Worst set of DE’s since Manny has been here..

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's 6'4" 265 pounds. IMO, starting him at end and moving him inside as he bulks up is a good way to utilize his skills and let him develop a thorough understanding of how to play across the line.
schitts creek agree GIF by CBC

The best versions of Manny's D included sub-300 lbs DTs (McIntosh in 2017 & Willis in 2018) routinely swimming past opposing OGs and blowing plays up. We haven't had that type of production at DT the past couple years, although Silvera did flash quite a bit in 2020. I'd rather see Taylor rotate with Silvera, Hunte and Roberts at DT than ask him to learn a new position. If DE is his quickest route onto the field then so be it, but we need better production from our DTs and I'm not counting on Ford and Miller to deliver that. In Simpson we trust.

Last edited:
I expect Harvey to step up and be at least as good as garvin was. He looked really good in the bowl game. They say he's 245 but he looks like he's at least 255. He looked bigger than QR last year. D. Johnson will be way more productive in our system than Tennessee's. I'd expect at least 7 sacks from him. Cam needs to gain some weight. Needs to get to about 250. He's got some pass rush talent. He had a weird year where he started off good but just disappeared. We need chantz to push for that 3rd de. He's big enough,he's fast enough and dog gone it Jesse Simpson needs to like him. If he develops we'll be good. I guess we'll talk about everybody's favorite Zach McCloud. I actually think he looked decent at de. He had 5 pressures against ok state. If he comes in and plays 15-20 snaps I think he can be productive. He's not a 3 down de though.

Overall I think we have enough to be productive at de. I think we'll rotate more than last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey/Johnson have more sacks than Phillips and roche did last year. That doesn't mean I think they'll be better. There's much more to a de than sacks

Advertisement
Agree and Chantz is no slouch athletically.
He's as fast as any DE we've had here in 20 years. However, I don't know that he's going to get a lot of snaps this year, so didn't focus on him. Also, I've been hesitant about Chantz since we signed him in terms of whether he can handle the line duties - I get he's fast and that works in HS and camp settings. Wonder whether he's more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 DE. We'll see. Hope he destroys folks.

I expect Harvey to step up and be at least as good as garvin was. He looked really good in the bowl game. They say he's 245 but he looks like he's at least 255. He looked bigger than QR last year. D. Johnson will be way more productive in our system than Tennessee's. I'd expect at least 7 sacks from him. Cam needs to gain some weight. Needs to get to about 250. He's got some pass rush talent. He had a weird year where he started off good but just disappeared. We need chantz to push for that 3rd de. He's big enough,he's fast enough and dog gone it Jesse Simpson needs to like him. If he develops we'll be good. I guess we'll talk about everybody's favorite Zach McCloud. I actually think he looked decent at de. He had 5 pressures against ok state. If he comes in and plays 15-20 snaps I think he can be productive. He's not a 3 down de though.

Overall I think we have enough to be productive at de. I think we'll rotate more than last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey/Johnson have more sacks than Phillips and roche did last year. That doesn't mean I think they'll be better. There's much more to a de than sacks

McCloud has 0 football instinct. His role should be in 3rd down packages where his only objective is to rush the passer. You can stand him up and blitz him and move him around the line but if he's being asked to diagnose run/pass he's not going to be successful. In the bowl game he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off a good amount of the time. Getting spring reps in as well as summer camp he should get a little more comfortable but 15 snaps a game should be his max. Anything more than that and we're asking him to do too much.

Advertisement
Harvey and Johnson (if Johnson's what people think) is a legit DE set. I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey ends up as good or better than any DE we've had not named Rousseau since Campbell. He got caught behind Roche and Phillips as a frosh.

Cam will be a solid legit player for us, I believe. Maybe better than that. Very good size, agility, arms. That's our top 3. Then we got Chantz, LT, maybe Blissett or Roberts if needed. And McCloud. We'll be fine at DE. Hopefully they'll manage to set the edge properly. That's what the team needs.

Inside, we have guys, we just need a couple to have their step-up seasons. Nesta, Ford, Miller, Hunte, Roberts ... let's see who is legit.

It's anywhere from a decent DL to a very good one. It's not great. But probably some of these guys have NFL careers and looking back, there will be a thread about 'look at the '21 DL.'

McCloud has 0 football instinct. His role should be in 3rd down packages where his only objective is to rush the passer. You can stand him up and blitz him and move him around the line but if he's being asked to diagnose run/pass he's not going to be successful. In the bowl game he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off a good amount of the time. Getting spring reps in as well as summer camp he should get a little more comfortable but 15 snaps a game should be his max. Anything more than that and we're asking him to do too much.
Well of course he was lost. He played lb for 5 years. He played de for what a couple weeks. Just remember I listed him last for a reason. If he's higher than that I'm going to be disappointed. That'll mean cam or chantz didn't step up and that won't be good

The best versions of Manny's D included sub-300 lbs DTs (McIntosh in 2017 & Willis in 2018) routinely swimming past opposing OGs and blowing plays up. We haven't had that type of production at DT the past couple years, although Silvera did flash quite a bit in 2020. I'd rather see Taylor rotate with Silvera, Hunte and Roberts at DT than ask him to learn a new position. If DE is his quickest route onto the field then so be it, but we need better production from our DTs and I'm not counting on Ford and Miller to deliver that. In Simpson we trust.
The king of moving guys to other positions they've never played before now wants to keep a player at his original position? It's a sad day here.
As a rotational end, we could do worse. As long as all we ask him to do is stick to his single assignment, he can be a serviceable end. But yeah, 10-15 snaps a game to spell the regulars should be his ceiling.

Advertisement
Neither Ivins nor Lake know anything about Football.

Harvey is set to be the next up that will breakout the same way Garvin & Rousseau did after they became the full time starters. People just don’t seem to understand that eventually you have to develop talent, which means sometimes guys who haven’t played a lot will be put in a position where they will play a lot & when you’ve seen over the last 4 years is nothing but good productivity at DE, then it’s pretty clear the system we run is conducive to having guys step up & maximize their ability.

Jahfari had 4.5TFL’s last year all while not logging more than 20 snaps a game until the OK State game. GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s, again the system creates productivity along the line because of the style of play with the DL’s focus mainly being predicated on getting upfield vertically & stunting heavy between the gaps.

We also have a ton of Depth, Jahfari Harvey, Deandre Johnson, Cam Williams, Elijah Roberts, Chantz Williams, Jason Blissett, Quentin Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford, Jordan Miller, Jalar Holley, Leonard Taylor, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis & Allan Haye (although I don’t think the TF’s will play that much if at all), plus Zach McCloud is supposed to be moving to DE as well this season.

We have more than enough players who can get the job done.

im excited to see what Hunte can do w a full season. him getting taken out for covid really hurt us imo

LT is starting out at de , y’all sleeping on this unit. There’ll be more depth than last year. Especially with the youngsters making a jump.

I mean we literally played our DEs MOST of the snaps last year so there has to be more depth for sure.

On paper at least.

I was listening to podcast Lake and Ivins said this.

2016-Chad Thomas/ Joe Jackson
2017-Chad Thomas/Jackson/ Harris
2018-Joe Jackson/Jon Garvin
2019-Greg Rousseau/Jon Garvin
2020-Roche/Phillips

They are not wrong on paper at least.

I do think Deandre can be more effective here in this scheme than Tennessee.

I also expect Harvey and Williams to make a jump in their 3rd year.

thoughts? I’m thinking Jess can maximize this group I also think the DTs can help.

And Joe Burrow is a 5th round draft pick.

Advertisement
Back