yearby goes for 200+

I do not see why anyone prefers Cook.

Because Cook had more yards last year on half the carries, made the biggest plays in the biggest games, and is bigger, stronger and faster.

We need both.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Phony is the type of guy who has maxed out in high school. We know his ceiling. He's already there. Cook, on the other hand, is just starting to develop -- he will be a beast in college.

When you say Sony is maxed out are you referring to physically & strength wise? If so, Sony and Cook have the exact same body types & most likely similar strength numbers. I think all 3 will be good backs at their respective colleges

your crazy i seen sony repping 315 cook is nowhere near sony in the weight room

I said "Similar," and we've all seen sonys ridiculous weight room numbers, but how do you have any idea what cook benches? Off of a physical standpoint both backs look similar in build. Dalvin Cook also had a 38 power ball at a Nike combine.

Sony is significantly bigger than Cook, but I tend to agree with the theme here that Cook is just getting started. I don't think Sony is "maxed out" by any stretch but Cook has more room to grow. I dunno if he will or not but he could.

Then there's Yearby. Not a speed back, smaller than the other two, but the most natural running back IMO.

If anyone has the most growth potential, it's Yearby. Kid has been dominating Dade county for years but has tons of room to get bigger and stronger without effecting top end speed because he isn't a scat back. Just wait.

Advertisement

Because Cook had more yards last year on half the carries, made the biggest plays in the biggest games, and is bigger, stronger and faster.

We need both.

You sure do love measurables. I notice you didn't call him the better running back or football player.

Why do the Central coaches ask Yearby to carry the load? Is it because he's a workhorse? Is Cook more suited to play off of a guy who softens the defense? Does Cook spend a lot of time on defense?

Because Cook had more yards last year on half the carries.

Only stats I could find showed Cook outrushed Yearby by 4 yards. (1452 to 1448) & had one more rushing TD (21 to 20). It wasn't half the carries either. Since we are posting stats, why don't you talk about their Sophomore years as well? Probably bc Yearby had 2160 rushing yards (First underclassman RB to ever eclipse 2000 mark in Dade county history) to Cook's 876. I doubt you want to bring up the 24 td's to Cook's 9 either. More carries again.. Tis true.. but maybe that's bc Dalvin is the better RUNNING BACK. Just a thought.

Only stats I could find showed Cook outrushed Yearby by 4 yards. (1452 to 1448) & had one more rushing TD (21 to 20). It wasn't half the carries either. Since we are posting stats, why don't you talk about their Sophomore years as well? Probably bc Yearby had 2160 rushing yards (First underclassman RB to ever eclipse 2000 mark in Dade county history) to Cook's 876. I doubt you want to bring up the 24 td's to Cook's 9 either. More carries again.. Tis true.. but maybe that's bc Dalvin is the better RUNNING BACK. Just a thought.

What they did their soph year is irrelevant at this point. I mean how far are we going, cause JoJo Robinson was a beast even before that but I won't say he is one of the top WR/DB prospects in the state. What matters is now, and while Yearby is a beast that we are lucky to have, Cook's projection, once again projection, is much higher.

I agree that Cook is just getting started 100%, I just wanted to know from which angle he was calling Sony maxed out, since I disagreed with that statement. I love that yearby has been able to handle a big load at central. Despite his stature he is not a scat back by any means.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Advertisement

No it wasn't half the carries, but Cook rushed for nearly 11 yards per attempt to Yearby's 6.8 (I assume you're using 247 as your source for stats?). Not exactly a minuscule difference.

Even comparing the numbers, Cook is just scratching the surface to his potential, which us frightening given what he's already accomplished. Not to say Yearby can't improve, but Cook has more room for growth.

What they did their soph year is irrelevant at this point. I mean how far are we going, cause JoJo Robinson was a beast even before that but I won't say he is one of the top WR/DB prospects in the state. What matters is now, and while Yearby is a beast that we are lucky to have, Cook's projection, once again projection, is much higher.

Funny how re-writing Dade county record books is considered irrelvant but 4 more rushing yards, now that's worth mentioning. Has JoJo been producing consistently like Joe has? Don't see your point. I certainly agree Cook has the higher ceiling from a potential standpoint but to act like one is leap & bounds ahead of the other is crazy talk. Both are great.. but only one is a Cane. Cook can go kick rocks. (with those beautifully sculpted legs of his)

Only stats I could find showed Cook outrushed Yearby by 4 yards. (1452 to 1448) & had one more rushing TD (21 to 20).

Cook- 127 carries, 1,452 yards (11.4 ypc), 21 TDs
Yearby- 212 carries, 1,448 yards, (6.8 ypc), 20 TDs

You sure do love measurables. I notice you didn't call him the better running back or football player.

He is the better running back and football player. Interesting that you use the term "football player," because Cook is the one who plays full-time defense and special teams while still tearing it up at running back.

Yearby is a stud who shuts me up more each game. Cook is a burgeoning phenom.

No it wasn't half the carries, but Cook rushed for nearly 11 yards per attempt to Yearby's 6.8 (I assume you're using 247 as your source for stats?). Not exactly a minuscule difference.

Even comparing the numbers, Cook is just scratching the surface to his potential, which us frightening given what he's already accomplished. Not to say Yearby can't improve, but Cook has more room for growth.

Of course Joe's YPC are going to be less than Dalvin's.. They are completely different backs having completely different type plays called for them. Joe does the dirty work.. which doesn't always show up on the highlight reel. I get the hype.. I really do. I just also know hype doesn't always pan out & usually kids like Joe who are just tough nosed football players (see: Duke) are a sure thing.

