Xzavier Henderson Hits the Portal

I only got upset because it seem like every week there was a new name popping up at WR and then things go silent or they go elsewhere. But it makes sense because we never know the back stories or negotiator prices like you said. Just because we have the money doesn't mean we should spend it all just because. I only think there's one WR even close to being a WR1 or WR2 here and that's the guy Franklin form UTSA
Only other point I'd stress to that is obviously you realize Mario doesn't speak on any of this. In alot of instances these names popping up (at all positions)have very little to do with us, if anything. It's fans and media trying to put their own two cents in. Sometimes it's valid while many other times it's just nonsense...

Advertisement
Only other point I'd stress to that is obviously you realize Mario doesn't speak on any of this. In alot of instances these names popping up (at all positions)have very little to do with us, if anything. It's fans and media trying to put their own two cents in. Sometimes it's valid while many other times it's just nonsense...

Yes. There are a number of guys that people DO NOT KNOW we are pursuing, and there are a bunch of names that the Board thinks we are chasing, but are not.

Yea isn't portal mostly negotiations anyways with handlers representatives, and little at all with position coaches.

He's probably worth $400. I'd stretch to $1,000 at a push.
give homie $40
baby boy hairdresser GIF

Advertisement
This is the crazy **** on here. So many FANS **** all over everything we got going on regardless of whether or not they have a clue if it's fact or fiction they speak on. Yet heaven forbid they simply watch what's going on. All this talk about dudes not buying in at wr yet we have a **** good one committed in Chance... These kids believe the same **** y'all do. They swear we desperate and as a result they try to bend us over a barrel. Maybe some of y'all are good with getting bent over(that wasn't an invitation you know who)but I ain't in to these games. You don't pay a kid who's coming in for one year a million plus UNLESS he's got **** good RESULTS AT THIS LEVEL... You don't promise these kids anything beyond they'll get an opportunity. If you come here and try to tell us I'm starting and if I stay healthy I want this many touches per game, guess what **** YOU & these games you're trying to play... Best case one year dudes with these types of results should be asking for 100-150k. Not 1.25,that's just ****ery
I no dat man ain’t ask 4 no 1.25 of dem thangs (BIG PAUSE)?!? He Superman Trippin ain’t he?

Yea isn't portal mostly negotiations anyways with handlers representatives, and little at all with position coaches.

Agent on behalf of USC (allegedly): "hey, Bear's Agent, what's your asking price"
Agent on behalf of Bear (allegedly): "2.5mil"
Agent on behalf of USC: "Riley, thumbs up or down?"
Riley: "(y)"
Agent on behalf of USC: "ok, Bear's Agent, enter the portal and let's begin"
Bear enters portal

Now from here others heads spin and contact him.

The big time transfers might not always announce right away (listening to offers now that it's "legal" with them in the portal) but already have a pretty certain idea where they're heading.

Allegedly.

The negotiations are with agents and reps. But initially coaches are the voice of the reps. But that's literally just beginning steps.

Advertisement
Look, I just destroyed you in two separate posts. It's time for you to stick your "small sample size" generalizations deep inside your ******.

Literally and figuratively, you simply don't know what the **** you are talking about.

At the time when Henderson was injured, he had nearly as many catches (38) as Pearsall and Shorter COMBINED (44). Henderson was AR-15's favorite target. He had just as many "10-yards-or-longer" receptions (16) as he did "5-yards-or-shorter" receptions (16). Slingblade Billy just called Henderson's number more frequently (longer AND shorter routes) and AR-15 just found Henderson more frequently (longer AND shorter routes).

Simple analysis of the results (and not just "totals" or "averages") makes it very obvious.
Look, I knw you're going to write a twelve paragraph dissertation whenever someone says something you disagree with but the numbers are there plain as day. Henderson averaged half as many yards per catch as the other two starters because he was used almost exclusively on short yardage passes. Maybe both of his coaches were complete idiots and they had Randy Moss on their roster but decided that he was best used catching screens while the other guys got to run downfield routes. I don't know but the facts are clear as day. There's no real argument form him as a downfield threat besides you saying he is.

Look, I just destroyed you in two separate posts. It's time for you to stick your "small sample size" generalizations deep inside your ******.

Literally and figuratively, you simply don't know what the **** you are talking about.
Come on with this man. We can disagree in total or in part with him but DTP’s a quality poster and one of the best over the years here IMO. He doesn’t deserve the full ****** treatment.

Look, I knw you're going to write a twelve paragraph dissertation whenever someone says something you disagree with but the numbers are there plain as day. Henderson averaged half as many yards per catch as the other two starters because he was used almost exclusively on short yardage passes. Maybe both of his coaches were complete idiots and they had Randy Moss on their roster but decided that he was best used catching screens while the other guys got to run downfield routes. I don't know but the facts are clear as day. There's no real argument form him as a downfield threat besides you saying he is.

More bullcrap and spinning from you. I knew you'd complain about the specificity of the analysis, because you just want to stick to some dopey misleading "yards per catch" number that is skewed by the small sample size.

It's beyond obvious. You refuse to address:

1. The absolute lack of a "downfield passing game" at Florida last year
2. The fact that Henderson was targeted as much as Pearsall-Shorter COMBINED prior to his ankle injury
3. The sudden increase in Pearsall-Shorter receptions once Henderson was hurt

And of course you have to turn a discussion of a mid-level WR target into a comparsion with RANDY MOTHER****ING MOSS. Yeah, you're not exaggerating or distorting things even a little bit, are you?

