Agreed that in some ways this season does feel like 2017, with us making plays to win close games, feeling frustrated throughout games because it seemed like we should be playing better but ultimately finding ways to win, and feeling like we're probably a bit overrated because of the fact that so many of our wins have been so close and could have gone the other way.

To me, the big differences are the huge improvements in QB play/skill and the offensive system and playcalling. While Lashlee is by no means perfect, and his insistence on running the zone read over and over at some points is frustrating, his spread system (and the pace that comes along with it) has been a huge breath of fresh air for the offense and the program, and I trust his system/playcalling more than 2017 Mark Richt. And King is a true difference maker. I feel such confidence and comfort with him back there. He is capable of putting the team on his back, which Malik couldn't do, and King not only makes so many big/explosive/clutch plays, but he also doesn't put the ball into harm's way. We're lucky to have him, and I hope he comes back next year, because he's been so enjoyable to watch.

You said we were “terrible”, fūcktard.

You clearly don’t know anything about football.

Also, your last sentence tells me you’re a hater pušśy bltch and not a Miami fan. You were literally rooting for us to go 0-3 the next 3 games.

People like you, are the way you are, because you’re losers. This is the only kind of thing that gives you satisfaction, hating on things.
Sapingo 🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
You’re rooting for losses so you’re worthless and irrelevant here. Great loss tonight right? Great for recruiting too.
Fam I don’t have to root for losses, Manny takes care of that for me. Everything I said in this thread has proved to be true, while you were getting blinded by scraping by NC State, VT, and Virginia.. I was STILL applying pressure to Manny because the product on the field was ******..... like I said. Absolutely no improvements made from last year, we would have 2 wins without King....... like I said. All these irrelevant victories we had this year were exactly that.. irrelevant. Until Manny Diaz is fired along with Blake James we will never succeed. And I type this with no disrespect because at the end of the day we all want the program to succeed, but some just see the light later than others.

Advertisement
Fam I don’t have to root for losses, Manny takes care of that for me. Everything I said in this thread has proved to be true, while you were getting blinded by scraping by NC State, VT, and Virginia.. I was STILL applying pressure to Manny because the product on the field was ******..... like I said. Absolutely no improvements made from last year, we would have 2 wins without King....... like I said. All these irrelevant victories we had this year were exactly that.. irrelevant. Until Manny Diaz is fired along with Blake James we will never succeed. And I type this with no disrespect because at the end of the day we all want the program to succeed, but some just see the light later than others.
Wasnt blinded at all and I’ve ripped Manny plenty but I am not and never will be rooting for losses.

I was a fan before we had Lou Saban as a coach and tickets were given away at Burger King with the purchase of a meal. I went to games as a kid then and sat in that sweltering heat rooting for @cosdenc and his teammates like I have rooted for this team ever since, good or bad.

What happened tonight - I’m an hour ahead right now in the DR - is a disaster for recruiting. There’s nothing humorous about it for a real fan. Rooting for losses will never be palatable to me, regardless of how much the coRch sucks. The day I do that is the last day I’ll follow CFB.

Wasnt blinded at all and I’ve ripped Manny plenty but I am not and never will be rooting for losses.

I was a fan before we had Lou Saban as a coach and tickets were given away at Burger King with the purchase of a meal. I went to games as a kid then and sat in that sweltering heat rooting for @cosdenc and his teammates like I have rooted for this team ever since, good or bad.

What happened tonight - I’m an hour ahead right now in the DR - is a disaster for recruiting. There’s nothing humorous about it for a real fan. Rooting for losses will never be palatable to me, regardless of how much the coRch sucks. The day I do that is the last day I’ll follow CFB.
Can you show me where I said I was rooting for losses? I said beating teams like VT, NC State, etc... was not “doing anything for me”. Aka we played like **** and were poorly coached. Can you tell me what the point of beating UAB, VT, NC State, Duke, Virginia, etc... just to get raped by UNC is? We need to CLEAN HOUSE!! I would take us having a losing season if that meant Manny would be fired. That’s my point, anything other than that is delaying the inevitable.... like I said!! When are people going to open their eyes to this?? Why the fck do people get so excited over SCRAPING wins against these bum ACC teams?? Everyone could see we were smoke and mirrors. I will not take my foot off Manny’s neck until he gets fired. End of discussion.

Can you show me where I said I was rooting for losses? I said beating teams like VT, NC State, etc... was not “doing anything for me”. Aka we played like **** and were poorly coached. Can you tell me what the point of beating UAB, VT, NC State, Duke, Virginia, etc... just to get raped by UNC is? We need to CLEAN HOUSE!! I would take us having a losing season if that meant Manny would be fired. That’s my point, anything other than that is delaying the inevitable.... like I said!! When are people going to open their eyes to this?? Why the fck do people get so excited over SCRAPING wins against these bum ACC teams?? Everyone could see we were smoke and mirrors. I will not take my foot off Manny’s neck until he gets fired. End of discussion.
Ok 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
Back