WR Coach Candidates

Actually yes. He suffers from panic attacks. I wasn't going to put his business out there but since you brought it up...
Someone else has mentioned this on the board, only reason why I brought it up. I know it’s personal and I try to stay away from posting things like that, but I believe it was during ESD when the whole HC interviews were going around

Advertisement
I’m just saying what I’d prefer not what they’ll actually do. I’ve been on the Spencer Whipple train for a year. If it’s me I bring him in as wr coach co OC. That’s just me though, I doubt Mario does that.
Lol saying doubt is like bringing it to existence.

It probably should be two jobs. Inside receivers coach and outside receivers coach.

Uhhhhh...yeah, maybe in the NFL.

Until the NCAA rules change, football coaching slots are at a premium, and that's really not feasible. We already have special teams being handled by an "off-field coach".

Advertisement
Eric Bieniemy would like a word with you.
I don't think I've ever seen a head coach advocate for someone/anyone to offer one of his coordinators a head coaching job stronger than Andy Reid did like seconds after the Super Bowl ended. Repeatedly gave all the credit for the offensive scheming that won the game to Bieniemy.

But heyyyyyy....let's hire Jonathan Gannon! A 40 year old with 1 year as a DC under his belt.

WR either can catch or they cant. You can teach them things to get open. But the #1 thing to showcase a WR is a OC thats gonna scheme up plays to get them the ball. We had 2 undrafted WR leading us under Lashlee and TVD went crazy. Thats gonna be the biggest recruiting tool bar none. TVD dropping bombs. Chris Johnson is gonna go crazy in this offense two btw. Im waiting on Dawson to see what he does. His resume is a mix bag. But i seen what TVD does in this type of offense. Even in the UNC game and start of UVA he was going off running those RPO. We are gonna pick up another outside target, im fairly optimistic about what the offense will look like.

Give me a WR coach who is a dog on the trail.

Hartline gets credit for recruiting WRs, Day is the one who should get most of it, stuff he done with Fields and Stroud. WR know whoever is at QB, yards and TDs gonna be put up. We get back to that and we aint losing too many battles.

I'm not gonna wholesale disagree with you, but the first sentence is provably incorrect. Yes - there's an innate level of talent you have to have to catch the ball as a WR, but one of the guys we're talking about as the next WR coach (Hankerson) overcame his own issues with drops during his time at UM. He had to go outside of the building and work with Mark Duper to do it, but he worked his butt off and overcame his drops and had a really good career at UM as a result.

^^^ And if you haven't seen the videos, there's more on Mark Duper's YT channel of him working with Hankerson...wasn't just this news piece on TV.

Honestly - if Hankerson can recruit at the dog level you mentioned (which I agree wholeheartedly with), then that along with what Hankerson has gone thru himself plus his NFL experience in San Fran makes him my personal pick. I think Hankerson could be the DVD of the offensive side of the ball recruiting-wise...projects that way to me...and we didn't know DVD could recruit like he has when he first came on board either.

Everything else in your post about the system, Hartline/Day, etc...I agree with you on.

Advertisement
I don't know if there has ever been a case where a position coach made as much as the coordinator, but UM should make Hartline a ridiculous offer. Have to at least take a shot. I think he would pay for himself immediately with the number of top WRs he'd reel in.

I believe we did already, and he didn't bite. Honestly smart of him. He can make $1.5M or whatever guaranteed indefinitely there coasting at his alma mater where he's comfy with a bunch of WR1's that make him look better than he is and wait to parlay that into a 5-year $25M HC gig somewhere at some point and be SET.

Last edited:
Connections to Miami and Mario - Coley and Hankerson

Connections to Dawson - Lonnie Galloway (UNC) - connection from West Virginia 2011-2014, Desmond Lindsey (Southern Miss) - connection from USM 2016 and 2017

3 of the 4 are proven recruiters. Galloway and Lindsey are both recruiters and good coaches. Coley is TBD on his coaching chops at WR. Hankerson is a good coach and would likely recruit very well.
Well done

is Hank a rumor or real? i dont see him taking a step down to coach here after having the same position in the NFL with one of the best teams in football.

its legit. All of these guys already know who the WR coach is but they're waiting for it to be official. I think its Hankerson

its legit. All of these guys already know who the WR coach is but they're waiting for it to be official. I think its Hankerson
I would think the rest of the staff is filled out relatively quickly, hopefully by the end of the week. WR coach, TE (if needed), RB, and still expecting a change at secondary. Not sure about the D-line.

Advertisement
I get it’s Miami and it’s his home, but my man would be a complete idiot to leave San Fran and unhitch his wagon to Kyle Shanahan and Deebo. All hank has to do is have a pulse for the next 2-3 years and he probably get a NFL head coaching gig if San Fran keeps winning

I love it. We have one guy ripping Hank to UM because "no evidence of his recruiting", and we have other posters talking about how Hank is about to get an OC or HC job, even though there is "no evidence of his playbook and/or administrative duties".

Hank is an enigma. Nobody can figure out what his next job will be or why.

I'm not sure you've met Hartline before. He doesn't talk an insane game. He actually is not great socially... what he does do a great job of is talking about player development and bringing up over and over and over the WRs who have come through OSU and the fact "you'll be the next one" Zack Smith was a better recruiter as far as talking than Hartline

You mean @mossmadness doesn't know what he is talking about with his "silver tongue" storyline? Shocking...

Advertisement
Hankerson is an A+ hire. Miami Grad who had success on the field, improved tremendously and got himself drafted, played in the league, then got into coaching and works under the smartest mind in football.

Kids will want to play for him.

This board is literally debating whether the young, smart, successful, hungry (and black - yeah, it matters) WR coach for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers, a guy with CFB coaching and recruiting experience, who oh, also played at UM and knows the territory, who, oh, also went to STA, one of the arguably three most important HS' we recruit... is qualified to be WR coach here. Before he even opens his mouth he's a half mile ahead of everyone in recruiting because of his CV.

Nothing is guaranteed, but the upside is 10x the downside IMO.

Never change, CIS. Never change.

I meant recruiting; what are you talking about?

Sorry, I was talking about the three-month-long storyline of Mario not hiring any coordinators who would "challenge him", and how we needed to hire coordinators who would "challenge Mario".

If that's not what you intended, my apologies.

I don't think I've ever seen a head coach advocate for someone/anyone to offer one of his coordinators a head coaching job stronger than Andy Reid did like seconds after the Super Bowl ended. Repeatedly gave all the credit for the offensive scheming that won the game to Bieniemy.

But heyyyyyy....let's hire Jonathan Gannon! A 40 year old with 1 year as a DC under his belt.
Reid said the day after the super bowl that Bieniemy saw in a game against the Jags the Eagles' trait about handling a receiver in motion and how poorly they did it and from that game he drew up the play that scored two touchdowns (Toney and Moore). impressive.

A lot of coaches use an interview today to get their name out there to benefit them for an interview tomorrow.

Say Hank goes for a Head coaching job or OC job, someone from the team, if they do their due diligence and have a connection to Alonzo will call Zo for an opinion on him. Zo can say well we had him in for an interview 2 years ago and loved him. That positive recommendation doesn’t happen if he doesn’t play the game and do interviews for jobs he doesn’t want. And you never know, could have taken it due to legit interest or to appease his wife

I gotta say...this is a new one...

Getting a recommendation from an interviewer for a job that wasn't offered and/or taken...

1676475396633.jpeg

Advertisement
Back