Worst set of DE’s since Manny has been here..

Can we relegate Ford and Miller to GL/SY?

Silvera, Hunte, Roberts, Blissett, Taylor, Holley are twitchy.

Advertisement
I agree. People need to stop thinking about replacing individual talent and think of it as replacing total production from the position. You don’t need two All Americans to get the same production we got from the DE position last year. We could certainly use an upgrade in fundamentals, especially against the run, and I think Simpson will bring that. Stroud is a good recruiter and his work with Jaelan Phillips’ pass rushing moves was commendable but the overall sloppiness and lack of discipline on the defensive line was really bad last year.

What you’re saying makes sense, but it is only human nature to think of the talent that’s leaving and naturally think it’s going to be hard to replace. It is good to hear these perspectives, though.

Neither Ivins nor Lake know anything about Football.

Harvey is set to be the next up that will breakout the same way Garvin & Rousseau did after they became the full time starters. People just don’t seem to understand that eventually you have to develop talent, which means sometimes guys who haven’t played a lot will be put in a position where they will play a lot & when you’ve seen over the last 4 years is nothing but good productivity at DE, then it’s pretty clear the system we run is conducive to having guys step up & maximize their ability.

Jahfari had 4.5TFL’s last year all while not logging more than 20 snaps a game until the OK State game. GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s, again the system creates productivity along the line because of the style of play with the DL’s focus mainly being predicated on getting upfield vertically & stunting heavy between the gaps.

We also have a ton of Depth, Jahfari Harvey, Deandre Johnson, Cam Williams, Elijah Roberts, Chantz Williams, Jason Blissett, Quentin Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford, Jordan Miller, Jalar Holley, Leonard Taylor, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis & Allan Haye (although I don’t think the TF’s will play that much if at all), plus Zach McCloud is supposed to be moving to DE as well this season.

We have more than enough players who can get the job done.
It's different being the backup than the starter.

JHH looked like he was going to be a superstar when he was subbing in. Once he became the starter, he didnt dlash the same.

I'm not saying Harvey and JHH wont become beasts, but I expect some drop off from what we've had in the past reccently

While it's generally true that DTs don't always make a big impact their freshman year, Bresee and Davis from Clemson made All-ACC in their first season. Lawd knows those hillbilly media voters had something to do with it but some players are gifted naturally and Taylor seems to fit that mold. I think we'd be wasting his talents on the edge but I'll defer to Simpson and Diaz on that one.
Bresee was the no.1 kid in the country and played like it. He’s got an incredible future it looks like to me.

Advertisement
Fair enough. People are always talking about the next man in with great hope that next year is the year. GR15 kind of came out of no where so maybe one of our many Williams can do the same. That said the whispers of what a freak JP15 was were very loud and QR was a guy that had shown production on the field. We don’t have that IMO. Hopefully someone bursts out. I liked the flashes I saw from Cam early on but he seemed to slow down a little as the season progressed.

then again I’m a moron so I’m likely wrong.
Yeah, I’m a moron, too...and I’m senile to boot.

But I’m still not worried.

We need the younger players on DL to step up big time. We have some talented guys in the group. We just don't have a proven star at the D1 level (like Rousseau) that's expected to return and get 10+ sacks again. Simpson will have to do a great job getting this group ready...especially for Bama.

Advertisement
Neither Ivins nor Lake know anything about Football.

Harvey is set to be the next up that will breakout the same way Garvin & Rousseau did after they became the full time starters. People just don’t seem to understand that eventually you have to develop talent, which means sometimes guys who haven’t played a lot will be put in a position where they will play a lot & when you’ve seen over the last 4 years is nothing but good productivity at DE, then it’s pretty clear the system we run is conducive to having guys step up & maximize their ability.

Jahfari had 4.5TFL’s last year all while not logging more than 20 snaps a game until the OK State game. GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s, again the system creates productivity along the line because of the style of play with the DL’s focus mainly being predicated on getting upfield vertically & stunting heavy between the gaps.

We also have a ton of Depth, Jahfari Harvey, Deandre Johnson, Cam Williams, Elijah Roberts, Chantz Williams, Jason Blissett, Quentin Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford, Jordan Miller, Jalar Holley, Leonard Taylor, Jabari Ishmael, Thomas Davis & Allan Haye (although I don’t think the TF’s will play that much if at all), plus Zach McCloud is supposed to be moving to DE as well this season.

We have more than enough players who can get the job done.
Glad Jess Simpson is back, too. He can finish the job with guys he signed here.

Nothing against Stroud, but he wasn't well and the group did suffer.

People are sleeping on Harvey without recognizing that he was a Red Frosh last year that played sparingly & still produced.

He was a rotational backup & still had 16tcks 4.5TFL’s & a sack despite only one start last year which was OK State.

