Worked out with James williams yesterday with GoldFeetGlobal #AlphaDawg

I sat in the row behind his family at the UM-Alabama game. That's when I knew the "bulk him up and play him at LB" stuff was insanity. His entire family is lean and tall, ****, I could barely see the game! Incredibly nice people, the whole family. Super-excited when James got in for the second half.
Wasn't much to see with that game. Lol.

Advertisement
he was pushing 230 last year but looks like he has lost some weight

Maybe by the end of the year, but at the beginning of the year, he definitely weighed less. He walked over to where his family was during the Alabama game, and I was definitely hoping he would get into the game at some point, that's just some true uncoached talent and size.

Advertisement
He is a true S is getting single high reps all first week of spring. The couch coaches lost this one lol
I think any of the couch coaches who atleast know what's going on (atleast myself)only speak about longevity when a position switch is discussed. That's first and foremost his health long term & secondly what his body is towing to grow into. Unless you believe he's always going to have the frame of an under developed 18 year old. He's literally going to have one **** of a fight on his hands just to stay in football shape and not outgrow his position. I have my concerns about his fluidity as well but that he can always get better at with coaching.

I think any of the couch coaches who atleast know what's going on (atleast myself)only speak about longevity when a position switch is discussed. That's first and foremost his health long term & secondly what his body is towing to grow into. Unless you believe he's always going to have the frame of an under developed 18 year old. He's literally going to have one **** of a fight on his hands just to stay in football shape and not outgrow his position. I have my concerns about his fluidity as well but that he can always get better at with coaching.

I saw the rest of his family. I don't think that's the frame of an "under-developed 18 year old", I just think it's his family's body type. If he evolves into a LB down the road a few years, so be it, but I think it was a Manny mistake to try to put rapid weight on him as a freshman.

He strikes me as the next evolution of single high safety. As defense move to 425 versions you can do a lot if have a single high safety who’s can cover deep zone and has the size to go man against the 6’4” basketball tighteneds. The “nickle” hybrid cover DB can be the 5’10” twitchy guy who covers the slot.

My personally opinion is we see a move to length at the single high as man defending continues to bring flags but a long center fielder who can fly = more area denial.
I wouldn’t call say he is the next evolution because most guys his size not gone move the same way. He’s just outside the norm imo.

Advertisement
I've seen him on a couple instances. He's a long, lean kid. He is every bit the 6'4" or 6'5" he is listed at. He has that basketball player physique. I don't know for certain, but I'd bet his wingspan is impressive.

Anyways, I hope folks on here stop speculating about position changes and just enjoy him. If he lives up to the hype, he won't be here past next season so let's just enjoy what he brings to the program.

To me its more about maximizing potential & impact vs saying he cant be a safety. I do think he can play single high safety at a high level but I happen to think he could play more an Isaiah Simmons hybrid LB/DB position at an elite level.

You always want to be the biggest/fastest/strongest that your body will allow (without compromising other areas) and figure it out from there. If your a freak, be a big freak not a skinny one.

I wouldn’t call say he is the next evolution because most guys his size not gone move the same way. He’s just outside the norm imo.
Williams is a top tier athlete, but there’s a couple of big boy safety’s in this class. Weatherford from Miami Ohio is one under the radar. He probably gets moved to a nickel role / subpackage LB but the thesis is he will be **** in zone due to length.

Hamilton is probably the closest comparison in CFB today and he’ll get used all over.

Most 6’3” and over guys who can run like James go to wide out but I suspect more of those guys with less than ideal hands get moved as having 5 DBs let’s coaches experiment with positional body types.

Advertisement
To me its more about maximizing potential & impact vs saying he cant be a safety. I do think he can play single high safety at a high level but I happen to think he could play more an Isaiah Simmons hybrid LB/DB position at an elite level.

You always want to be the biggest/fastest/strongest that your body will allow (without compromising other areas) and figure it out from there. If your a freak, be a big freak not a skinny one.
Some freaks don’t put on weight in ways that add to their natural attributes.

Would still love to see some sub packages that can get James all over the field, but the dude is 100% safety all day. Create a player type athlete, so fuggin excited to see his progression with this staff

Same here. With the way he moves, I still see a S. But, like Isaiah Simmons, he should be all over field, not just sitting in single-high all game. We have real, experienced, coaches who have impressive resumes. I'm going to put my faith in Steele, Strong and Addae to figure out how to best maximize our talent. All I ask, keep Chase, JWlliams, Tae, and any of our ultra-versatile defenders on the field. No more subs for the sake of subbing.

Some freaks don’t put on weight in ways that add to their natural attributes.
Agreed, thats why I said what their bodies allow without compromising other areas. If he cant gain weight and maintain his athleticism then thats a completely different situation than if he is purposely trying to hold his body back and stay lean to remain an over the top safety.

But in the end, its his decision not ours. Just makes for interesting message board discussion

Advertisement
I saw the rest of his family. I don't think that's the frame of an "under-developed 18 year old", I just think it's his family's body type. If he evolves into a LB down the road a few years, so be it, but I think it was a Manny mistake to try to put rapid weight on him as a freshman.
He's been pushing 210+ since he was a freshman at Pace bursting onto the scene.

He has been working to stay lean to be a DB since HS. He's a great deep safety.

He also has more facets to his skill set and potential that can allow him to be a great deep safety and move around and do a lot of different things like a Derwin James does.

He isn't Ray Ray Armstrong that is best served on just focusing on being a modern OLB. But he can be value add in a lot of different roles for UM and into the future. I'm fairly confident he will be 230+ pounds in the NFL.

I sat in the row behind his family at the UM-Alabama game. That's when I knew the "bulk him up and play him at LB" stuff was insanity. His entire family is lean and tall, ****, I could barely see the game! Incredibly nice people, the whole family. Super-excited when James got in for the second half.

View attachment 179686

View attachment 179687
have we offered his siblings and dad yet?

What position do u think he should be playing? People talk about hybrids like Isaiah Simmons. But even Simmons eventually settled on a permanent position.

Advertisement
Back