Wiltfong on the portal....

Advertisement
always found it curious - the concept of elite guys portaling. IMO, that's a big risk and it hasn't been that prevalent. Yet Fong and others have implied that loads of elite guys will go portaling this off season.

always found it curious - the concept of elite guys portaling. IMO, that's a big risk and it hasn't been that prevalent. Yet Fong and others have implied that loads of elite guys will go portaling this off season.
Has to be NIL based. If your an elite guy..and know there are 6-7 figure deals being made out there..and your current school doesnt have NIL..you giving them the Nino Brown, "This is business, not personal" speech as you walk into the portal. lol

Agreed. Only consideration is if highly productive guy in smaller program feels like they aren’t getting enough exposure or being mis-utilized in their given system and changing programs to one with more exposure and/or a better fitting system will improve their draft stock several rounds (or they just want a natty or to be in the school of their dreams). Either way the NFL is pretty good at finding players at any level but an extra boost in a better system can’t hurt.

Has to be NIL based. If your an elite guy..and know there are 6-7 figure deals being made out there..and your current school doesnt have NIL..you giving them the Nino Brown, "This is business, not personal" speech as you walk into the portal. lol
Yeah you’re right; it’s not even just about the NFL if a smaller school star can get a great NIL deal by transferring, too

Advertisement
I’ve been waiting for this off-season for a long time. The movement around signing day, NILs, portals…this should be unprecedented. We will see how it shakes out though.

Advertisement
What’s the new window timeframe with the portal? Or did they never implement that?

Yeah, good point but it's a double edged sword. You're running the risk of going to a scheme that is tough for you and you're not as productive and then your draft stock lowers.

Agreed. Only consideration is if highly productive guy in smaller program feels like they aren’t getting enough exposure or being mis-utilized in their given system and changing programs to one with more exposure and/or a better fitting system will improve their draft stock several rounds (or they just want a natty or to be in the school of their dreams). Either way the NFL is pretty good at finding players at any level but an extra boost in a better system can’t hurt.

Sure, yeah but that's not the type of elite talent I'm referring to. I'm talking about the big time P5 guy that goes to another big time P5. It's rare.

Let the portal Floweeeee!!!!!!!
Speaking of which, what happened to him? I know we always have the never ending rumor of him coming here, but has he been hurt? I checked in on his stats because I do think he is a very good player and in the OT loss to washington he had 1 tackle. He has recorded stats in 8 games and by far his best game was against UGA with 10 total tackles (5 solo 5 assist) but on the season he has only 14 solo tackles (19 assists) no sacks, no forced fumbles, no INT or PD, what is going on?

As far as this topic, yes it is no shock in the new era of college ball kids need to be recruited constantly. It is not always a small time school either. Look at Addison, Pitt was likely on par with USC the past few seasons and they def can get players drafted but he saw a better scheme fit, better prestige with USC and prob better money. Same with a guy like Jermaine Burton, transferred from the national champs, from a school known for paying top dollar, to Bama.

Speaking of which, what happened to him? I know we always have the never ending rumor of him coming here, but has he been hurt? I checked in on his stats because I do think he is a very good player and in the OT loss to washington he had 1 tackle. He has recorded stats in 8 games and by far his best game was against UGA with 10 total tackles (5 solo 5 assist) but on the season he has only 14 solo tackles (19 assists) no sacks, no forced fumbles, no INT or PD, what is going on?

As far as this topic, yes it is no shock in the new era of college ball kids need to be recruited constantly. It is not always a small time school either. Look at Addison, Pitt was likely on par with USC the past few seasons and they def can get players drafted but he saw a better scheme fit, better prestige with USC and prob better money. Same with a guy like Jermaine Burton, transferred from the national champs, from a school known for paying top dollar, to Bama.
It seems Bama has gotten elite players from other Top P5 schools every year portal has been open

Advertisement
Interesting thing about Addison is that Pitt's leading receiver has about 200 more receiving yards than Addison this year. With that said, USC is in the hunt for a playoff spot so that's a decent tradeoff.

Advertisement
Interesting thing about Addison is that Pitt's leading receiver has about 200 more receiving yards than Addison this year. With that said, USC is in the hunt for a playoff spot so that's a decent tradeoff.
That’s not the full equation. When you factor in the NIL deal he got he’s

team winning GIF

All football players except QBs, Punters, and Kickers typically have brief windows in which to earn money. The average NFL career for draft picks is under 5 years.

It would dumb not to maximize your earning potential before your career is over.

20-25 players leaving us via portal doesn’t seem crazy. Wouldn’t be shocked if some of our better players leave, too, to try to raise their profile. I hope not but thems the breaks

Advertisement
Back