Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

No matter what happens there will be ill-will over this. My take away from the newest remarks is that Ruiz is implying he may be trying to get Wong set up with other NIL support, in addition to his Life Wallet contract. That's really all he can do. It's up to Wong to sell himself and negotiate.... I would hope he would do this with new representation. I wonder what number he has in his mind as his "value"......

Keep quiet, seek other sponsors and hope you get drafted....
Fire agent. Hire new agent. Keep quiet, seek other sponsors and hope you get drafted....

Advertisement
It’s Ova

This is ugly...........now if Wong stays Coach L is caught in the middle.
Cane fans will be all over Wong. The team will wonder how intense Wong will be playing or everything he does will be critiqued and the pressure on him will be huge.
He needs to pack his sh** and go on down the road. The Miami adventure is ended and time for all to move on.
There is no going back in this sh** show....

Cane fans will be all over Wong. The team will wonder how intense Wong will be playing or everything he does will be critiqued and the pressure on him will be huge.
He needs to pack his sh** and go on down the road. The Miami adventure is ended and time for all to move on.
Or fans can realize this negative consequence and be well fans……and support the program…

Advertisement
He had to... they were calling him out for the difference in $$. Dumb move... like some NBA rookie accusing team management of rustling
I mean I get that.. I don’t think he had comment per se. Admittedly I haven’t read the whole article yet..wongs side tryna get more money..I just wish it was kept in house man. This is the new world of college sports and I hate it. Kids should get their money but there needs to be some regulation imo

Hope he can be on the team with a genuine attitude and play for the team. Otherwise just move on. Good on Ruiz not caving

You’ve got to be kidding.

Good to hear that Wong is backtracking. Pretty sure before the ultimatum he was gonna get more deals elsewhere. I hope last nights fiasco doesn’t stop that from happening. You live and you learn. Shame on the adults advising him

Advertisement
This is even dumber than the dumb nole who said he’d transfer if he didn’t get an NIL deal. Wong just negotiated a 6 figure deal and is threatening to walk if he doesn’t get more.

I don’t blame Wong btw — I blame he’s stupid spineless agent. Even if it was Wong’s idea this guy should’ve said no and told him to find other representation. This is a HORRIBLE look for Miami and jeopardizes every one of Miami’s and LifeWallet’s athletes.

The agent is an absolute idiot who is biting the hand that feeds him. Wong is understandably frustrated by getting a lesser deal than the new guy, but his agent is a moron for handling it the way he did.
Completely agree with everything but the bolded. I don’t think this effects Miami negatively at all. This is 100% on Wong/agent. Miami did nothing wrong and will not suffer in the least for this, in fact we just survived a “first of its kind” moment perfectly intact. There are many, many boosters who would’ve crapped the bed over Wong’s stunt and retaliated in kind.

While I don’t love all the publicity Ruiz has brought, he handled this publicly like a pro. Much respect for his efforts on this.

I have other issues with the precedent this might set but I also think you're overestimating how cognizant the average Canes Hoops fan is of anything in April and what the reaction fellow athletes (both college and pro) actually is when personal money is the issue.

Bright side (relatively speaking)- this will absolutely happen in manyyyyy other places sooner rather than later too.

E$PN gonna E$PN. They actually had the balls to ask Wong’s agent if the NIL deal had been agreed upon with any involvement from Larranaga or the coaching staff. Unbelievable! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

These ******’s are trying to bring down Miami Athletics with a quickness.

Thankfully the agent stood firm and said that there has been zero involvement from the staff on any NIL deals that he’s been a part of involving Miami.

I can’t stand these corrupt vultures.

Last edited:
Advertisement
E$PN gonna E$PN. They actually had the balls to ask Wong’s agent if the NIL deal had been agreed upon with any involvement from Mario or the coaching staff. Unbelievable! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

These ******’s are trying to bring down Miami Athletics with a quickness.

Thankfully the agent stood firm and said that there has been zero involvement from Mario and staff on any NIL deals that he’s been a part of involving Miami.

I can’t stand these corrupt vultures.
You meant Larranaga, right? Mario coaches a different sport.

As soon as I saw the terms of Pack's contract go public I knew this would create jealousy and issues in the locker room. Even though he meant well by it, in my opinion this was a mistake by Ruiz, but he's right to not cave to this kid's demands (even though his hands may now be tied legally anyway given the pay-for-enrollment/play implications); I like Wong as a player and he seems like a good kid, but you can't establish a precedent that gives them too much leverage. Either way, his agent definitely ****ed up in the way this was handled, 100% should have been discussed behind the scenes.
Reality is its not Ruiz's job to manage the locker room and player jealousy, this is just an unfortunate side effect of NIL. Coach L is benefitting MASSIVELY by Ruiz, he would have never got the 2 transfers, he needs to manage and deal with it. By stating Omar's $400k/year deal publicly Ruiz generated tons of buzz/clicks for his LifeWallet business (which legally is the point of NIL...) and sent a clear signal to the entire college sports world that Miami has $$$ and will pay.

And yes, Agent is a moron and scumbag who should be fired and blacklisted by UM asap / not sign-off on any future NIL deals done by him.

Advertisement

Yeah, I disagree with pretty much all of that. To each their own I guess, but I have no problems welcoming him back (mostly because I wasn't mad about what he did in the first place).

Ruiz called his bluff, Zay folded, the end. It doesn't have to be personal.

Advertisement
Back