Advertisement

Funny how re-writing Dade county record books is considered irrelvant but 4 more rushing yards, now that's worth mentioning. Has JoJo been producing consistently like Joe has? Don't see your point. I certainly agree Cook has the higher ceiling from a potential standpoint but to act like one is leap & bounds ahead of the other is crazy talk. Both are great.. but only one is a Cane. Cook can go kick rocks. (with those beautifully sculpted legs of his)

The point about JoJo is that what they did soph year or before is useless when trying to project them at the next level. **** Charlie Jones was a S Fl monster but an average Div 1 back. Now I'm not comparing JoJo or Jones to Yearby, because Yearby is a better prospect and you are correct the only one of the top 3 backs in S Fl that is a cane right now. I like Yearby, we need his type of talent here but his ceiling isnt as high as Cook's and we need one more stud RB in this class, and I wish it was Cook.

Recruiting is all about winning battles and we need to land kids like Cook, if we want to get back to being the Miami of old.

Of course Joe's YPC are going to be less than Dalvin's.. They are completely different backs having completely different type plays called for them. Joe does the dirty work.. which doesn't always show up on the highlight reel. I get the hype.. I really do. I just also know hype doesn't always pan out & usually kids like Joe who are just tough nosed football players (see: Duke) are a sure thing.

Different types of plays called for them? What are you talking about? A run up the middle is a run up the middle, same as a run off tackle is a run off tackle. How many yards you gain on the play are based on your ability not the play design. This isn't like the passing game where a possession receiver won't have as high of a ypc because the routes he is told to run don't take him down field as much:.....

Also the comment about joe being a hard nosed player......
What evidence do you have that Cook isn't a hard nosed player? Everything about your argument revolves around rationalizing things. Yearby ain't Duke, cook's style is closer to Duke, the signature thing being explosive. The most sure thing in these projections are freaks, like Clowney, harvin, AP, bush. The closest thing in Dade this year at RB is Cook.

Last edited:
I like Yearby, we need his type of talent here but his ceiling isnt as high as Cook's and we need one more stud RB in this class, and I wish it was Cook.

Fair enough.. I completely agree with all that. I'm just defensive about Yearby bc I think he is a **** of a RB & for some reason our fanbase doesn't appreciate him at all. (not saying you) I'd love to land Matt Thomas, Ermon Lane, Dalvin Cook & all the rest of the studs we miss on.. As it is, I just try to appreciate the Jermaine Grace, Stacy Coley & Joe Yearby's who actually say they want to be Canes.. then follow through with it. Miami was at their best when they signed local kids who bled orange & green.. I'm seeing that happening more & more. At some point I think all these local kids will stay home & the ones who left will regret it for the rest of their lives. JMO

Advertisement
I like Yearby, we need his type of talent here but his ceiling isnt as high as Cook's and we need one more stud RB in this class, and I wish it was Cook.

Fair enough.. I completely agree with all that. I'm just defensive about Yearby bc I think he is a **** of a RB & for some reason our fanbase doesn't appreciate him at all. (not saying you) I'd love to land Matt Thomas, Ermon Lane, Dalvin Cook & all the rest of the studs we miss on.. As it is, I just try to appreciate the Jermaine Grace, Stacy Coley & Joe Yearby's who actually say they want to be Canes.. then follow through with it. Miami was at their best when they signed local kids who bled orange & green.. I'm seeing that happening more & more. At some point I think all these local kids will stay home & the ones who left will regret it for the rest of their lives. JMO

Lamp, nothing against Yearby. I don't see anybody knocking him, most just see the obvious which is that Cook has a higher ceiling and they want him, and it just happens he is committed to an in state rival. It's the nature of it all.

We need both.

Why do the Central coaches ask Yearby to carry the load? Is it because he's a workhorse? Is Cook more suited to play off of a guy who softens the defense? Does Cook spend a lot of time on defense?

Last year Cook played full time Defense, and returned kicks while also providing tons of big plays for the offense especially in their bigger games. so he wasnt just waiting on the sideline fresh for the D to wear down.

I do like what I saw from Yearby against American Heritage this year, seemed more explosive. Cant wait to see that BTW matchup

Different types of plays called for them? What are you talking about? A run up the middle is a run up the middle, same as a run off tackle is a run off tackle. How many yards you gain on the play are based on your ability not the play design. This isn't like the passing game where a possession receiver won't have as high of a ypc because the routes he is told to run don't take him down field as much:.....

Also the comment about joe being a hard nosed player......
What evidence do you have that Cook isn't a hard nosed player? Everything about your argument revolves around rationalizing things. Yearby ain't Duke, cook's style is closer to Duke, the signature thing being explosive. The most sure thing in these projections are freaks, like Clowney, harvin, AP, bush. The closest thing in Dade this year at RB is Cook.

I disagree with mainly all of that but I'm tired of typing on this phone. Cook is more like Yeldon while Yearby is like Bernard. (and Duke IMO, has great jukes) Getting either is great. Didn't mean to make it sound like Cook isn't tough, just meant it more as a compliment towards Joe. Anyway I digress until I can get to a computer. Both are studs. Thankful to have Joe.

I'm guilty of this. I am so pro-Cook that I always end up anti-Yearby. But he's a **** good back and part of our return to the top. Next week is a huge week for both of those guys.

Advertisement
Back