Worst set of DE’s since Manny has been here..

Advertisement
Ivins has some terrible takes for sure, doesn’t know much football I just thought it was interesting topic.

Doesn’t like Donaldson at guard, even though PFF ranked him our best OL in 2019. Think Stevenson is a slot CB, even though he transferred to Miami so he wouldn’t be a slot CB, keeps hyping up Lashlee to UCF, thinks Miami should only sign 17-18 high schoolers per year to hold 7 spots for transfers moving forward.

I forgot about the Lashlee thing. The guy needs to become a National writer and let Gabby takeover for him.

I’m excited for both the C Williamses. Cam had some flashes last year. Chantz hasn’t had much opportunity yet, but his athleticism is impressive. Hopefully it clicks for him with a full spring and summer.

I loved Harvey coming out of HS. Chantz too. All are Miami caliber.

Despite all that, even with the UTn transfer, I think we’re going to miss Phillips and Roche. They were better than the scheme made them appear.

I do think our DTs help out so overall should be fine. But the DEs will take a step back.

Advertisement
I don't know if they'll be individually better, but I sure hope they're positioned more consistently than last year. Bunch of dudes flying upfield, placed into games/stunts/twists, and often unable to set an edge. Like a wonderland for some opponents.

Harvey is the key guy. He needs to break out. I also want to a step forward from Chantz. He’s the best physical talent in the room.

Second this but I could also see JHH making a big leap at DT. Will be really necessary considering everyone aside from Nesta is pretty unproven.

Seems like we have a bit more speed and less size than years' past.

Advertisement
On paper at least.

I was listening to podcast Lake and Ivins said this.

2016-Chad Thomas/ Joe Jackson
2017-Chad Thomas/Jackson/ Harris
2018-Joe Jackson/Jon Garvin
2019-Greg Rousseau/Jon Garvin
2020-Roche/Phillips

They are not wrong on paper at least.

I do think Deandre can be more effective here in this scheme than Tennessee.

I also expect Harvey and Williams to make a jump in their 3rd year.

thoughts? I’m thinking Jess can maximize this group I also think the DTs can help.

2016 (5*) Thomas / (4*) Jackson

2017 (5*) Thomas / (4*) Jackson/ (3*) T Harris

2018 (4*) Jackson / (4*) Garvin

2019 (3*) Rousseau / (4*) Garvin **

2020 (3* G5) Rochè / (5*) Phillips

2021 (4*) Williams / (4*) Harvey ??

** Greg didn’t start; (3*) Patchan did for the first 3 games.

I gotta disagree w/ Ivins; per 247 rankings this wouldn’t be the worst. Unknowns? Yes; but we could say last season was full of unknowns (e.g How would a G5 DE fare against better comp? How would Phillips play after the injuries?)

Right now, on paper, we look to keep it moving, but clearly we have experience issues here than before; but have a lot of potential

JUST PLEASE DON'T LET US SEE 53 PLAYING MORE SNAPS THAN CHANTZ.
If 53 plays any meaningful amount of time, this will be a very long unpleasant season. If anything, move him back to LB and let T Wil work with him.

Agree Chantz has the most upside and think that he may be the next DE superstar.

Advertisement
I know it’s cool to call people a mope if they are anything but overwhelmingly positive.

you are not worried because you think Jess is the truth. He has not shown that, but that may be the case and I happen to think he will be a true technician as a coach. So I may agree there.

you are also not worried because we have “plenty of young talent”. In my opinion what we have is a lot of potential. In the NFL potential is what gets people fired. I know this isn’t the NFL but I’d feel a lot better if some of that potential was previous production.

I’m optimistic but concerned if that makes any sense.
I hear you, but the big time schools go through this every single year. Clemson loses a stud DL to the NFL each year. Are they ****ing in their pants about whether they will have someone step up and produce the following year? Nope. And when you're recruiting and developing correctly, you shouldn't.

Now I know you're thinking 'Well, we ain't Clemson.' True. But we've got to start demanding year after year productivity. It should be the norm at Miami that studs each year get drafted Day 1 and are then replaced the following year by guys who will also be drafted Day 1.

Also, let's keep it real. We said the same thing last year about Phillips. He was about as unknown and unproven as it gets. Dude was emaciated at like 210 pounds coming in after **** near hanging up his cleats for good. If anyone would have told me he was going to have the year he had and position himself as a First Round pick, I'd say they were high.

Last edited:
Neither Ivins nor Lake know anything about Football.