In every other game he played, he had less than 20 snaps in every game because he was behind Phillips & Roche.

- Garvin only had 9tcks & 3TFL’s his Freshman year, the next season he had 60tcks & 17TFL’s.

- Rousseau had 5tcks before getting injured in the LSU, after coming back off a torn ACL as a Red Frosh had 54tcks 19.5TFL’s & 15.5 sacks.

- Jaelan Phillips after being out of Football for 2 years & having to completely redefine his physique & nearly 40lbs had 45tcks 15.5TFL’s & 8 sacks

- Chad Thomas after spending his first 2 years in D’No system only had 25tcks 2TFL’s & 1 sack, once playing in this Defense he finished his final 2 years with 41tcks 23TFL’s & 9 sacks

- Joe Jackson finished with 35.5TFL’s & 22.5 sacks in 3 years in this system.

People are insane if they think Jahfari Harvey isn’t going to produce, the system creates productivity.

Fans just think if you don’t have a player who has already had 10 sacks then there’s no way any of the guys we got can step up & produce. Jahfari Harvey was not some run of the 3-star diamond in the rough, he was a 4-star with a 91 rating who was productive in HS playing on a championship caliber Defense against very good comp.

I’m not as all in on Cam Williams yet, I think he has very good potential & can be another good Miami DE, but Harvey is without question the next up & as I said before, I GUARANTEE he will have 10-15TFL’s this season (barring injury).

Plus DeAndre Johnson will thrive in the Quincy Roche/Trevon Hill role in this Defense.

I’m unsure of Jess Simpsons overall recruiting ability in terms of him being able to land big time stars, but I have 0 doubts about his coaching acumen & his ability to maximize the potential of our DLine & get the best out of them. When Simpson was first here in 2018 we had an extremely stout DLine, we lead the nation in TFL’s, 3rd down conversion % & was top 3 in sacks & had the #4 total Defense overall, that was the year Gerald Willis had 18TFL’s, Garvin had 17TFL’s, Joe Jackson had 8.5TFL’s, even Shaq had 14 & Pinckney had 11.

I’m not worried about the DLine at all, I’m less worried about the LB corps with TWill now coaching them & I’m a lot more optimistic about the CB & safety group with TRob leading the way (as long as Ivey & Carter don’t start lol)
Agree on everything you said...also in agreement im not all in on cam williams. He flashed early on and then as the year went on he was toast. He is weak ..seen him get bullied around alot. As he adds some strength i expect him to be a problem. He should be a good rotation guy this year.

Harvey in a camp weith JESS SIMPSON was unblockable. And that was against guys that currently play for us and UF currently as well as other div 1 tackles. I think we see 5+ sacks quite easily with no injuries from him

Advertisement
LOL . . . so that McCloud could! That was pretty **** disappointing. A LB turns DE a couple weeks before the bowl game and gets snaps ahead of guys that have been second or third string all year. I don't recall snap counts, but it seemed that McCloud got reps ahead of Harvey and Cam Williams too.
yes he did another head scratcher

Advertisement
Agree on everything you said...also in agreement im not all in on cam williams. He flashed early on and then as the year went on he was toast. He is weak ..seen him get bullied around alot. As he adds some strength i expect him to be a problem. He should be a good rotation guy this year.

Harvey in a camp weith JESS SIMPSON was unblockable. And that was against guys that currently play for us and UF currently as well as other div 1 tackles. I think we see 5+ sacks quite easily with no injuries from him
I could see him breaking out well above that level. We’ll see. He’s got the quickness to be a problem for a bunch of the guys he goes up against. My worry is can we set edge and run defend, but I expect Simpson to fix some of that.

Redshirt Freshmen Harvey and Cam Williams have been in the system for 2 seasons and may know the ropes better than projected senior starters McCloud & Johnson, neither of whom possesses any experience playing 4-3 DE.

I got to speak with John Campbell a few weeks ago and he said Harvey is a dude and should be fill right in for the guys that left. I also asked about Payton and he said he was hampered with a leg injury this year
I’m just not seeing it

Hopefully he proves me wrong

The top 3 DE’s need to be Harvey, Cam & DeAndre.

If McCloud is eating up snaps at DE then whoever is in charge of rotations on Defense is doing it wrong.

Chantz, Elijah Roberts & Quentin need a lot of reps this year & they need to be developed.

7th year Seniors need to sit their asses on the bench & wave a towel around in the 4th quarter to help rally the troops.

We cannot keep stunting the growth of our young talented players by turning them into Gargoyle statues on the sideline all year while 7th/8th/9th/10th year Seniors take all the pivotal reps making mistakes all game long but constantly getting the benefit of the doubt because “eXpErIeNcE bRo!”

Attachments

• giphy-downsized.gif
    giphy-downsized.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Advertisement
Back