Wiltfong on the portal....

Advertisement
FSU took that from UNC's playbook. I studied it from Lincoln Riley offensive scheme at OU when i called plays as OC. Its called the GT counter with a down blocking scheme backside. They leave the playside DE free in order to kick him out or let him over committ and it also causes confusion with LB's in terms of play flow. We was lost in space all game.
Yeah I was going to say UNC killed us with that then everyone after them ran it. But FSU came through and said f it, they can’t stop it and ran it ALL NIGHT on us! Crazy! We lined up unbalanced with the counter side strong side DE inside shade of the Tackle and nowhere near the TE! They literally didn’t have no one on the outside and the pulling guards went to the corners and safety right away! I could not believe my eyes!! Steele is not a good DC man! Tries to get too cute and it almost always backfires.

Yeah I was going to say UNC killed us with that then everyone after them ran it. But FSU came through and said f it, they can’t stop it and ran it ALL NIGHT on us! Crazy! We lined up unbalanced with the counter side strong side DE inside shade of the Tackle and nowhere near the TE! They literally didn’t have no one on the outside and the pulling guards went to the corners and safety right away! I could not believe my eyes!! Steele is not a good DC man! Tries to get too cute and it almost always backfires.
Nothing but a Journeyman...

Advertisement
you have to as a coach be very careful how you use the portal if you are trying to build culture and team chemistry like Mario wants to. Mercenaries only care about the money, not loyalty to the cause or mission.
Exactly... Kirby made a mention of this after the game on Saturday. HE said we are doing this with zero portal kids..He wanted it to be clear the players love playing for each other

Lmao @ DT being number one! Our DTs would be all conference if we won more games and if they weren’t rotated so much. They’re both top notch. The game we got ran all over, FSU; they ran counter with Two pullers all night and the other side crashed down on the DTs whole night. Good way to neutralize them and since our LBs can’t fill and scrape they could not stop it. The pullers are taking on our play side DE and LBs not there to turn it back inside. We good there I think with many young beasts. We could take rotational guy but it’s a luxury not a need. But at the other three spots you listed.. sheesh we need help there!!!!

Who are the young beasts? We are talking about needs for the future, not our current situation.

LT and 6 are both likely gone after next season, and this is Miller’s last year as well and I would count on JHH being here maybe one more season max, he almost left last off season. We have Allan Haye and Moten behind them, that’s it. Don’t know what you have seen to label them “young beasts” already. DT is 1000% the top remaining need. We need 2+ legit bodies and a portal guy who can play immediately.

Last edited:
What's his dorm room #? - @HurricanePhilly
200w.gif

Exactly... Kirby made a mention of this after the game on Saturday. HE said we are doing this with zero portal kids..He wanted it to be clear the players love playing for each other
Maaaan the same Kirby that took Cager from us as their leading receiver that year? Or the one that had the #2 portal class in 2020 with Tre McKitty, 5*JT Daniel and Jamie Newman?

Or the one that took Tykee Smith (current starting S), former 5* Derion Kendrick currently playing in the NFL, or 5* Arik Gilbert?

His team has transfers, they have portal kids, they did not have a need to go in the portal in 2022 is what he meant.

While I think he has a valid point, a team full of one year mercenaries can only go so far (I think of Kentucky who always seems to sign the best basketball recruits but they are all 1 and done and while good, they have 1 NCAA championship since 1999) his statement is still BS that they are doing it with "zero" portal kids.

Advertisement
I saw that has a poke to a certain program that they believe in the kids they recruit and develop and just showing that they haven't slowed down on the field.

The difference between reloading and rebuilding. Georgia in a different place than Miami.

Advertisement
Maaaan the same Kirby that took Cager from us as their leading receiver that year? Or the one that had the #2 portal class in 2020 with Tre McKitty, 5*JT Daniel and Jamie Newman?

Or the one that took Tykee Smith (current starting S), former 5* Derion Kendrick currently playing in the NFL, or 5* Arik Gilbert?

His team has transfers, they have portal kids, they did not have a need to go in the portal in 2022 is what he meant.

While I think he has a valid point, a team full of one year mercenaries can only go so far (I think of Kentucky who always seems to sign the best basketball recruits but they are all 1 and done and while good, they have 1 NCAA championship since 1999) his statement is still BS that they are doing it with "zero" portal kids.
Agreed Kentucky is definitely an example but I look at Duke which went the one and done route and has one two championships and same with Kansas which has one.. I think with football you need more unity because of so many moving pieces that are required to win the whole thing.

Advertisement
There isnt a reason for kids to portal INTO there right now...wait till he has the early juniors leave if they are talented enough to.

You shouldnt have to hit the portal when your on year 5 str8 of top 5 classes though.

There main holes or less talent is at qb and wr if i can recall and they dont throw it enough for a good wr to transfer in and they start the Stetson Bennet kid if Patrick Mahomes were to portal there so. They loss a wr to the portal because of their offensive scheme lol

I'd take Lucas in a heartbeat. I loved that kid as a prospect and he is still fresh. That's instant competition there and another able body to push 56.
Is he playing inside for TAMU because he made it clear as a recruit he was only willing to play DE

Advertisement
Back