WR Coach Candidates

In fairness, who didn't?
Dan Mullen….

dave chapelle chapelle's show GIF

Advertisement
It’s not about me, you continuously do this in every single thread with multiple people on this site which ruins this place. I love going back and forth with people on site and I have learned a lot about life, football, and the canes on here. Some really smart people on this site, but whenever you think you’re right you don’t engage in healthy conversations, it’s a flexing of your ego exercise for you.

You can keep deflecting. The issues reside with you and maybe one day you’ll be man even to face it. Maybe this is the only place you feel respected and heard. Maybe you’re overcompensating for the loneliness, disrespect, and disregard you feel in the real world.

Look, you can try to turn this around on me. I get it, it's what you are going to do, regardless.

But waxing poetic about all the life lessons you've learned on CIS doesn't change the fact that you ****-posted twice in a row, and all I did was comment on that. Now, you can try to boostrap that into me "starting a fight with you", but you must be some kind of self-centered dope to think that I care about you one bit, to the point I would "start a fight with you". I DON'T KNOW YOU AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU.

I just said that your theory of "Hankerson interviewing with UM so that someday in the future a potential employer would call someone who interviewed Hank FOR A JOB RECOMMENDATION" was one of the most ridiculous speculative things I've ever read on the board.

And it wasn't personal. I didn't say "here's another BostonCanes47 load of bullcrap". I just pointed out the silliness of the words themselves.

Just be honest. You took it too personally. You don't know me, but somehow you think I had the motivation "to pick a fight". Go pull all your prior posts if you think I have made a habit of going after your posts. You won't find anything unusual.

How about you try this. Look in the mirror and read your post out loud to yourself. If you can't figure out how ridiculous it sounds, then fine, blame me.

Me: Brian Hartline has an amazing personality that recruits love. You better be able to talk that talk and have that “it” personality or he is going to kill you on the trail.

CIS: Brian Hartline struggles to even talk socially to people.

People that cover Hartline for a living:

Ohio State wide receivers coach Brian Hartline has always had an engaging personality and had a good career as a WR at OSU and in the NFL. He’s also young (35) and energetic,

On a conference call with reporters, Hartline was asked how much he sells his NFL career when speaking with recruits. He offered a charismatic response, as usual.

Look, you can try to turn this around on me. I get it, it's what you are going to do, regardless.

But waxing poetic about all the life lessons you've learned on CIS doesn't change the fact that you ****-posted twice in a row, and all I did was comment on that. Now, you can try to boostrap that into me "starting a fight with you", but you must be some kind of self-centered dope to think that I care about you one bit, to the point I would "start a fight with you". I DON'T KNOW YOU AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU.

I just said that your theory of "Hankerson interviewing with UM so that someday in the future a potential employer would call someone who interviewed Hank FOR A JOB RECOMMENDATION" was one of the most ridiculous speculative things I've ever read on the board.

And it wasn't personal. I didn't say "here's another BostonCanes47 load of bullcrap". I just pointed out the silliness of the words themselves.

Just be honest. You took it too personally. You don't know me, but somehow you think I had the motivation "to pick a fight". Go pull all your prior posts if you think I have made a habit of going after your posts. You won't find anything unusual.

How about you try this. Look in the mirror and read your post out loud to yourself. If you can't figure out how ridiculous it sounds, then fine, blame me.

Attachments

• D13E3E7C-5F1E-4476-8EA2-7A976BDBDD5C.gif
    D13E3E7C-5F1E-4476-8EA2-7A976BDBDD5C.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Advertisement
This is just silly.

Literally everybody college football reporter and recruiting insider that writes articles about Hartline all say the same thing:

He’s fun, energetic, engaging. They all say it’s easy to see why, *personality* wise, he’s a beast on the trail, even if you aren’t in the room with the recruits to see it for yourself.

People pretending like he’s Howard Hughes or something are just spinning a false narrative.

@mossmadness vs. @1murhurricane who you got? Tough call. 🤔

Also,

@PIPO

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 12.27.02 PM.png

Last edited:
not a scheme guy so don't hate... Does Hank have any Air Raid or similar experience/mentors that he's been under? If not, how hard is the adapting for a WR coach to coach up on a new style?

One of the selling points of the Air Raid has always been how easy it is learn, largely because of how few plays are in it.

Lincoln Riley talks about how Leach would spend an entire practice just running one single play.

Kurt Benkert said the same thing about playing under Riley at ECU when Riley was running more of the pure Air Raid than he does today.

It’s an idiot proof offense. Or is suppose to be. So really any WR Coach should be able to teach it.

