Xavier Restrepo--This man gonna be our next Honeynut.

Advertisement

aroused goat GIF

Berrios has had good moments but has never taken over games the way X has.
He's never made some of the spectacular catches X has. X is winning 50/50 balls at 5'10". He's definitely never embarrassed DB's the way X has. Berrios would often trip over his own feet while trying to get YAC. Even now when you watch him in the NFL, he can't make anybody miss. Berrios has had a nice career fueled by hard work, reliability and coachability... and that's respectable. That's his niche.

Let's not forget X is the only one who showed up versus Alabama (scored a TD) and the only one who was even trying (maybe too hard) versus Clemson when they blew us out.

He's much bigger... much stronger... and his route running is some of the best in the country.

We're talking about a kid who is breaking reception records and strength records at THE University of Miami.

How is this even a real discussion?
Cause they're both short and white? Lol
Typical hot takes from clueless coach taters. And for the stat geeks, the #’s don’t lie.

I don’t remember him having injury issues. He never played fewer than 11 games in a season. Now, granted until 2017 he was behind some talented receivers. Once Stacy Coley graduated and Ahmmon Richards got hurt, he was our only real option. Lawrence Cager couldn’t catch and Darryl Langham couldn’t run.
You're right - Berrios had much more to contend with on the depth chart

WR - Dorsett, Coley, Richards
TE - Walford, Herndon, Njoku
RB - Duke, Yearby, Walton

Richards injury during 2017 when Berrios was Senior paved the way for him to break out - but he had much more pass catching talent to contend with during his time at Miami than X (which isn't a knock on X either, who I'd prefer over Berrios).

Last edited:
You're right - Berrios had much more to contend with on the depth chart

WR - Dorsett, Coley, Richards
TE - Walford, Herndon, Njoku
RB - Duke, Yearby, Walton

Richards injury during 2017 when Berrios was Senior paved the way for him to break out - but he had much more pass catching talent to contend with during his time at Miami than X (which isn't a knock on X either).
In fairness to X, he had to wait his turn behind the school’s all time receptions leader before getting a shot to start. Harley was **** productive for us in 2020 and 2021

Advertisement
I don't know why we have to debate 'X vs Berrios' but, imo, X is better at Berrios at just about everything except short area quickness. Berrios has a ridiculous shuttle. It was something like 4.1, I think. To me, Barrios' short area quickness (his ability to make quick cuts in his routes) is his best asset. That's why he's always going to be in the slot.

X, on the other hand, can play all over. He's extremely quick and decisive and has great hands. He's also a DAWG!

I'm definitely not trying to be disrespectful, as I love and appreciate Berrios but, to me, he's a one-trick pony. It's just that that trick is a pretty good asset to have. X can do alot more and has shown alot more.

I remember Xs recruitment. UM kinda slow-played him. I even remember certain takes that he would be better playing a LB/S hybrid role here. You have to put some respect on the kids name! He came in as a 'borderline' recruit, to some, and is now our most productive and reliable player. He's a leader and we really need him to stay healthy this season to have some actual, impactful, success.

To me, this X v Berrios debate isn't really a debate. We, as a program, have leaned on X more, he's been a more visible leader, and he's set a tone in that WR room.

At the end of the season, regardless of our success, he can say he left this program in a better position than it was in when he arrived. That's all we can ask of our players!!!

He's never made some of the spectacular catches X has. X is winning 50/50 balls at 5'10". He's definitely never embarrassed DB's the way X has. Berrios would often trip over his own feet while trying to get YAC. Even now when you watch him in the NFL, he can't make anybody miss. Berrios has had a nice career fueled by hard work, reliability and coachability... and that's respectable. That's his niche.

Let's not forget X is the only one who showed up versus Alabama (scored a TD) and the only one who was even trying (maybe too hard) versus Clemson when they blew us out.

He's much bigger... much stronger... and his route running is some of the best in the country.

We're talking about a kid who is breaking reception records and strength records at THE University of Miami.

I agree with you on the overall premise of their time at the U but I know one game Braxton took over. Hadn't beat them dudes in half a decade and not only did he ball but was CLUTCH.

I'll never forget this one. Also, he definitely had some spectacular diving catches but I'll give the edge to X in that category too.

1710773457499.png

Advertisement
Daryl Jones won multiple track championships. He might have been the fastest guy on that team full of fast guys.
It's why I said not as fast brother. I watched that dude live. Jones was special fast but average everywhere else. But both are and we're good locker room guys. Attitude matters.

I mi
It's why I said not as fast brother. I watched that dude live. Jones was special fast but average everywhere else. But both are and we're good locker room guys. Attitude matters.
I misunderstood the original post. I thought you were referring to Jones. My bad.

I agree with you on the overall premise of their time at the U but I know one game Braxton took over. Hadn't beat them dudes in half a decade and not only did he ball but was CLUTCH.

I'll never forget this one. Also, he definitely had some spectacular diving catches but I'll give the edge to X in that category too.

View attachment 284779

I was coming in here to post exactly this...

I know he also had a good game against UNC that year, but 10-7-2017 was a **** of a second half performance.

Advertisement
In fairness to X, he had to wait his turn behind the school’s all time receptions leader before getting a shot to start. Harley was **** productive for us in 2020 and 2021

I don't want to take anything away from X - like I said I prefer X to Berrios (though I wouldn't argue against anyone who prefers Berrios).

I think they're similar talents and it's a matter of choice - but I think the WR/TE/RB talent were all better at each position when Berrios played.

Being fair to brax, while I'll say x has been a better player for us. I will say emphatically x benefited from a real staff and real qb play while brax ehh not so much. Brax has better hands and x is more of a play maker. More heart. Very similar otherwise.
braxton didn´t get used correctly until his senior year when he was moved into the slot.

Advertisement
Berrios played three seasons with our all time leading passer. Who was also his roommate. It’s weird that he didn’t break out until Rosier took over.
but he played on the outside, where a 5´9¨receiver doesn´t belong. he was misused his first three years hence his production skyrocketing from 12 catches for 178 yards and zero touchdowns to 55 catches 679 yards and 9 touchdowns with an inferior quarterback.

I'll preface this by saying that I agree with 99% of the stuff you wrote and I would take X over Berrios. But how can you say "Berrios has had good moments but has never taken over games the way X has."?

He took over against our biggest rival in 2017 (probably the reason we won that game). He set the tone with his opening TD against ND in the biggest victory we've had in 20 years. Which game has X taking over in similar magnitude as Berrios?

X is not white. he is hispanic :6fps6:

but he played on the outside, where a 5´9¨receiver doesn´t belong. he was misused his first three years hence his production skyrocketing from 12 catches for 178 yards and zero touchdowns to 55 catches 679 yards and 9 touchdowns with an inferior quarterback.
He played in an offense that only used two receivers at a time. There is no slot receiver when you’re bro style. We used a fullback instead.

Advertisement
Back