WR Coach Candidates

I don't think I've ever seen a head coach advocate for someone/anyone to offer one of his coordinators a head coaching job stronger than Andy Reid did like seconds after the Super Bowl ended. Repeatedly gave all the credit for the offensive scheming that won the game to Bieniemy.

But heyyyyyy....let's hire Jonathan Gannon! A 40 year old with 1 year as a DC under his belt.
the issue is his past. its gonna red flag him every time.

Advertisement
@Cribby can you confirm that Miami is in touch with Galloway for WR coach? I wanted to hear it from another source before I got my hopes up
Haven‘t heard him but that doesn’t mean they haven’t been. The few guys I’ve mentioned have wr coaching experience and they interviewed. Maybe it was for other jobs but I’m just putting two and two together. I’m sure there’s other guys.

Haven‘t heard him but that doesn’t mean they haven’t been. The few guys I’ve mentioned have wr coaching experience and they interviewed. Maybe it was for other jobs but I’m just putting two and two together. I’m sure there’s other guys.

You think this gets wrapped up this week?

Advertisement
Tcu has both inside/outside. As always thanks for your input.

Agreed. Currently, all three of their coordinator-level coaches double up as a position coach too.

I'm not saying it's a forever-impossibility, I'm just pointing out that it is hard to do and would be more practical if the NCAA changes up the rules.

I still haven't heard whether Guidry will cover a position. And we still have 2 DL coaches. So we've got a ways to go on this.

But, hey, it would be a great split for Coley and someone else. I'm not against the idea on principle, I just think that we'd have to make a couple more moves to make it happen.

I'm not gonna wholesale disagree with you, but the first sentence is provably incorrect. Yes - there's an innate level of talent you have to have to catch the ball as a WR, but one of the guys we're talking about as the next WR coach (Hankerson) overcame his own issues with drops during his time at UM. He had to go outside of the building and work with Mark Duper to do it, but he worked his butt off and overcame his drops and had a really good career at UM as a result.

^^^ And if you haven't seen the videos, there's more on Mark Duper's YT channel of him working with Hankerson...wasn't just this news piece on TV.

Honestly - if Hankerson can recruit at the dog level you mentioned (which I agree wholeheartedly with), then that along with what Hankerson has gone thru himself plus his NFL experience in San Fran makes him my personal pick. I think Hankerson could be the DVD of the offensive side of the ball recruiting-wise...projects that way to me...and we didn't know DVD could recruit like he has when he first came on board either.

Everything else in your post about the system, Hartline/Day, etc...I agree with you on.

I seen that video. U said 1 guy. How many guys simply know how to catch the ball and how many learn it? Did Bama teach Julio, Cooper, Jeudy and Devante Smith etc to catch or they had it. Did Richt teach Ahmmon Richards to catch, did Golden teach Coley and Hurns? U can go on and on. Yes there are players who can learn certain hand positions, concentration techniques etc, which is usually the issue, but most of the time they already know how to catch the ball outa high school.

Advertisement
Reid said the day after the super bowl that Bieniemy saw in a game against the Jags the Eagles' trait about handling a receiver in motion and how poorly they did it and from that game he drew up the play that scored two touchdowns (Toney and Moore). impressive.

And isn't that the same play (receiver in motion reverses and goes back to where he came from) that was spotlighted in a video showing a play that Arroyo called for Oregon?

Advertisement
Do you guys think Mario still uses Compuserve to email candidates? Betamax to watch tape? Drinks TAB instead of bubbly water? Said **** off to the iPod and still uses a Walkman, calls 305-888-8888 for a cab instead of Uber?

Dude you legit just @ me twice in under 10 minutes. Go outside.

Are you gonna cry?

I don't think you know the difference between @ing someone and simply responding to a horrible porst.

And you have made some HORRIBLE porsts on this thread.

Don't be mad at me for your ****** porsts.

the issue is his past. its gonna red flag him every time.
I don't doubt that's a distinct possibility but (unless I'm missing something) it is also a beyond rich view for the NFL to seemingly have as a whole.

Same league that gives Deshaun Watson a trillion guaranteed dollars, has the likes of Dan Snyder and Jer-ruh Jones as owners but then are gonna clutch their pearls over Bieniemy running up misdemeanor charges 20-30+ years ago? Please.

Advertisement
You are implying he'd be getting pushed out. Fair enough.. but that's your OPINION. The facts are he interviewed, his wife & kids live in Miami & this is his alma mater. (matters to some) You might be right but you can't call it 0% chance. Giant assumption presented as fact.

Not sure about you guys, but if my wife and kid lived in Miami and I worked in SF and someone wanted to give me a 50% raise to come home, it's a no-brainer. I'd walk there. Especially if I was already a multimillionaire. Family is #1. Personally I'd take HALF to be with my family, let alone be paid more. He has four kids. It must eat him alive being away so much. He will always have his successful run at SF on his CV and can jump back to the NFL (Dolphins? TB? Jax? ATL?) later if he wants. Or progress in CFB where salaries and bidding wars are currently out of wack.

It probably should be two jobs. Inside receivers coach and outside receivers coach.
That's more a "true" Air raid principle (and even a little old school). Then they take their Y's and lump into OL or working with the inside WR coach. But if you want to really utilize the TE in this O, then you should have a dedicated coach to the position.

I was listening to Furman and that other guy this morning. Coley out. He wanted the OC job not the position job

Good if true. I don't think Coley is a particularly good coach but he's definitely an asset as a recruiter. Wouldn't be mad if he was hired as WR coach but not thrilled.

I was listening to Furman and that other guy this morning. Coley out. He wanted the OC job not the position job

i ran into mario at Casa Cuba this morning at 6am after my half marathon run and he confirmed that Coley wanted the OC job. Mario said that he reached into his pocket and showed Coley the picture below and proceeded to call him Jabroni in Spanish/Cuban.
yearby.PNG
Case closed!

Advertisement
Back