Advertisement
I'm not an X and O's person but it's been frequently said our route patterns are FUBAR and our receivers are raw regarding any route concepts (among other things). That being the case, the next WR coach has to have knowledge of the patterns needed to effectively run Dawson's offense and experience developing receivers in those concepts. While Dawson may help, he'll have his hands full coaching up the QBs.

While I understand candidates are primarily considered for recruiting purposes, it's a mistake to overlook the development aspects considering we're installing a new offense with spring camp starting in two weeks (as we're frequently reminded).

This is just silly.

Literally everybody college football reporter and recruiting insider that writes articles about Hartline all say the same thing:

He’s fun, energetic, engaging. They all say it’s easy to see why, *personality* wise, he’s a beast on the trail, even if you aren’t in the room with the recruits to see it for yourself.

People pretending like he’s Howard Hughes or something are just spinning a false narrative.

I hear you. But "fun" and "energetic" and "engaging" are not the same as "silver tongue". And when you demand some sort of evidence on Hankerson, don't you realize that "fun" and "energetic" and "engaging" could be used to describe him too?

There are a couple of other posters who have cited specific examples of interacting with Hartline, and they certainly do not describe him in the terms that you do with "silver tongue". And that's fine, I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just asking how you came to the conclusion you did on Hartline, while trying to compel people to give more detailed descriptions on Hankerson.

That's all. Some of this is speculative and projection-oriented. Clearly RIGHT NOW I can't hand you the same list of WR recruits landed by Hank than we can for Hartline. But I also think it is inaccurate to project certain attributes onto Hartline while not allowing for similar projection for Hankerson.

I'm not sure that anyone has called Hartline "Howard Hughes". But the man has some challenges that he has to overcome, and he also has some incredible non-personal attributes (Ohio Taint program, facilities, success, and track record of draft choices) that also help to offset his limitations.

You'll see in my prior posts that I like Hartline a lot. I like Hank a lot. I'm not trying to compare/contrast, I just don't think that Miami is LOCKED INTO giving Coley the WR coaching role simply for his recruiting. We just landed a Top 10 class with Mario being (almost) the only recruiter, so any improvements that he can hire will help. I just don't think we have to go "all-or-nothing" in comparing Coley to Hank for one particular job. Hiring Hank, even if we lost Coley, would still bring in more WRs than we got under Gattis (particularly over the past 6 months).

Advertisement
Advertisement

Look at how NFL coaching/front office circles are run. It’s networking. Not saying Hanks full intent was to use the Miami interview, if there was even one to use as a reference down the road.

The point which happens all the time in NFL circles when coaches take interviews for jobs they know they aren’t going to get because it’s get them face time with powerful people and helps them build a connection. Look at the patriots, everyone and their mother knew they were bringing back Bill o brien, but people still lined up to interview with Bill because now bill knows them and their capabilities. Say a GM or another head coach ask Bill in casual conversation what he thinks of a coach, bill can now say oh yeah we interviewed him for our OC job a few years ago, bright dude, he just wasn’t ready.

For hanks situation, Alonzo is clearly respected in NFL circles and I’m sure still gets asked about players and coaches. Hank could leverage his FaceTime with Alonzo to help build his reputation. Or it’s simply hey I love Miami, this isn’t the right time, glad we got to talk, maybe we can circle back in a few years. Now Mario and Alonzo know Hank.

Reputation and networking building.

One of my business professors told us he would interview for companies just to learn about their interviewing and hiring process and to network with them even though he had zero interest in taking the position

I'm not an X and O's person but it's been frequently said our route patterns are FUBAR and our receivers are raw regarding any route concepts (among other things). That being the case, the next WR coach has to have knowledge of the patterns needed to effectively run Dawson's offense and experience developing receivers in those concepts. While Dawson may help, he'll have his hands full coaching up the QBs.

While I understand candidates are primarily considered for recruiting purposes, it's a mistake to overlook the development aspects considering we're installing a new offense with spring camp starting in two weeks (as we're frequently reminded).
It’s a simple offense to pickup and it’ll be much easier for them to grasp than the last guy. Especially qb’s and wr’s. They’ll be off and running with this.

Of all the assistant coach hires Miami has to make to me this is the most important one. We absolutely cannot continue to lose the alpha dog receivers from South Florida.

*I know everyone here knows this. I just needed to type it out. Carry on.

Yep. The checkbook needs to be opened up to get the best recruiter money can buy.

Anything else, the ability to “teach and develop” is a distant second to that. Especially in an Air Raid. I will worry about J. Smith not being able to learn the 5 passing plays in the offense, once he’s on campus.

Advertisement
Back