WR Coach Kevin Beard

I am thinking more likely the players were expecting a snow bunny or two after practice.
ad1c4256ad2151c4a7392dcd378f6992.jpg

Go Canes
UM should seriously consider investing in those heels she's wearing, they may be able to save some money on the foundational supports for the new Football building lol...

Advertisement
You basically get Candle at a discount lol. KB worked with him for 6 years. That’s a plus in my book if Candle was who CMC really wanted.

That sounds right. It was such a long time ago. I don’t ever recall Paterno being an actual possibility. I’m sure you remember about Lubich, I think he was the last guy we offered before we went to Dallas to get Butch, who had never been a head coach before if I remember correctly.

Yes. At the time I thought Lubick had made a big mistake, but he really liked being at CSU.

Advertisement
Okay, I can respect all of that, but let's be real.

Beard was at Toledo. We recruit a different set of guys than Toledo. So no matter what a recruit says, they would've had very limited contact with Beard. That's no disrespect to him, it's just the way it is.

So recruits saying something is likely the product of so and so asking them about a coach hired and they say whatever complimentary thing comes to mind. Tweets work the same way, they pay respect to all kinds of coaches.

If they're considering us at all, they might pop off about whatever. I wouldn't pay it any mind, but they'll get to know him more and more as he settles into things. Same with the OC I doubt many even knew existed prior to here. With Beard, he's known (even if it's, oh yeah, I remember that guy) but I can guarantee that when someone would say there's the Toledo WR coach they react differently than it's the OSU, Bama, and **** even out coach. When they would've possibly seeTn or met him when he stopped by campus.

Gotta handle 2 for 3 or even 1 to matter.
All I see is CIS as a bunch of star whores. Some say they are not impressed with KB, but they couldn't even name 5 WR coaches.

I posted a question that I will ask again. What is the difference in a Hartline at OSU and Beard? I use Hartline as the example because he is perceived as the best WR coach in the business.

Can anyone even elaborate?

This is my view. CIS would go nuts if Mario had somehow hired Brian Hartline away from OSU to be the WR coach at UM.

Hartline is a product and beneficiary of an established program with an established coach known for his recruitment and development of QBs.

When you have those things in place, it's a heck of a lot easier to recruit top WRs. Those top WRs are going high in the draft. However, they wouldn't have that opportunity without Ryan Day's offense and the elite QBs running it.

Could Hartline have done that if he were coaching at Toledo? **** NO. Hartline isn't turning water into wine. He's taking elite WRs and showing them the ropes of WR play at its highest level. He isn't the only WR coach who can do that.

My point is that the success of a coach is much about the state of the program he is working in, the skill level of his group, and skill level of the complementary positions. This is why a school like Alabama can bring in any position coach and still recruit that position at a high level. They're going to look like great coaches because of the elite players in their position groups who are surrounded by other elite players at complementary positions.

I'm optimistic about KB because I know he's a technician. His guys should see plenty of success in the Dawson air raid offense coupled with an elite passer in TVD. The success in 2023 should open the door for KB to recruit at an elite level like an OSU or Alabama.

Last edited:
Beard was at Toledo. We recruit a different set of guys than Toledo
I get what you are trying to say, but I still have to disagree. We are looking for the same set of guys: Young, hungry football players who want to be great.

Is the talent level different? Sure. Does that mean Kevin Beard can't handle big boy recruiting? No. He was at Tennessee and Georgia. He knows whats up.

I see a lot of posters saying Beard is a different coach than he was a few years ago because he's gained more experience under different coaches. I wonder if Randy Shannon and Manny Diaz will be welcomed back with open arms in the future...

Art Power GIF by Google Arts & Culture
I'd take Al Golden back as a TE coach in a heartbeat if that was ever an option

Advertisement
At least during the Golden years when Beard was here our WRs were physical enough to effectively block during a screen play.

I think that had more to do with the type of player we had 10yrs ago, but in general I agree.

There is nothing more frustrating than watching a 3 on 2 scenario get blown up because Mallory or Brinson or Smith missed their block.

Advertisement
I get what you are trying to say, but I still have to disagree. We are looking for the same set of guys: Young, hungry football players who want to be great.

Is the talent level different? Sure. Does that mean Kevin Beard can't handle big boy recruiting? No. He was at Tennessee and Georgia. He knows whats up.
he was at tenn for 1 season same as he was here for 1 season. he spent most of his career in ohio

All I see is CIS as a bunch of star whores. Some say they are not impressed with KB, but they couldn't even name 5 WR coaches.

I posted a question that I will ask again. What is the difference in a Hartline at OSU and Beard? I use Hartline as the example because he is perceived as the best WR coach in the business.

This is my view. CIS would go nuts if Mario had somehow hired Brian Hartline away from OSU to be the WR coach at UM.

Hartline is a product and beneficiary of an established program with an established coach known for his recruitment and development of QBs.

When you have those things in place, it's a heck of a lot easier to recruit top WRs. Those top WRs are going high in the draft. However, they wouldn't have that opportunity without Ryan Day's offense and the elite QBs running it.

Could Hartline have done that if he were coaching at Toledo? **** NO. Hartline isn't turning water into wine. He's taking elite WRs and showing them the ropes of WR play at its highest level. He isn't the only WR coach who can do that.

My point is that the success of a coach is much about the state of the program he is working in, the skill level of his group, and skill level of the complementary positions. This is why a school like Alabama can bring in any position coach and still recruit that position at a high level. They're going to look like great coaches because of the elite players in their position groups who are surrounded by other elite players at complementary positions.

I'm optimistic about KB because I know he's a technician. His guys should see plenty of success in the Dawson air raid offense coupled with an elite passer in TVD. The success in 2023 should open the door for KB to recruit at an elite level like an OSU or Alabama.
so now were at the point of comparing toledos WRC to the perceived best WRC in the country (or at least one of?). again, the OC matters a whole lot more as you said with Day, but the spin im seeing is hilarious. go back to the beard golden threads in 2015. make sure to keep the opinions straight this time. fact is we settled on a backup plan to the backup plan bc hes a miami guy. id rather get a young up and comer and beard while he isnt bad by any means hasnt been going upward since starting out at UM under goldens staff. his career stayed stagnant. either way, if the O sucks, it wont matter who the WRC is so it is what it is.

Was thinking that Mario obviously wanted Candle as OC because there are aspects of his system that he likes and meshes with what he wants on offense. Getting a guy familiar with Candle's system and a former Cane passionate about the program and local guy familiar with the recruiting territory is not a bad deal.

Advertisement

You go under the radar, but you have some of the worst porsts imaginable. This whole thing was trash and I only read 1st two paragraphs.

so now were at the point of comparing toledos WRC to the perceived best WRC in the country (or at least one of?). again, the OC matters a whole lot more as you said with Day, but the spin im seeing is hilarious. go back to the beard golden threads in 2015. make sure to keep the opinions straight this time. fact is we settled on a backup plan to the backup plan bc hes a miami guy. id rather get a young up and comer and beard while he isnt bad by any means hasnt been going upward since starting out at UM under goldens staff. his career stayed stagnant. either way, if the O sucks, it wont matter who the WRC is so it is what it is.
I think you're expecting a little too much out of a WR coach. Consider the names tossed around here: Tiquan Underwood, Lonnie Galloway, Hankerson, Keith Williams. Which of those guys is positioned to be an OC or HC in the next 2-3 years? So, I understand that Beard may not be s*xy, but I'm not sure that's the pool of coaches that seamlessly transition to OC as easily as say a QB coach/whisperer.

edit: wait s e x y is now being censored?! LOL. WTF.

Advertisement
Back