WTH is Tennessee Paying?

Advertisement
They still went on a 6 game winning streak; and quite honestly, let’s pls stop throwing rocks out of glass house on other people’s schedule. We very likely would’ve went 0-6 or 1-5 against that same schedule, and we witnessed it first hand.

I alluded to this in another UT thread...Pruitt will flash 4 rings, name drop players he’s directly coached that were 1st rounders, has major recruiting connections due to his time in Bama, UGA, and FSU. So yeah, Tennessee is paying, we know that; but Pruitt now has some momentum behind him w some of the best recruiters on payroll.

We need to get our act together ASAP, and stop worrying about these other schools.

We suck and I hate Manny, but Tennessee is still garbage that never beat a team with a pulse. It’s not throwing rocks it’s a very real observation.

We don't have to spend $2mill but I believe we can crack at least $1mill for a recruiting budget.

Even FSU spent $1.5mill for 2018-19 recruiting budget & Nebraska spent $1.2mill.

Obviously it's much easier for state schools with large attendee base to generate more revenue so they can spend a lot more. We're a small private school with less than 20,000 students so I recognize the difficulty in that, but even with that we still could do more if we had better leadership in the administration from the President & AD on down.

The cheat code a lot of the SEC schools have is the SEC Network, they all get large payouts from their TV contracts with the SEC Network which allows them to have more discretionary spending.

Texas has always been a cash cow due to a heavy private Billionaire booster base with an unlimited War chest, plus the Longhorn Network gives them endless streams of revenue.

I wish there was a way we could get out the ACC & either go to the Big XII or go independent, but if there was a way for us to have our own version of the Longhorn Network, (basically the Hurricane network) we could potentially generate a lot of revenue from it, but I don't have much faith it would be run properly lol.

I would LOVE to be in the Big 12. Those schools tend to be allergic to defense. Miami would have a massive advantage. Huge metro areas as well for recruiting city kids (Dallas, San Antonio, Houston). I can't stand Tobacco Road, so hopefully in the future it gets looked at.

Independent would be interesting if Miami inked a big dollar streaming deal with Amazon to stream games worldwide. Probably would have to be with other conference refugees (maybe a bunch of private schools could link up as - USC, Miami, Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford) but it would be better than the acc.

Last edited:
I think ppl make recruiting harder than it is. Of the top 12 recruiting team rankings by 247 last year 6 have ties to Nick Saban. When ppl say a staff has good recruiters all they are saying is are they playing the game. I told yall go to alabama campus. Its a dodge dealership in the dorms parking lot.

I would LOVE to be in the Big 12. Those schools tend to be allergic to defense. Miami would have a massive advantage. Huge metro areas as well for recruiting city kids (Dallas, San Antonio, Houston). I can't stand Tobacco Road, so hopefully in the future it gets looked at

I agree. Texas has all the resources to be alabama. Big school in a nice metro area, huge fanbase, longhorn network, and deep pocket boosters. they arent getting their money’s worth. I think tom herman is a good coach wonder if it finally clicks.

Advertisement
I agree. Texas has all the resources to be alabama. Big school in a nice metro area, huge fanbase, longhorn network, and deep pocket boosters. they arent getting their money’s worth. I think tom herman is a good coach wonder if it finally clicks.

All that money is a double edged sword. Unlimited funds, but lots of meddlesome donors and nonstop schmoozing. A coach cant just coach - he has to kiss a lot of ***, otherwise rich donors will make life miserable.

All that money is a double edged sword. Unlimited funds, but lots of meddlesome donors and nonstop schmoozing. A coach cant just coach - he has to kiss a lot of ***, otherwise rich donors will make life miserable.

Just need an alpha male coach a coach like al golden not gonna cut it the caliparis, sabans, etc make it work

Advertisement
UT is an easy sell to recruits. Amazing facilities, awesome game day experience, and they are in the 3rd biggest city in Tennessee. Their boosters own hundreds of restaurants and players are treated like celebrities when they’re playing well. With them coming off of their 6 game win streak and their recruiters, it’s an easy sell!

Advertisement
Fulmer planted himself In Miami late during his tenure in order to try and save his job. He had a street agent back then and if I’m correct the Herald broke a story about it and Tennessee packed shop and left. Nothing came of it.

They have excellent/elite recruiters(Pruitt, Ansley, Tee Martin, Brian niedemeyer(who was at Miami under golden) plus more.......plus everyone in the sec pays.

they EASILY have some of the best recruiters in the country

Niedemeyer is the guy that has a really good relationship with the south Florida kids

Advertisement
That's a possibility, but in terms of conference networks the ACC is behind the SEC, B1G & Big XII.

Hopefully the ACC network makes more money because the more money they make the larger the payouts will be.

But with ESPN creating the ACC Network they have to value it as much as they value the SEC network & that only comes from fan response. ESPN puts all their investment & effort into the SEC Network because their fans give them a large return, SEC fans make a nice portion of the revenue they generate from the network from viewership, advertisements, subscriptions etc.. Aside from Clemson football, Duke/UNC & Louisville Basketball I don't think the ACC has many hardcore large fan bases that are as dedicated as SEC school fans are.

I don't see it happening anytime soon but I think ultimately our best bet to ever become a cash cow program is to get out of the ACC & try to do it on our own as an independent or join in with the Big XII, although that's probably never going to happen.
Football drives the network contracts and ACC just doesn’t have enough big time football as the other conferences. The gap is only going to get even bigger when SEC inks there new TV with ESPN in a few years.

Wish we would’ve, he gave my cousin that he was dating, HIV up here in Knoxville..
If you live in Knoxville, you know the narrative all too well. I’ve lived 120 miles NE of there for 35 years and heard it the entire time. They’ve got a huge fan base and booster network with deep pockets. They live way in the past because the current hasn’t been that good. They’ll be all in for 3 or 4 years but without an SEC championship, let alone a natty, the natives will get very restless.

Advertisement
Back