Worked out with James williams yesterday with GoldFeetGlobal #AlphaDawg

Advertisement
Good to see how fit JW is. He looks ready to go. ... I was actually worried about him getting too big because I didn't think he was a in-the-box type player. He's a ball hawk and strategist, not a thumper. So if he had bulked up too much, it would have put him in that hybrid no-man's land that almost always ends badly. It's clear he's a pure safety. Steele has to love the trio back there.

Advertisement
He is a true S is getting single high reps all first week of spring. The couch coaches lost this one lol
Let’s see if the staff has this same energy in a year or two.

I’m curious, what differentiates you from being a “couch coach?”

I will hold my judgement until he show in game that he has the speed to cover plus be in proper position.
Thank you. i love Williams potential, and admittedly he was a true freshman last season, but there was more than one time that he was beat to the sideline for a long play. That will improve over time as his speed improves and more importantly, his understanding of the correct angles to take on a college field as opposed to high school. But I’m not ready to crown him just yet. Even at UM he has some touch comp with Tae and Kam.

And I’m biased because I am close to the Hamilton family, but I’m not calling James the next Kyle Hamilton until JW is making a major difference every game as Kyle did.

I saw the rest of his family. I don't think that's the frame of an "under-developed 18 year old", I just think it's his family's body type. If he evolves into a LB down the road a few years, so be it, but I think it was a Manny mistake to try to put rapid weight on him as a freshman.
Manny has no understanding of athletic
Myself I see him as a prototypical bookend. That kid would have a LONG CAREER AND MAKE A KILLING AS AN END
he strikes me as Micah parsons in terms of versatility with more length and better in coverage than strength at this stage.

He could easily hit a second growth spurt that stacks on slabs and then his hips would likely give him elite pass rush skills.

Today he strikes me as a guy who can play center field and also get in the box and give QBs fits with blitz or bail optionality

Advertisement
Thank you. i love Williams potential, and admittedly he was a true freshman last season, but there was more than one time that he was beat to the sideline for a long play. That will improve over time as his speed improves and more importantly, his understanding of the correct angles to take on a college field as opposed to high school. But I’m not ready to crown him just yet. Even at UM he has some touch comp with Tae and Kam.

And I’m biased because I am close to the Hamilton family, but I’m not calling James the next Kyle Hamilton until JW is making a major difference every game as Kyle did.

James Williams will not throw away his shot.
1647460637240.png

Manny has no understanding of athletic

he strikes me as Micah parsons in terms of versatility with more length and better in coverage than strength at this stage.

He could easily hit a second growth spurt that stacks on slabs and then his hips would likely give him elite pass rush skills.

Today he strikes me as a guy who can play center field and also get in the box and give QBs fits with blitz or bail optionality
I wouldn't argue anything there except the Micah comparison. I've known that boy for a sec now and he's a different breed. Main ingredient that separated kids like that from each other is a mental approach. What they use as motivation. I'm not gonna speculate on either situation but I'll just say the ONLY person I've ever seen that shared Micah's approach to this game(what motivated him) was someone who's widely loved or hated on here and that Willie Williams...

So hopefully we can officially end all this "He needs to move to LB" talk once and for all.
I'm not one for a move to LB, but certainly packages that bring him closer to the line. Coming off the edge, middle blitzes, fake blitz drop into coverage and replacing a LB playing Kam, Avantae and Jim, with him more a striker or whatever Steele calls it.

Advertisement
I got blasted by one of my boys on here for saying this (looking at u @gogeta4), but w/ J Will’s size, he reminds me of “collegiate” Taylor Mays, which is a compliment. Ppl forget, Mays was a 4.4 guy at 6’3+, while being a 1st team All-American 3 straight yrs (Sophomore - Senior yrs). I think Williams is a better athlete, which puts me in mind of Hamilton from ND, since he did play some WR.

But the notion of him being a LB w/ his frame, iono bout that one. I agree w/ @Brooklyndee about questions regarding his fluidity. I mentioned that in his recruiting thread that was one of my concerns, but there’s no doubt w/ the natural tools he has he can play the position.

He flashed really well last season, coupled w/ some freshman mistakes. I hate to use NFL player comparison, but I would use him like Seattle used Kam Chancellor in his prime. To me, he’s the ultimate joker card where we can have him play deep, in the box, blitz off the edge. He just looks like a FB player. Excited about both him & Kinchens. Yes I know Avantae is back there too, but Kam & James feels more ying & yang than Kam/Avantae or Avantae/James.

Advertisement
I’ve said it before, but this dude should be moving around the defense every play. Make the QB find him. He can play the deep safety, but it would be a complete slap in the face to the football gods to not take advantage of his versatility. I want blitz packages, everything he can handle mentally.

I wouldn't argue anything there except the Micah comparison. I've known that boy for a sec now and he's a different breed. Main ingredient that separated kids like that from each other is a mental approach. What they use as motivation. I'm not gonna speculate on either situation but I'll just say the ONLY person I've ever seen that shared Micah's approach to this game(what motivated him) was someone who's widely loved or hated on here and that Willie Williams...
Where do the coaches like Jwill? What’s the convos they are having with him. I think when it comes to DBs you’re prob the most qualified to speak on it so not questioning your judgement but I’d love to see a freak out there at safety like he is.

Advertisement
Back