WTH is Tennessee Paying?

Advertisement
Tennessee hasn't had a 10 win season in 12 years...

TAMU hasn't had a 10 win season in 8 years...

What do they both have in common? An over million dollar recruiting budget.

Tenn spent $2million dollars on recruiting & TAMU spent $1.79mill.

One of the things that doesn't get discussed enough as it pertains to our recruiting struggles is the simple fact we don't spend enough money. I'm not talking about "bags", we just don't allocate enough funds to the Football program overall & it shows on the field.

The discussion is always centered around winning, but lots of teams don't win & still recruit well, of course winning is very important & would help a great deal with our recruiting, but even in 2017 when we were undefeated & the #2 ranked team in the Nation after beating Notre Dame kids weren't knocking down the door to come to Miami, we finished with a good class for that season, but we still missed on most of our top targets.

Recruiting is about effort more than anything, if you put in enough effort for a kid you can most likely get'em.

I don't think Tenn is bagging up all these kids, obviously they do pay players we all know that, but all the commits they've been getting recently isn't due to them paying kids, most of those kids haven't even had a chance to visit Tennessee's campus & have only had online Zoom conference calls with their staff. Even if they Cashapp kids there's a limit to how much you're allowed to send to a kid & that would actually leave behind the most obvious trail of evidence ever. They're getting these kids because they've done a good job selling their program & their coaches are experienced well known recruiters.

Pruitt, Derrick Ansley, Jay Graham & Tee Martin are some of the most well respected crooters' in the business, those guys all recruited well at every program they were at before all being at Tenn.

I 100% agree we do not invest enough resources into recruiting. You’re dead on. HOWEVER!! When you’re a 5x championship program in the Mecca of the best football talent in the nation, how can we struggle so much recruiting SFLA kids? Gas money and tolls aren’t that expensive.

At the end, it boils down to the coaching staff’s inability to recruit.

2 questions:
1) Are you guys recruiting him as a CB or Safety?

2) Do you see Oh St, Bama or UGA jumping in to try & flip him from UF again?

And yeah yall had some early momentum with McMillon, but it seems Va Tech has caught up & Oregon may be the sleeper in that recruitment as well, although I doubt a PA kid wants to go all the way to Eugene, especially given that his dad is a Coach. I don't think he's a take for PSU because they want Derrick Davis.

Idk where yall stand with the Palmetto boys, but I used to believe Marshall was a solid UF lock, but now I honestly think Bama is gonna press hard to sell him on being the next Surtain/Jobe. Bama doesn't have any CB's committed in their class & they're getting all their Florida recruits out the way early, I have a feeling they're making a push for Marshall.

I'm not sure what we're recruiting Kamar at because he still is determined that he's a corner in college. Prolly a thing where they'll give him a chance there and go from there. I sure as **** hope OSU doesnt eventually give him a greenlight bc it'll get interesting.

With him being in the fold right now it's:

CB - Burton
Nickel - Mitchell
DB - Wilcoxson (for now)

CB targets (in no order):

Marshall (obviously)
Jordan Young (Tampa Gaither, being slow played)
Khyree Jackson (just delayed his July committment date)
Nathaniel Wiggins (don't see it, but he's a take now if he wants in)

Safety targets (in no order):

Sorey (some say he'll be an OLB but idk)
Arnold (not loving our chances)
Harvey (meh....)
Collier (see Harvey)
McMillon (wouldn't mind him)

With Palmetto, I been trying to brace them over at Swamp Gas that us striking out on Marshall (and Taylor) is VERRRRY realistic. Not sure Smith ends back up with us either, just don't have that feeling. I still think if we wanted into Palmetto, should have scrapped the whole Leonard Manuel project and just take Poitier.

We don't have to spend $2mill but I believe we can crack at least $1mill for a recruiting budget.

Even FSU spent $1.5mill for 2018-19 recruiting budget & Nebraska spent $1.2mill.

Obviously it's much easier for state schools with large attendee base to generate more revenue so they can spend a lot more. We're a small private school with less than 20,000 students so I recognize the difficulty in that, but even with that we still could do more if we had better leadership in the administration from the President & AD on down.

The cheat code a lot of the SEC schools have is the SEC Network, they all get large payouts from their TV contracts with the SEC Network which allows them to have more discretionary spending.

Texas has always been a cash cow due to a heavy private Billionaire booster base with an unlimited War chest, plus the Longhorn Network gives them endless streams of revenue.

I wish there was a way we could get out the ACC & either go to the Big XII or go independent, but if there was a way for us to have our own version of the Longhorn Network, (basically the Hurricane network) we could potentially generate a lot of revenue from it, but I don't have much faith it would be run properly lol.
The Big Ten generates more TV revenue than the SEC. The ACC network is just catching on and will make up ground. I’m not sure I buy that’s a cheat code.
One mill a year is nothing to UM. They can spend it easily. Have you seen the recruiting budget? I’m **** sure if Manny said I need an extra mil for recruiting he’d get it.
90% of recruiting is the coaches and winning games IMO. We missed out on big targets in 2017 because of the green staff and bags.

Penny Ante.jpg

So what do we spend? Anybody?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back