Worst set of DE’s since Manny has been here..

gacaneaddict

Junior
On paper at least.

I was listening to podcast Lake and Ivins said this.

2016-Chad Thomas/ Joe Jackson
2017-Chad Thomas/Jackson/ Harris
2018-Joe Jackson/Jon Garvin
2019-Greg Rousseau/Jon Garvin
2020-Roche/Phillips

They are not wrong on paper at least.

I do think Deandre can be more effective here in this scheme than Tennessee.

I also expect Harvey and Williams to make a jump in their 3rd year.

thoughts? I’m thinking Jess can maximize this group I also think the DTs can help.

Advertisement
On paper at least.

2020-Roche/Phillips

thoughts? I’m thinking Jess can maximize this group I also think the DTs can help.

I don't think its fair to call them the worst. Thats premature. Certainly the most unproven and inexperienced.

Last edited:
On paper at least.

2020-Roche/Phillips

I think there will be a drop-off at DE, clearly (Phillips is a 1st rd talent and Roche is draftable), but not necessarily for the overall performance of the DL. The DE's in all likelihood won't be in 24/7 "pin ears back" mode, and some edge setting and lane discipline are in order. Hopefully Simpson can develop technique and instill fundamentals with the '21 group; for all their talent last year's DE's were kind of one trick ponies in terms of strictly speed rush, without an array of moves. Need some fundamentals and technique to succeed against quality opponents. Do think the DT's will jump under Simpson's tutelage, so overall maybe a net gain - especially if the LB's are given a semblance of protection by the DL.

Advertisement
Neither Ivins nor Lake know anything about Football.

Harvey is set to be the next up that will breakout the same way Garvin & Rousseau did after they became the full time starters. People just don’t seem to understand that eventually you have to develop talent, which means sometimes guys who haven’t played a lot will be put in a position where they will play a lot & when you’ve seen over the last 4 years is nothing but good productivity at DE, then it’s pretty clear the system we run is conducive to having guys step up & maximize their ability.

Jahfari had 4.5TFL’s last year all while not logging more than 20 snaps a game until the OK State game. GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s, again the system creates productivity along the line because of the style of play with the DL’s focus mainly being predicated on getting upfield vertically & stunting heavy between the gaps.

We also have a ton of Depth, Jahfari Harvey, Deandre Johnson, Cam Williams, Elijah Roberts, Chantz Williams, Jason Blissett, Quentin Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford, Jordan Miller, Jalar Holley, Leonard Taylor, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis & Allan Haye (although I don’t think the TF’s will play that much if at all), plus Zach McCloud is supposed to be moving to DE as well this season.

We have more than enough players who can get the job done.

Comparatively speaking end to tackles to end, what do you think our defensive line is going to be like in 2021 vs the last few years. I know that’s a tough question because it’s going to be green, but say towards the end of the year once they’ve gotten a little dirt rubbed in their faces.

Comparatively speaking end to tackles to end, what do you think our defensive line is going to be like in 2021 vs the last few years. I know that’s a tough question because it’s going to be green, but say towards the end of the year once they’ve gotten a little dirt rubbed in their faces.
Much better than last year & around the same level as 2018.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Feel like a lot of the success the DE's have will be partly predicated on what happens at DT, specifically with Nesta. If he can become a consistent, dominant force, it will really help out the more green DE's on the roster.

From my point of view, we're looking at probably the best DT rotation top to bottom in years.

Its true.. Guys have to step up and prove themselves..

Hopefully this doesnt turn into pope type hype from last year, lets let the guys who have to step up and earn their hype.. We have nfl bookends, and both seem to be 1-2 round picks, with our last couple years playing with NFL quality ends there will be a drop off.. It happens.. The scheme is such we should still be able to get pressure but what they are saying is not wrong.. Those other guys better step up..

Advertisement
Sure guys will need to step up but Johnson has produced and will here.

Harvey finally played starter snaps against Ok State and the guy had a monster strip sack.

Chantz Williams will have a FR Jon Garvin impact at MINIMUM.

I hope these guys are paying attention to the underestimating by many.

It’s tackling fuel!

Advertisement
Back