As per usual, you ignore the obvious. Henderson could be a downfield threat BECAUSE HE'S FAST. Not because of how Slingblade Billy used him and AR-15 abused him.

Prattle on. You've made your lack of football knowledge painfully apparent. I never said Henderson was a "downfield threat", I said he COULD BE if he is used properly. Meanwhile, you invented some closet-Gaytor-fan fiction to lie to us about how Pearsall and Shorter were part of some mythical Gaytor "downfield passing game".

Hilarious.

Come on with this man. We can disagree in total or in part with him but DTP’s a quality poster and one of the best over the years here IMO. He doesn’t deserve the full ****** treatment.

I don't care if @DTP is a quality poster, he is absolutely digging heels here.

You and I know what is going on because we've been stalking the Gaytor boards for years.

But I saved "the full ****** treatment" (and I love that phrase by the way, I think I have to steal it) until after I made multiple progressive efforts to educate him on the story inside of the statistics.

And I'm not mad at him, it's nothing personal, but his responses ON THIS ISSUE ALONE are just insane.

He wants to keep responding to every point with "yards per catch, brah", and I'm going to give him the FRT...

Advertisement
I think you make a valid point about why they - and I’ll just stick with Billy most recently - didn’t use Henderson downfield if he’s better suited for that.

We can’t answer that but I know 3 things about this:

1. He was timed under 4.5 in the 40 - maybe 4.45 - in high school so he can run straight.

2. Their board posted, and it’s screenshotted in Gator Tears, that he was used incorrectly in the short game running some kind of orbit ****; and

3. If he can’t get downfield then he shouldn’t even be playing based on the clips we saw of him in practice running drills yet there he was out there in games expected to make dudes miss in a short area.

So, he might suck going downfield, but if that’s the case then his coach is a coRch for playing him in the short game like that’s going to be better.

I don't care if @DTP is a quality poster, he is absolutely digging heels here.

You and I know what is going on because we've been stalking the Gaytor boards for years.

But I saved "the full ****** treatment" (and I love that phrase by the way, I think I have to steal it) until after I made multiple progressive efforts to educate him on the story inside of the statistics.

And I'm not mad at him, it's nothing personal, but his responses ON THIS ISSUE ALONE are just insane.

He wants to keep responding to every point with "yards per catch, brah", and I'm going to give him the FRT...
Ok but say it nicer… or was that the nice version?

Why do you keep talking bull****? We DID attack the Portal last year at the WR position, we went hard after Addison and Flowers (among others). Just because we weren't succesful doesn't mean we didn't make the effort.
…we still signed out starting WR in the portal last year…people forget that lol

Advertisement
I think you make a valid point about why they - and I’ll just stick with Billy most recently - didn’t use Henderson downfield if he’s better suited for that.

1. He was timed under 4.5 in the 40 - maybe 4.45 - in high school so he can run straight.

2. Their board posted, and it’s screenshotted in Gator Tears, that he was used incorrectly in the short game running some kind of orbit ****; and

3. If he can’t get downfield then he shouldn’t even be playing based on the clips we saw of him I’m practice running drills yet there he was out there expected to make dudes miss in a short area.

So, he might suck going downfield, but if that’s the case then his coach is a coRch for playing him in the short game like that’s going to be better.

Just FYI, the "orbit motion" is when they start a WR on one side of the field, and then run him in a half-circle BEHIND the RB, with him ending up on the other side of the field.

And in the VAST majority of times I've seen that utilized, the orbit-motion guy isn't even the primary target, or else he runs a very short pattern.

In an IDEAL utilization, a motion like that could be like what they do in the Arena Football League, where a WR is allowed to be in FORWARD motion (i.e., running towards the line of scrimmage instead of parallel), and then the WR would already be running at full speed when he hits the line of scrimmage.

But if you take the fastest guy on your team, and run him in a half circle behind the running back, or send him on plays that result in zero yardage or negative yardage (10% of all of Henderson's 2022 completions), then you are not harnessing that speed properly. EVEN IF Slingblade Billy used Henderson as a glorified version of Dee Wiggins and sent him long on every play, you'd at least be dragging a cornerback out of position every time, and you could hit a bunch of underneath receivers.

Just...TERRIBLE utilization...to have a long-strider with speed running bubble screens...

3. If he can’t get downfield then he shouldn’t even be playing based on the clips we saw of him in practice running drills yet there he was out there in games expected to make dudes miss in a short area.

It’s all a probability. His actual (mostly lack of) production and lack of tape specifically proving he’s a deep threat after 3 years reduces the probability/confidence anyone should have in his potential success here in that role. Doesn’t mean he can’t. But should you be more confident in him over another portal option? Maybe because there really don’t appear to be many portal WRs available that would actually make a significant difference (or certainly not major value/$ improvement)… I’ll just say if he wants crazy money, I wouldn’t pay him. Let him go somewhere else. I’m confident Dawson will get our current WR group to produce. I’d love a top portal WR. But I’d love one who is more proven.

But if say a younger much more productive small school WR that was similar build and maybe same or tad slower was available - I’d take that…

Advertisement
Back