Harvey is set to be the next up that will breakout the same way Garvin & Rousseau did after they became the full time starters. People just don’t seem to understand that eventually you have to develop talent, which means sometimes guys who haven’t played a lot will be put in a position where they will play a lot & when you’ve seen over the last 4 years is nothing but good productivity at DE, then it’s pretty clear the system we run is conducive to having guys step up & maximize their ability.

Jahfari had 4.5TFL’s last year all while not logging more than 20 snaps a game until the OK State game. GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s, again the system creates productivity along the line because of the style of play with the DL’s focus mainly being predicated on getting upfield vertically & stunting heavy between the gaps.

We also have a ton of Depth, Jahfari Harvey, Deandre Johnson, Cam Williams, Elijah Roberts, Chantz Williams, Jason Blissett, Quentin Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford, Jordan Miller, Jalar Holley, Leonard Taylor, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis & Allan Haye (although I don’t think the TF’s will play that much if at all), plus Zach McCloud is supposed to be moving to DE as well this season.

We have more than enough players who can get the job done.
I’d say this..with Greg and Joe jack and Neo Garv THEY ALL FLASHED. And that was before their 3rd years in the program. Joe Jackson as a true fresh. Garvin as a true fresh. Greg as a RS Fresh.
Cam, and Harvey especially, have not. So going off what we’ve seen, nothing about them has shown glimpses of what the previous set of guys did. So on paper, yes going into the year this is first year where edge rush is a huge question mark to see who emerges based solely on production

going off just the quote without context it’s disrespectful but I listened to the pod cast earlier and they were going over the 2 deep. Rush end does have a question mark by it, there’s no question, they highlighted the guys have talent but just unproven production to this point. If Harvey isn’t showing strong flashes in the spring and is just among the pack per se I think it’s gunna be 53 and deandre starting day1..

let’s not forget Neo, Joe jack and Greg were absolutely tearing it up in the spring before each of their breakout szns. So if their isn’t buzz from scrimmages of at least 1 of the youngins emerging I’ll be worried for sure...i ultimately look forward to seeing chantz

as far as depth I agree it’s intriguing. Just unproven rn

Advertisement
Feel like a lot of the success the DE's have will be partly predicated on what happens at DT, specifically with Nesta. If he can become a consistent, dominant force, it will really help out the more green DE's on the roster.

From my point of view, we're looking at probably the best DT rotation top to bottom in years.
I feel the opposite on that. I feel edge guys always makes interior guys easier in pass rush situations. Creates more 1on 1s and forces the QB to step up if you have sum dominate guys off the edge.
DT wise we have a few grown youngmen on the inside. All we need Simpson to do it get them to play more discipline

On paper at least.

I was listening to podcast Lake and Ivins said this.

2016-Chad Thomas/ Joe Jackson
2017-Chad Thomas/Jackson/ Harris
2018-Joe Jackson/Jon Garvin
2019-Greg Rousseau/Jon Garvin
2020-Roche/Phillips

They are not wrong on paper at least.

I do think Deandre can be more effective here in this scheme than Tennessee.

I also expect Harvey and Williams to make a jump in their 3rd year.

thoughts? I’m thinking Jess can maximize this group I also think the DTs can help.
I mean, we were in the same boat with GR15. We had no idea he would have that big of an impact. Leggo Harvey. We need him bad.

I hear you, but the big time schools go through this every single year. Clemson loses a stud DL to the NFL each year. Are they ****ing in their pants about whether they will have someone step up and produce the following year? Nope. And when you're recruiting and developing correctly, you shouldn't.

Now I know you're thinking 'Well, we ain't Clemson.' True. But we've got to start demanding year after year productivity. It should be the norm at Miami that studs each year get drafted Day 1 and are then replaced the following year by guys who will also be drafted Day 1.

Also, let's keep it real. We said the same thing last year about Phillips. He was about as unknown and unproven as it gets. Dude was emaciated at like 210 pounds coming in after **** near hanging up his cleats for good. If anyone would have told me he was going to have the year he had and position himself as a First Round pick, I'd say they were high.
1-pretty sure I have not ****ed myself yet.
2- we can demand whatever we want, that doesn’t make it happen. You need the horses and right now I’m not sure we have the players. We might, but anyone who is confident we have them may be kidding themselves.

the good news in my opinion is that manny seems to be aware that the priority needs to be recruiting and he hired some real alpha dog recruiters that will stock the roster if given time.

also- a lot of us had very high expectations coming into last season for Phillips. There was so much chatter about his freak athleticism. I know I was concerned about him staying healthy but I felt better about him than anyone we have now by a long shot.

Advertisement
Back